Sore

Summernight

Re: Sore

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 am

Wakatuki wrote:A short session of me talking to Pam about this last night and raising the concept of spending money to resolve this revealed she failed to cream up before the ride! So perhaps the soreness is partially her fault she said. However the pain she really suffers and has never told be about before is her coxis, (tail bone) on longer rides.
Now that's a new one. Pam, unfortunately will not venture into a osteopath about this as she is to embarrassed, so I have no idea how this is going to be resolved.....
Probably resolved by spending oodles of money on new saddles, unfortunately. :P

I'm not sure how her tail bone could be getting in contact with the saddle. If she is in an aggressive posture she would be leaning forward, right? All the weight should be on the sit bones. It may be referred pain. But I'm no expert.

eg. http://www.sspphysio.com.au/page/coccyx_pain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(P.S. At the bottom they have a tip to relaxing your pelvis - but they use the analogy of chocolate. Now I want some chocolate!!!)

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:03 pm

Pam had some, intimate surgery and after the final operation, she said it felt like the bone was bruised, dislocated... In fact more pain from this than the operation!
That's why I really want her to see a Psysio or Chiro etc.
I think it must be referred pain. As she is really an aggressive forward leaner. I will start working on it.

I am happy to spend oodles on a saddle if it makes cycling pleasurable.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Ouch. Sounds not nice at all.

Good luck with it. Seeing someone expert in that area sounds like the go then if there was a previous operation as she might need something completely outside the square (possibly non-cycling related) to resolve her pain.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:18 am

Finally, sorted out a you tube account. My first video of Pam doing that rocking thing while climbing hills, filmed one handed, on iPhone, climbing, busted derailleur cable so stuck in nasty gear. So I'm breathing hard, that's not Pam! Soreness this ride was not mentioned, but she did fall off later on so I think other pains were on her mind. :)

She is ok though. Gear here is a compact tiagra set up. On small crank and a 30 on the back, I think.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:05 am

Wow, she does get a good old sway up! My first thought (not as any kind of expert) is that she should be aiming for a lower gear and more cadence rather than the obvious effort she is doing now. She also seems to be putting a lot of her weight on her arms, which is the opposite of what I was advised to do when climbing when I had some coaching at the beginning of the year. Maybe a few lessons with a female coach would be a good investment?

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:25 am

Hi Venus,

Yeah that the lowest gear available to her, this is a 7-8% grade section of the climb. (according to strava) Perhaps a gift voucher for her birthday!!!!
She is getting stronger and faster though.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:57 am

Wakatuki wrote:Hi Venus,

Yeah that the lowest gear available to her, this is a 7-8% grade section of the climb. (according to strava) Perhaps a gift voucher for her birthday!!!!
She is getting stronger and faster though.
Ah. Fair enough. Running out of low gears isn't fun! I'm very much still working on my hill fitness too. It is amazing how quickly it does improve with practice though. I'm going into my granny gear less and less (but really nice to have it there as an option!).

toppity

Postby toppity » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:52 am

hands on top of the bars will reduce the ability to sway, but being able to spin more is what is required. Go to the LBS and ask about options. Perhaps a triple is the answer on the front?
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

Wakatuki

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:43 am

Update for all future readers.
Pam went up a frame size into a Giant TCR-W. It came with a Fizik Arione Donna, which seemingly is a match made in heaven, soreness gone.