Any advice for my GF?

ILMB

Re: Any advice for my GF?

Postby ILMB » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:51 pm

I started riding again 10 months ago after a break of 15+ years. I hate formalised exercising with a passion, so my motivation was to minimise use of the car. Secondary bonus is that I have improved overall fitness, and am maintaining my weight despite starting the "change".

I use my bike for all transport and chores within a 20km radius of home.

I have paniers on the back, plus a basket on the front. Ride in regular clothes.

Cycling is not an occasion or activity any more, but part of day-to-day life. But I will still not go out for a ride for the fun of it, as that puts it back into the realms of *EXERCISE* (shock horror). Yeah, I know it's irrational.

I now feel guilty on the trips when I do need to get the car out.

I guess establishing a credible, rewarding motive for cycling will be the key.

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:47 pm

I'd also like the say thanks for all the good tips. I'm about 2-3 weeks off paying off a Specialized Expedition Sport for my wife as well. I restored an old huffy ladies MTB style BSO for her to get the feel of riding again (she was sure she'd have forgotten how, despite the old adage), and I couldn't understand why she was uncomfortable on it. My own rides are recumbent trikes, scratch-built to fit me, and the fit and weight distribution hadn't entered my mind (beyond adjusting the seat and handlebars to the right height, and I know little beyond the basics for fitting a bike to the rider, so they are probably still not correct). I'll be sure she comes with me to collect her new ride so the bike mechanic at the LBS can fit it to her correctly.

I'm also going to shamelessly steal the picnic idea. When we first got together we used to go drive some place for the same purpose, and I think riding out to some secluded spot will appeal to her greatly :)

Now, if I could just get her on a recumbent trike... ;)

Dent.

geekgirl

Postby geekgirl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:16 pm

As a female who became obsessed with cycling at an early age it's hard for me to comment on how to entice someone into it, however I think creating a link between how she approaches sport maybe key. So if she likes social sport creating links between cycling and being social could be good. The ideas of picnics, massages all sound great to me! Wineries and weekends away with little bits of cycling may also help. If she's competive then spin claasses and a racing club maybe more her style.

I think you may also have to accept that cycling with your GF maybe different to your normal way of cycling irrespective of how much she likes it. She may never view it the same as you - just like anything else.

Something I once liked a lot was a boyfriend who cleaned down BOTH our bikes after a ride telling me he wanted to make sure I was safe out on the road when I went out without him - that worked better than a massage :) I traded by cooking a yummy dinner while he made sure we were both safe. Something I dislike is men who hover at the tops of hills waiting or worse looping back down to see how their partner is going indicating just how slow they are (even when by normal standards they're not).

The weight difference in bikes and clunky gear always gets to me too (when i see couples out riding) so perhaps until she gets better (or you upgrade the bike) offer to carry her things to make it that bit easier - you are bike fit after all. Then later when she's more interested she can indulge in some retail therapy by finding her own carriers etc. Rest stops at coffee shops, art galleries, pubs are all great distractions so she doesn't notice the distance but also a great way to build memories of your trips out.