Comman-donts?

squeakywheel

Comman-donts?

Postby squeakywheel » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Theres a topic on the general discussion wall about 'going commando' under knick and bibs, and how it improves comfort etc.
I'm wondering if girls make a habit of doing it?

I just cant bring myself to do it. I'm paranoid that my knicks might split or be old, worn and see-through, or I'll have a crash and they'll get torn up. I know its supposed to prevent chafe and granted, I probably dont ride far enough for it to be a concern, but I am wondering if there is any obvious benefit for us females?

marinmomma

Re: Comman-donts?

Postby marinmomma » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:56 pm

nikkie wrote:Theres a topic on the general discussion wall about 'going commando' under knick and bibs, and how it improves comfort etc.
I'm wondering if girls make a habit of doing it?

I just cant bring myself to do it. I'm paranoid that my knicks might split or be old, worn and see-through, or I'll have a crash and they'll get torn up. I know its supposed to prevent chafe and granted, I probably dont ride far enough for it to be a concern, but I am wondering if there is any obvious benefit for us females?

Same for females as for the guys...going commando prevents chafing and the chamois works best when it is in direct contact with skin as the good ones help absorb mositure especially on longer rides...30+ ks.

If your knicks/bibs are old/worn or see-through then it's time to dump them and get a new pair :wink:

hth
Lisa

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Chances are any knickers worn under the knicks will get torn up in a prang too. Most Ambos are too polite to look :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

blossy84

Postby blossy84 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:00 am

I'm the same as you nikkie. I wear undies under my knicks. Cant bring myself to go commando. I do wear seamless ones or at least ones with minimal seams otherwise I can get saddle sores where the elastic sits around the leg.
i love my bike(s)

kellyu

Postby kellyu » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:41 am

What on earth would be the point of wearing clothing that minimizes your likelihood of chafing, and then wearing underneath that piece of clothing, something that can cause chafing?

Commando.

And the see thru thing? Just don't wear worn out knicks.

(and if you can, go for bibs!)

Max

Comman-donts?

Postby Max » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:17 am

For a long time, I wore undies under my nicks, and never - NOT ONCE - experienced chafing. Yes, they were long rides (100km +). Yes, it was hot. Yes, I sweated. Yes, I even went fast! No chafing. The only reason I decided to go commando was that a bike ride inevitably meant two sets of undies in a day, and I just plain started running out of undies.

If riding with undies works for you, why not do it?

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

squeakywheel

Postby squeakywheel » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:43 pm

Thanks for the answers. I guess I was just wondering how necessary it was for girls versus guys, consdiering differences in anatomy and surface area I suppose. I may try and overcome my self conciousness and give it a go.
Just wondering, are you likely to chafe if you went commando in your knicks and wore shorts over the knicks?

kellyu

Postby kellyu » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:51 pm

Not really - you could get shy shorts.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Most of the obviously experienced girls I see out on drop-bar road bikes while I'm riding out to the trails at Terrey Hills seem to go commando.

Knicks and bibnicks are designed to and do function best when worn directly next to the skin. If modesty or social appropriateness is a concern, shorts or compressionwear over the knicks are the way to go rather than wearing something under the knicks.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:27 am

Hrmm, at the risk of TMI, no qualms with commando in-principle, and generally wear cheapy shy-shorts, but after a while I found I wasn't vibing too well with synthetics. Plus the seams were skritchy so reluctantly, I put the cotton undies back into the mix. Given the commute routine on some days I can get through 3-4 pairs, which has thrown the laundry rotation out a little ... to the point I've ended up commando at work more times than I'd want to count :oops:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; RIP “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX - 2006-2018

squeakywheel

Postby squeakywheel » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:29 pm

I ovecame my phobia and gave it a go this morning.
After a while I didnt even notice I wasnt wearing any daks and forgot to be self conscious. Comfort wise it was all good, although the ride was cut short (30ish km) due to a series of hitches my cycling partner and I experienced; niggling injury, rain, flat tyre.
I'll try it again on a longer distance next time :)

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:14 pm

life's to short to wear undies

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:36 pm

Parker wrote:life's to short to wear undies

Ummmmm.... :lol: :lol:

@Lizzy: I'm normally one who finds seams mega-annoying, and until having taken up cycling generally insisted on cotton for everything that contacts my skin.

Some cheaper knicks and bibknicks still used to be "skritchy" (like that word :D) but the recent pairs of Giordana bibs that I bought on sale have been outstanding and I have been pleasantly surprised by not needing chamois cream even for 3 hour+ rides.

That may change with time and wear of course, but my thought is... you do get what you pay for.

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:43 pm

trailgumby wrote:

Umm.... :lol: :lol:

What? It is!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:44 pm

Parker wrote:
trailgumby wrote:

Umm.... :lol: :lol:

What? It is!

You crack me up :lol:

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:47 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Parker wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Umm.... :lol: :lol:

What? It is!

You crack me up :lol:

I crack me up! I expect to crack you up!

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:40 pm

erin wrote:I'm the same as you nikkie. I wear undies under my knicks. Cant bring myself to go commando. I do wear seamless ones or at least ones with minimal seams otherwise I can get saddle sores where the elastic sits around the leg.

As long as you don't wear hot pink ones underneath your see-through knicks....not a good look, said look passed by me this week :roll:
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:47 pm

but the above does remind me of once when I saw something along that line, lycra stretched over hot pink undies underneath. part of me wanted to alert her, but then the sensible side said say nothing lest I be accused of being a perve. just had a quiet smile to myself as I passed her.

Me too, until she over took me up Deadman's Hill at Dutton Park.... :roll:
Lisa