as a bloke I'm appalled

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby cooperplace » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:32 pm

recently I was riding through the suburbs about 30m behind my wife and a female friend of hers (they're both fitter than me), so I got a great view of the unwanted attentions they were getting from males. Pedestrians, in cars, wherever, blokes seemed to think that 2 women riding along was ideal opportunity to make innane and silly comments and gestures. It was a real eye-opener. I thought, guys, if only you knew how stupid you look.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.
cooperplace
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:42 pm
Location: Adelaide

by BNA » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:18 pm

BNA
 

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby marinmomma » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:18 pm

I have had grief from male cyclists when riding on my own or with just female friends....on one occasion it was my mistake and I apologized but some bloke just went troppo at me and continued the abuse for a k or so as we kept riding.

I believe if my cycling partner was a male at the time it wouldn't have continued!
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:06 pm

With the apparent wide spread use of PED's in sport, just put it down to "'roid rage"... Leave it to imagination to decide if that is hema- or ste- ... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
User avatar
brett.hooker
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby cooperplace » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:10 pm

these weren't male cyclists, they were people on the street.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.
cooperplace
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:42 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Venus62 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:26 pm

cooperplace wrote:these weren't male cyclists, they were people on the street.


You've had a small glimpse of life as a female...
Venus62
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby cooperplace » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:32 am

Venus62 wrote:
cooperplace wrote:these weren't male cyclists, they were people on the street.


You've had a small glimpse of life as a female...

yes, I realize that. I'm riding along, seeing these guys behave like d%^kh**ds, thinking, my god, women have to put up with this crap all the time.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.
cooperplace
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:42 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Howzat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:25 am

I hope you gave them a serve :evil:
User avatar
Howzat
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Comedian » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 am

Disappointing. :(
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:19 pm

Comedian wrote:Disappointing. :(

But not surprising :( :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25694
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Apple » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:53 pm

I love it, that's why I ride :D :mrgreen:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Summernight » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:18 pm

I've had what I assume was a 'Cor blimey [she's hot]'. And I've also been called a" [unspeakable] mole". But the second one was a pushy car driver who didn't know the rules of the road (and yes, he probably wouldn't have said that if I wasn't by myself and if I hadn't been asserting my right to be on the road.)

I'm not that offended by someone looking and appreciating - it would be the comments and gestures that would be crossing the line for me. If they look but don't talk then I'm none the wiser that they're appreciating. It's not as if I'm not looking at an attractive male cyclist if one does roll past. I just won't be shouting out my appreciation of his fine physique. :lol:

My sister apparently was walking along a street years ago and a guy walked past in the opposite direction and did the usual turn the head to watch her walk away and while he was distracted he walked into a pole. That story always makes me smile.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1593
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby newie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Having now entered the invisibility zone (aka the wrong side of 40 for a woman) I sometimes don't mind being noticed when I am out on the bike. But it is all in the manner of noticing, whether it feel respectful but appreciative, or somehow denigrating. It is hard to exactly say what makes the difference. And probably each woman will react differently. I usually don't mind when I see blokes sitting in their car, thinking they are getting away with a sneaky perve. But maybe they are looking at the bike, not the rider. I have wondered whether the boys on bikes would be disappointed if they realised I was checking out their bike, not them.
newie
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:49 pm

cooperplace wrote:recently I was riding through the suburbs about 30m behind my wife and a female friend of hers (they're both fitter than me), so I got a great view of the unwanted attentions they were getting from males.

Nice neighborhood you ride around then?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5299
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Apple » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Summernight wrote:. And I've also been called a" [unspeakable] mole". But the second one was a pushy car driver who didn't know the rules of the road (and yes, he probably wouldn't have said that if I wasn't by myself and if I hadn't been asserting my right to be on the road.)


That is amazing, :shock: if you read one of my earlier posts I had the same comment F****** Mole, Nice. :twisted: What sort of language is this. Is it a certain age group that uses it? Or could it be the same driver :mrgreen:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby clackers » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Apple wrote: I had the same comment F****** Mole, Nice. :twisted: What sort of language is this. Is it a certain age group that uses it? :


I can see the rat-tail, stretch jeans and packet of Winnie Blue from here, Apple. :smile:
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1948
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:21 am

Apple wrote:
Summernight wrote:. And I've also been called a" [unspeakable] mole". But the second one was a pushy car driver who didn't know the rules of the road (and yes, he probably wouldn't have said that if I wasn't by myself and if I hadn't been asserting my right to be on the road.)


That is amazing, :shock: if you read one of my earlier posts I had the same comment F****** Mole, Nice. :twisted: What sort of language is this. Is it a certain age group that uses it? Or could it be the same driver :mrgreen:


He was a 20s-30s driving a white Subaru in a Richmond, VIC quiet side street cut through for those too impatient and aggressive to travel down Victoria Street or Bridge Road to the city. And before you attack all white Subarus I also drive one. :lol:
It is strange that some people's first reaction is to go straight to the gender specific abuse.

newie wrote: But maybe they are looking at the bike, not the rider. I have wondered whether the boys on bikes would be disappointed if they realised I was checking out their bike, not them.


I do that now too - checking out the bikes and gear and looking on with envy. Not just with guys though. There is a lady in my office building that I think has a stash of multiple Pinarellos and she commutes on the 'cheap' one to work - she doesn't lock it up downstairs with the other bikes but takes it into her office (as you should with such an expensive bike). I definitely look on in envy when I see her lovely bright pink Pinarello in the mornings. :lol:

newie wrote:Having now entered the invisibility zone (aka the wrong side of 40 for a woman) I sometimes don't mind being noticed when I am out on the bike.


Have you tried changing your hair colour? I only mention that because I have also heard of the invisibility zone from my mother and apparently it is particularly noticeable for blondes. When they are younger they get lots of attention and preferential treatment, then they hit 40 and BAM! Invisible!

My mother told me that although brunettes don't get the stunned mullet looks from males when they are younger they do start getting noticed as they age and don't have the same invisibility gene as the blondes do. :D

Although please ignore if you are a brunette already. :roll:
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1593
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby outnabike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:09 pm

This young bloke was just about to close the door of his car when a pretty girl walked past.He closed the door on his thumb and yelped. Certainly got a nice smile from the girl, and raucous laughter from a few blokes around him.Took me a week for that thumb to stop hurting.... :lol:
User avatar
outnabike
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:38 pm

I saw the builders on a new housing site this morning staring very blatantly at the pretty girl in short shorts as she crossed the road (I was in my car waiting for her to cross so I could turn right). It was like three meerkats all sticking their heads out of their holes.
One of the builders noticed me watching him watching her. It was amusing. :)
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1593
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Summernight wrote:I've had what I assume was a 'Cor blimey [she's hot]'. And I've also been called a" [unspeakable] mole". But the second one was a pushy car driver who didn't know the rules of the road (and yes, he probably wouldn't have said that if I wasn't by myself and if I hadn't been asserting my right to be on the road.)

I'm not that offended by someone looking and appreciating - it would be the comments and gestures that would be crossing the line for me. If they look but don't talk then I'm none the wiser that they're appreciating. It's not as if I'm not looking at an attractive male cyclist if one does roll past. I just won't be shouting out my appreciation of his fine physique. :lol:

My sister apparently was walking along a street years ago and a guy walked past in the opposite direction and did the usual turn the head to watch her walk away and while he was distracted he walked into a pole. That story always makes me smile.


This post wins this thread IMO, in particular my highlight. Guys do it, girls do it. Hell, my wife does it. Even used to point out the occasional one to me until I started returning serve :lol:

Worry about your owns actions, no point in worrying about other peoples.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5692
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby newie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:32 pm

Summernight wrote:

My mother told me that although brunettes don't get the stunned mullet looks from males when they are younger they do start getting noticed as they age and don't have the same invisibility gene as the blondes do. :D

Although please ignore if you are a brunette already. :roll:

Already brunette. Luckily I am not too bothered at all about being even more invisible now.
newie
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Apple » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:57 pm

newie wrote:
Summernight wrote:

My mother told me that although brunettes don't get the stunned mullet looks from males when they are younger they do start getting noticed as they age and don't have the same invisibility gene as the blondes do. :D

Although please ignore if you are a brunette already. :roll:

Already brunette. Luckily I am not too bothered at all about being even more invisible now.

I am a brunette as well, and a wog, I thought of colouring my hair blond but I would just look like Effie :roll:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!
User avatar
Apple
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:00 pm
Location: sydney

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:25 pm

And what's wrong with that? :lol: :lol:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10271
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:11 am

trailgumby wrote:And what's wrong with that? :lol: :lol:

Plenty, too many bottle blondes out there already.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25694
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 am

Mulger bill wrote:
trailgumby wrote:And what's wrong with that? :lol: :lol:

Plenty, too many bottle blondes out there already.


And one Effie in this world is enough... :lol:
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1593
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: as a bloke I'm appalled

Postby Venus62 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 am

Mulger bill wrote:
trailgumby wrote:And what's wrong with that? :lol: :lol:

Plenty, too many bottle blondes out there already.


Some of us are natural blondes. We do exist!
Venus62
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:55 am
Location: Brisbane

Next

Return to Women's Cycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit