Small hands - best brifter?

drubie

Small hands - best brifter?

Postby drubie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:43 pm

(sorry for the intrusion ladies).

My daughter has graduated to a proper road bike - although she is right now limited to scrounged parts (a 48cm steel shogun frame with 700c wheels). Standover height is a bit so-so but she can cope with it.

On the indoor trainer, when I tried her out with some Campagnolo 8 speed Ergo levers, she could reach the brakes OK but on the road it was a different story (she's 11). The old 8 speed ones are quite fat compared to 10 speed but I didn't want to quite go down that path just yet.

Before I get all mega-spendy on a whole new bike for her (assuming she keeps up the cycling), what are the best shifters for smaller hands? If I have to go SRAM then I will but don't want to shell out the money for something that won't fit.

Are the different styles of Shimano lever different in reach? I've heard mixed results on shimming the levers for smaller hands.

Any help appreciated.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

Yongkun

Re: Small hands - best brifter?

Postby Yongkun » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Campagnolo or SRAM for sure.

Infact i hated my SRAM Red brake levers as they were too thin and went back to 6700, hurt my fingers during hard braking descents. I got huge palms and i find that 6700 provided me with the best fit so far, as with any other shimano "brifters", they tend to be larger in size, require more reach.

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:10 pm

Shimano has a non-series STI ST-R600 for small hands with adjustable reach. Quality is Ultegra.
Cheers,
George.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:34 pm

gclark8 wrote:Shimano has a non-series STI ST-R600 for small hands with adjustable reach. Quality is Ultegra.
Digging around the usual suspects, I can't find the R600. The SRAM red is probably a little expensive for this exercise.

the SRAM Apex looks interesting (other than the price - far out!) Supposed to have adjustable reach...

I suppose if the 2008 Veloce levers on my main road bike are easier to reach than the 8 speed ones I'd have an excuse to upgrade my own rig. I think in some ways it'd be easier to stick to campag if we can (we can share wheelsets then) but I'm not that familiar with the "Gumby" looking new campag levers and what they are like in the hands.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

waynohh

Postby waynohh » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:16 pm

Apex group is $550, comes with brakes that actually work, a 165mm compact crank, 11-28 cassette and can be transferred to a new bike or split up and ebayed. I doubt you'll find a better candidate. http://www.this link is broken/Kits ... elID=51959

All sram shifters have the same shape, so if she can't reach adjusted close on another bike, she won't reach the apex ones.