Should I ride with my wife?

thecaptn

Re: Should I ride with my wife?

Postby thecaptn » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Well we had a nice time but we'd be lucky to have ridden together more than twice since my last post. Basically I ride quite a lot and wifey doesn't ride, it's an amicable arangement because we realise that we don't need to share all of our passions. There are other passtimes which we enjoy together such as working in the veggie patch or playing Scrabble. Our last holiday revolved around cycling but we took only one bicycle and only I rode it, wifey tagged along in the car or went to the shops, we had a nice time. I enjoy my cycle touring alone and wifey is going overseas to walk with one of her friends without me, I'm not sure if this is normal for partners to have some holidays apart but it suits us on occassions. Of course we miss each other when we're not together but at the end of the day we're still individuals with our own mountains to climb and it's due to our great relationship and mutual respect for each other that allows us this freedom. I hope this answers your question.

Wakatuki

Re: Should I ride with my wife?

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Proabably nothing new to be said.
But don't push anyone into anything. I found buy just going at Pams speed and supporting her and not sprinting off, it helped.
Got her into Strava that really motivated, she nagged herself to get better. Buying Pam a great bike has done her wonders mentally too, every top 10 result makes her very happy, she holds a few QOM too, why? Not because she is super fast, although she is at times often above 35kph on the roadie, but because she is the only woman to have ridden them using strava! Some places are really tough too, but she has a go and that's all I need. She rode up the montville in total dark (with bike lights) with me and 4 other blokes on a winters night and put in her fastest time to that point (until she got the new bike). She is still the only woman I know off to ride it at night. I ride on Wed and Fri in fast groups, Sunday is basically a recovery ride for me, but non the less we are out riding, together. Dry it's roadies, wet it's fire trials and MTB's.
I would love to try a tandem but I need to be stocker and pilot or we will for ever be on the brakes! It is also the cycling thing we don't agree on, she won't even consider it. One day I will hire one as a shocker!
Wifes and cycling..................been good for me.