Waving to Other Riders.

fishwop
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Waving to Other Riders.

Postby fishwop » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:09 pm

OK I am a man. But this concerns you women and I'm soliciting your advice and opinions, so at the risk of incurring the wrath of the mods (modesses?) here goes.

It's been done to death elsewhere and I've read them all but nowhere do the girls themselves explain their position.

As cyclists, we wave or nod to other cyclists we pass. Well most of us do anyway. I do pretty much all the time.

Motorcyclists do the same to each other. Except for Harleys. Harley riders only wave to other Harley riders. Because Harleys and their lookalikes are easy to distinguish from other machinery, it is easy to avoid being embarrassed by waving to a Harley rider only to receive a filthy look in return. Conversely, only Harley riders can tell a Harley from a lookalike when approaching at speed, so the unfortunate riders of non-Harley cruisers receive waves from no-one.

It has never been a secret why this state of affairs persists. Harley riders consider themselves a higher form of being than riders of other makes of motorbike, on the basis of an insignia on the fuel tank, and even acknowledging the existence of other machinery is quite beneath them. These folk make no apologies for this, and everyone knows where they stand.

Now to bicycles. Most riders do wave back to you, but there are exceptions. About a quarter of the blokes in full lycra who look like they are serious racing-type riders look down their nose at you. And pretty damn close to 100% of full-lycra wearing females. Females in street clothes, those that you see on bikes, mostly wave back. It's the ones half my age, half my weight and double my speed that don't, almost without exception.

These are my theories on this phenomenon-

1. The girls are worried that if they give a man any acknowlegement at all, he might turn and give chase, following them home. I dismiss this mainly because these girls are pretty damn swift riders and should be able to see for themselves that a fat old git like me could never catch them. Even if I happened to be on an e-bike. In fact, I'd have trouble on the RGV250 (which is a road registrable racing motorcycle) parked in the garage, such is the zephyr-like velocity of these vixens.

2. I do wear lycra knicks for utilitarian reasons on my commute (which includes the M7 cycleway which is pretty much the only place I see female riders, never have I seen a single one plying the M4 shoulder, or grinding up Mt Druitt, or riding in search of redemption at St Marys) but don't see the need for multi-coloured club racing-type gear to commute or even on a fun ride, so I wear an ordinary shirt or t-shirt. So maybe the girls (and some of the blokes) are into a bit of elitism much like the Harley fellows.

3. My bike is a Giant Defy 3 with a luggage rack and often I carry a backpack, and I aint all that fast. Just a couple of steps up from what is regarded around here as a BSO (more elitism here, it certainly is rife in this sport if I may point this out- a fact ruthlessly exploited by some manufacturers of bikes and accessories to the delight of their accountants, but I digress...). My mount is 100% perfectly matched to my standard of riding and does what I require of it quite admirably. To be honest I have trouble telling a $1200 bike from a $6000 one out on the road coming in the other direction, and telling the gender of the rider is often challenging too. So maybe my bike is not expensive enough to earn a wave.

4. Cyclists, like motorcyclists, are a minority. This is why they wave to each other. You don't wave to a bloke in a Toyota as a rule. But in places where girl riders are to be found, like the M7 cycleway, there are no cars. So blokes become the majority and chicks the minority. So for the same reason we don't wave to Toyotas on the road, chicks don't wave to us on the cycleway.

There may be another reason. Girls, what do you say.
Last edited by fishwop on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Max
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Waving to Other Riders.

Postby Max » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:01 pm

If someone waves at me, I wave back. I don't usually initiate a wave unless I know the wavee. I usually say good morning when I overtake a rider or group.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

User avatar
CommuRider
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:26 pm

I nod. If they're grumpy looking I don't. I like being on the bike and if they're grumpy on the bike they don't deserve my nod :-P

And having been on the forums for over a year now I can tell who has an expensive bike and who doesn't. It's the rider not the bike that makes the difference. Hope that helps you.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

User avatar
zephy
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:29 am
Location: South Oz

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby zephy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm not a waver, a nodder I guess as it is ingrained from the motorcycling days but I feel most cyclists aren't aware of the 'nod'...... if in close proximity, I don't care who it is from chicks, to kids, to racing types I say g'day as that is part of my country lad upbringing.... if they reply... great... if they don't well maybe they're enjoying their ride so much in there own world that they don't want it disturbed by acknowledging others, their choice..... I've done my bit....

as for females, I see far fewer than males but most reply and those that don't I can understand why not in todays society if they choose not too....

have you noticed any difference if you are wearing cycling type glasses or not? visible eye contact and all that.....
Just an ol' man, riding an ol' bike.... every hill feels like Alpe d'Heuz....

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 29011
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:53 pm

CommuRider wrote:And having been on the forums for over a year now... SNIP


Sorry mate, it only feels that way :wink:

I'll often wave or nod if it's safe to do so but most of the time I wouldn't have a clue who I'm waving at. Usually I'm looking at the scoot thinking: "Oh yeah baby, I'd like to ride YOU hard and fast..." :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

User avatar
CommuRider
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:55 pm

:lol:

Steep learning curve...
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

fishwop
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby fishwop » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:27 pm

CommuRider wrote: If they're grumpy looking I don't.


May I respectfully suggest that looks can be deceiving? Especially in those getting on in years, not in the peak of physical condition, carrying huge weight penalties and who probably are just barely overcoming that hill you are so joyously flying down.

Some people are just more smiley than others.

But thanks for your input anyway.

User avatar
CommuRider
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Mate, the last thing I'd want if I am lugging my 10kg panniers up the hill is nodding back to someone wheeeing down the hill! I meant nodding during the flats when passing a fellow cyclist. And of course not all people are smileys or nodders or whatever. :roll:

No wonder why the other greeting threads splutter a small death - finding one's cycling niche and getting censured for not being properly receptive. Btw, I have never come across your scenario no.1 so strong assumption there.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

User avatar
Schmenz
Posts: 493
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:48 am

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby Schmenz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:03 pm

i havent come across this, but i wave at everyone. even if they are close to eachother!

although if im on a hard hill ill nod.

ill even say hi how ya going as they go past me! :)

im just friendly i guess. :oops:
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

Parker
Posts: 1687
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby Parker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:44 pm

I wave to people who wear the same club kit as me (its like a rule) and I always acknowledge other female riders who are dressed in lycra and riding road bikes and I wave to people I know or if I know them I chase them down.

I ride in about 3 places, the blvd, beach road and Kinglake. At the blvd I'm working hard and don't have time for you, on beach road there are too many people and I'd end up with an injury (RSI), also on beach road I'm with my boyfriend most of the time training and he's better to look at than 99% of all of the MAMILS so I'm not actually paying attention to you anyway and on the way to Kinglake it will depend on how I feel and which route I've taken as to how wrecked I am.

Its got nothing to do with you being male, we're not on the road for the same reasons, I don't go riding to wave at people, I go riding to train.

User avatar
jet-ski
Posts: 1404
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:51 pm
Location: Perth WA
Contact:

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby jet-ski » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Hm. I wave back. I don't initiate waves. I ride all of the bikes in my sig in varying attire, and I get the most waves from other cyclists if I'm on my TCR in lycra. Even had a guy pull up and start a conversation with me as I was riding down to Mandurah last Sunday, we were just N of Kwinana. I wondered afterwards if he was a member of this forum.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

User avatar
hannos
Posts: 4105
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby hannos » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Parker wrote:also on beach road I'm with my boyfriend most of the time training and he's better to look at than 99% of all of the MAMILS so I'm not actually paying attention to you anyway



That's because I'm not there, else you'd be perving on my lycra-clad butt :mrgreen:
2010 BMC SLC01

Parker
Posts: 1687
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby Parker » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:55 pm

hannos wrote:
Parker wrote:also on beach road I'm with my boyfriend most of the time training and he's better to look at than 99% of all of the MAMILS so I'm not actually paying attention to you anyway



That's because I'm not there, else you'd be perving on my lycra-clad butt :mrgreen:

Nope, I don't think so, very happy looking at the butt that I get to look at, there's a reason why I ride slower than him!

User avatar
grasshopper
Posts: 331
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:04 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby grasshopper » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 pm

fishwop wrote:4. Cyclists, like motorcyclists, are a minority. This is why they wave to each other.

Well, clearly we don't. If I'm in the car, I don't wave to other drivers (except the 'thanks for sharing a narrow street' wave) so I'm not sure why you think we should do so on a bike. :? You find elitsm, but I suspect it's more about cycling being normalised. Sure, if I see someone I know I'll smile or wave, and sometimes guys will roll alongside for a little while to chat. But I won't be waving to complete strangers. That would feel a bit weird. Actually, if I'm on the bike, I'm more likely to wave/nod to drivers for particular good manners or good sense (I think of it like puppy training). :wink:
Last edited by grasshopper on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CommuRider
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby CommuRider » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:09 pm

I do the hazard light blinking when I thank fellow, courteous drivers :-)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Fresh
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby Fresh » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:26 pm

I nodded to a smokin hot chick riding the other way on Tuesday. She smiled and waved. It made me go happy in pants.

Ozkaban
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:34 pm

When I'm running almost everyone waves or nods. When on the bike I find about 50% wave back. I'll only nod/wave if we're both on the flat... On hills one or both of us is working too hard.

User avatar
wheels46
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 am

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby wheels46 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Back in the 70s we did because you knew everybody (ie; all were racers from varying clubs)... these days you'd get a repetitive strain injury waving at every rider in Melbourne. :roll:

User avatar
Apple
Posts: 3509
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby Apple » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:27 pm

fishwop wrote:-

1. The girls are worried that if they give a man any acknowlegement at all, he might turn and give chase, following them home. I dismiss this mainly because these girls are pretty damn swift riders and should be able to see for themselves that a fat old git like me could never catch them. There may be another reason. Girls, what do you say.



Well, I dont look and I don't wave, cant stand people saying hello, where are you going, ( I say where you are not going is my destination) other saying are "nice day. love your bike, great lycra etc etc.

once I am in lycra I am no longer a gentile. "Just ride your bike and shout up" is on the back of my lycra Jersey

Have a nice day. 8)
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

fishwop
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby fishwop » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:39 pm

CommuRider wrote: Btw, I have never come across your scenario no.1 so strong assumption there.


1 was a bit of an attempt at humour that went through to the keeper it seems.

Apple wrote:"Just ride your bike and shout up" is on the back of my lycra Jersey


Maybe that is why they are asking you such things?

User avatar
Apple
Posts: 3509
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby Apple » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:51 pm

fishwop wrote:
CommuRider wrote: Btw, I have never come across your scenario no.1 so strong assumption there.


1 was a bit of an attempt at humour that went through to the keeper it seems.

Apple wrote:"Just ride your bike and shout up" is on the back of my lycra Jersey


Maybe that is why they are asking you such things?

You are right, I just checked it. damn they spelled it wrong :shock:
Have to get it fixed. :mrgreen:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

fishwop
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby fishwop » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:06 pm

grasshopper wrote:
fishwop wrote:4. Cyclists, like motorcyclists, are a minority. This is why they wave to each other.

Well, clearly we don't. If I'm in the car, I don't wave to other drivers (except the 'thanks for sharing a narrow street' wave) so I'm not sure why you think we should do so on a bike.


I don't really have an opinion either way as to whether you or anyone should do it. I do it as a throwback to motorcycling, and because it seems to be the norm, although clearly the majority of one gender does it and the majority of the other doesn't, and I belong to the gender that does. I can avoid waving to Harley riders so I suppose I can avoid waving (or nodding or whatever) to females too. Unless I know them, but that will be easy as I don't really know any female riders.

grasshopper wrote: :? You find elitsm,


Yes I do, and right here on this forum. eg Cheap bikes are spoken of in disparaging manner as I pointed out earlier. I suspect cycling elitism doesn't do much for attracting newcomers to the pursuit.

User avatar
jet-ski
Posts: 1404
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:51 pm
Location: Perth WA
Contact:

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby jet-ski » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Waving is for sissies. I wave back to people to be polite. I barely talk to people off the bike, so they should be thankful that I will talk to them on it.... sure, the forum is elitist, that is why everyone said they would welcome an Oppy A4 rider into their riding group. :roll:
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

fishwop
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby fishwop » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:39 pm

jet-ski wrote:Waving is for sissies.


Quite the contrary. The whole point of this thread is that they are the ones who don't, and I was wondering why.

Nobody
Posts: 8869
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Waving to Other Riders.

Postby Nobody » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:09 pm

CommuRider wrote:And having been on the forums for over a year now I can tell who has an expensive bike and who doesn't.
How do you know this? What is your definition of an expensive bike?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users