Beginner Road Cyclist

CEB46

Beginner Road Cyclist

Postby CEB46 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi, I am new to road cycling after ride a very old road bike (with gears on the frame) and enjoying myself greatly! I am now looking to buy my first road bike for fitness and fun. I am approx. 168cm tall, weight 46kg and am expected to grow a little more. I guess I would be a small or small/medium.
My price range is nothing over $1000 and would prefer something in unisex colours (no pinks or purples) as I would like to hand it down to my brother when he is older and change the seat and length of bars etc. to mens parts.
I mainly ride on road and pathways. But if I could find a cheap good quality cross road/x-road/cyclocross I would prefer that so that the bike could be more versatile however most are out of my price range.

Here are some bikes I have tested out at my local bike store:
Giant Defy 2 - 2012
Giant Avail 3 – 2013
Giant Defy 3 – 2011 and 2013
Fuji Roubaix 3.0 2012
Fuji Finest 2.0 – 2011 and 2012
I know some are mens bikes but I was told I can change some parts to fit me and change them back to the mens parts when my brother wants it. They are all about the same price range. I know that there are so many different options but the giant and Fuji bikes are the main ones I have tried and liked.

gorilla monsoon

Re: Beginner Road Cyclist

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Buy the one you like the most. It's that simple.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

kait

Postby kait » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Find the one that's the most comfortable, then check ebay & gumtree for if you can get it cheaper secondhand ;)

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:19 pm

All of those bikes seem fine, though I'll add one. The Malvern Star Oppy Alu range is pretty nice for the money. You could probably find an A4 for $1000 - which would be a full Tiagra groupset. I had the A5 (105 level) which I loved - very nice to ride. A car wrecked it and out of the parts left over I bought a second hand giant defy frame and put all the 105 bits and Aksium wheels back on it. I really don't think it's as nice to ride as the Oppy.

Cheers,
Dave