Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby marnie&matt » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi Everyone

I have no idea at all about mountain biking. Short story is my husband doesn't want to go biking unless I come with. He used to ride in his youth and was good at it. I don't even know if I will be able to ride off road but I am willing to try.

So what do I buy? Do I buy something for $800 like a Focus black forest 5.0 29R or something dearer like a Specialized Yett for about $1500? Or something else?

The idea of easy trails sounds like fun and riding around on bike paths and roads is also on the agenda. Don't know how hard we will get into this but I like bush walking so I'm hoping I will enjoy mountain biking as well. But a certainty is the local riding around the burbs.

All thoughts and guidance would be appreciated.

Marnie
marnie&matt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

by BNA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:41 pm

BNA
 

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby marnie&matt » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Looks like what we have been told is that a men's small is okay being a mountain bike. We have been told it isn't as critical in a mountain bike as it is in a road bike to have it measured to your body. A small mens will be just as good as a womens frame also. So on this advice we are looking at a couple of 'specialised' bikes, that are a discontinued model. We will see the bikes during the week when they have them in stock.
marnie&matt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby isabella24 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:46 am

Hi Marnie, I'm not a mountain biker, but can give you a few general pointers about buying a bike as they tend to be the same and no one else is replying to your thread!
Generally speaking, as a women, you will be offered a choice of a 'women's specific' or 'men's style' frames. You don't have to get the women's specific frame, they are usually just set up for smaller body types, and even then, they seem to be more of a marketing gimmick than a bike that actually suits 'women' - all women's bodies are different! So if you are a 'normal' or 'larger/taller' woman you may actually be more comfortable on a 'men's type' frame. You could be a 'smaller' man and be more comfortable on a womens specific bike! The key is to pick whatever frame fits you the best and whichever you feel the most comfortable on.
Try and find a bike shop that are willing to let you test ride the bike, even if its only round the block a few times. This will give you at least some idea of how comfortable you are on it. Don't get pressured into buying a certain size just because its the only one they have in stock. Ask them to get in the size you want to try or go and try it at another store. A size that feels 'ok' might do for a while, but a size that fits well might prevent fit related injuries further down the track. Find a shop that gives you good advice and spends time with you - a shop you can build up some rapport with.
At your price range, $1000-$1500, my advice would be to go with a 'hardtail' i.e a bike with front suspension only. Don't go with a 'dually', a bike with both front and rear suspension. A 'dually' in this price range is probably more likely to have lesser quality components and be heavier and therefore less fun for a person new to MTB riding. Especially as the type of riding you are looking at doing is on easy trails, paths and roads, the rear suspension is most likely not needed.

Specialized is a good make of bike, although from my experience they can be a little expensive for what you get, however you mentioned you were looking at some discontinued models which you should be getting cheaper i hope! Giant are a brand that most people agree are very good value for money, but at the end of the day, the choice is up to you. Make sure it's a bike that fits you and that you feel comfortable riding. Everything else, components, wheels, etc you can change later on if they don't suit.
Best of luck!

DISCLAIMER: Please someone correct me if I'm wrong as my MTB experience is from around 10 years ago and things might have substantially improved by now!
User avatar
isabella24
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:54 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:36 pm

isabella24 wrote:DISCLAIMER: Please someone correct me if I'm wrong as my MTB experience is from around 10 years ago and things might have substantially improved by now!

Nope, nothing. +1

Welcome outside Marnie. :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25816
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby thejester » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:23 pm

for $1500 at this time of year you could get a carbon 29er, nice and light with big bouncy lightweight tyres.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie
thejester
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: ACT - tuggeranong

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby marnie&matt » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:15 pm

thejester wrote:for $1500 at this time of year you could get a carbon 29er, nice and light with big bouncy lightweight tyres.


Gosh thats sounds like fantastic value. Is it common to buy a carbon 29er at this time of year for that price? What brand is it? I like the idea of a light frame being new to the sport. But it I think it would now be an upgrade as Matt has bought, but not yet paid for the Specialise Hardrock sport disc for $600 each. Well we haven't test rode them yet as they didn't have one in stock.

Thanks for the comments and help so far. It all really is a lot to get my head around when I'm not sure what or how much I will be riding.

So far I have looked into some U-tube videos of the easy trails and I'm loving the idea of it. Just not sure of myself till I actually do it. Self confidence is not a strong point for me, but I like to try or give most things a go.

Thanks again everyone.
Marnie
marnie&matt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby isabella24 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Good luck Marnie. I'm sure whatever you get will be good fun and I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Just remember, if you're like the rest of us, you'll get 'upgrade-itis' and in no time you'll be looking at something better anyway :-)
User avatar
isabella24
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:54 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Welcome aboard,

Where are you from? I'm sure someone on here can point out some easy trails...

New to MTB's myself and hooked. Although I do really still like my roadie, maybe I'm bicycle!
User avatar
Wakatuki
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Qld

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby marnie&matt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Welcome aboard,

Where are you from? I'm sure someone on here can point out some easy trails...

New to MTB's myself and hooked. Although I do really still like my roadie, maybe I'm bicycle!



Hi,
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am from Maroochydore, Sunshine Coast.

In the last few weeks I've been very good because the weather has been excellent. Last week was my best week and overall completed 100klm. Best ride todate was Sunday. We cycled to Coolum had breakfast and cycled home. A round trip of about 43klm. Speed at the moment ranges between 15-17klm/hr. Needless to say the last few klm were killers on my sit bones. Sore sore and more sore. But yesterday I got back on my bike and did a 35klm ride to point cartwright, around kawana lake and home via bike paths through bright water/sunshine motorway/mountain creek. That was long enough. Today was probably too soon to get back on the bike but I only did a short trip to the end of Parklyn parade and back, 15klm. But my sit bones are smarting. It's okay as it's only the bones that are aching.

One thing that I need help with and will put another post up for is; I use sunblock on my arms and legs and am still getting a suntan mark. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?
marnie&matt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby marnie&matt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Just to let everyone know, we bought our bikes 4 weeks ago and bought beginner Mountain bikes - 29rs. The brand is Specialised and we paid $600 on sale. For the moment we are extremely happy with them but we haven't had them long enough or know what is good or not. I will say I love my bike.

I feel great when I have gone out for a ride, especially now that I am getting stronger. I'm still not fit or fast, but I am having fun and loving it.
marnie&matt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:46 pm

marnie&matt wrote:Just to let everyone know, we bought our bikes 4 weeks ago and bought beginner Mountain bikes - 29rs. The brand is Specialised and we paid $600 on sale. For the moment we are extremely happy with them but we haven't had them long enough or know what is good or not. I will say I love my bike.

I feel great when I have gone out for a ride, especially now that I am getting stronger. I'm still not fit or fast, but I am having fun and loving it.



Had to repost this just to allow the sheer awesomeness of it some more airtime :D

This: I am having fun and loving it. is what it's all about M&M, everything else about riding is just the chocolate sauce and crushed nuts topping off that enormous bowl of icecream :D

Have a ball on yer new scoots, don't forget the obligatory pics :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25816
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby marnie&matt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:34 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
marnie&matt wrote:Just to let everyone know, we bought our bikes 4 weeks ago and bought beginner Mountain bikes - 29rs. The brand is Specialised and we paid $600 on sale. For the moment we are extremely happy with them but we haven't had them long enough or know what is good or not. I will say I love my bike.

I feel great when I have gone out for a ride, especially now that I am getting stronger. I'm still not fit or fast, but I am having fun and loving it.



Had to repost this just to allow the sheer awesomeness of it some more airtime :D

This: I am having fun and loving it. is what it's all about M&M, everything else about riding is just the chocolate sauce and crushed nuts topping off that enormous bowl of icecream :D

Have a ball on yer new scoots, don't forget the obligatory pics :wink:

Shaun



Why can't I just push a button on here that says, 'LIKE' or 'you're awesome' or 'THANKS for your advice'.

Cheers
Marnie
marnie&matt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby Blue Racer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:27 am

Hi,

My daughter has recently taken to my wife's MTB (she has outgrown her own bike) although she has declared that "she doesn't do terrain". Like you she is thoroughly enjoying getting out and about and increasing her distance/time on the bike, but also was complaining about the sore sit bones (she used a different term). Some real cycling knicks has increased her enjoyment ten fold. It's just a suggestion that you may like to try.

Cheers
Blue Racer
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:07 am

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby marnie&matt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Blue Racer wrote:Hi,

My daughter has recently taken to my wife's MTB (she has outgrown her own bike) although she has declared that "she doesn't do terrain". Like you she is thoroughly enjoying getting out and about and increasing her distance/time on the bike, but also was complaining about the sore sit bones (she used a different term). Some real cycling knicks has increased her enjoyment ten fold. It's just a suggestion that you may like to try.

Cheers


Hi
So happy for your daughter if she is having half the fun I am with her age she will be all over it.

I have a good quality pair of knicks but but but.. :-) My theory is stay in the saddle. And if it hurts tomorrow throw in some grassy areas so I can appreciate the smooth paths. :-)

Yesterday I cycled 32klm and today I did the same route. I'm not the fastest but comfortably able to now cycle at 17klm / hour. Far cry from a few weeks ago. However lots of hills will still be a challenge for the future.

Marnie x
marnie&matt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:32 am

Hi Marnie,
Apologies for the late reply. I am from Palmwoods, my wife Pam (forever 49!) is looking for some casual rides. I cannot ride at the moment (see the cycling health section, ouch)
We have both MTB's and Roadies. Pam is happy on both but I honestly think she prefers the MTB and dare not tell me! Pam has done some rough off road stuff and despite getting mudded up, scabby knees and a rock to the face, still loves it. (do not be put off by this! :lol: )

We bought the MTB's for fun, social rides, unsealed roads, some light trail work and bike paths etc. Definitely not hardcore on the MTB!

Technical MTB, relatively safe training can be undertaken at ruff end MTB park at the Big Pineapple http://goo.gl/an8MNI

Have a look at Ewen Maddock for a nice ride see http://goo.gl/twdUV7 nice site or council http://goo.gl/npUAvE for that ride and others :D

One ride we did down the coast was from Fishermans Rd sports ground to Moolooba Spit, very social, a bite to eat then rode back. Also the Nicklin Way tourist info center (opposite the old Harvey Norman) to Currimundi lake to the cafe taking Oceanic Drive and popping out onto the Nicklin Way when we had to, trying to stay as coastal or on as many back streets as possible.
Feel free to PM me to arrange a meet. I work in Maroochydore.

Enjoy the cycling bug!
User avatar
Wakatuki
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Qld

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby marnie&matt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Wakatuki wrote:Hi Marnie,
Apologies for the late reply. I am from Palmwoods, my wife Pam (forever 49!) is looking for some casual rides. I cannot ride at the moment (see the cycling health section, ouch)
We have both MTB's and Roadies. Pam is happy on both but I honestly think she prefers the MTB and dare not tell me! Pam has done some rough off road stuff and despite getting mudded up, scabby knees and a rock to the face, still loves it. (do not be put off by this! :lol: )

We bought the MTB's for fun, social rides, unsealed roads, some light trail work and bike paths etc. Definitely not hardcore on the MTB!

Technical MTB, relatively safe training can be undertaken at ruff end MTB park at the Big Pineapple http://goo.gl/an8MNI

Have a look at Ewen Maddock for a nice ride see http://goo.gl/twdUV7 nice site or council http://goo.gl/npUAvE for that ride and others :D

One ride we did down the coast was from Fishermans Rd sports ground to Moolooba Spit, very social, a bite to eat then rode back. Also the Nicklin Way tourist info center (opposite the old Harvey Norman) to Currimundi lake to the cafe taking Oceanic Drive and popping out onto the Nicklin Way when we had to, trying to stay as coastal or on as many back streets as possible.
Feel free to PM me to arrange a meet. I work in Maroochydore.

Enjoy the cycling bug!


Thanks I will send you a PM for Pam as I read you post and she may need a buddy. But she probably has heaps to choose from as she has been cycling for awhile. Besides I'm not sure if eating Pam's dust is good for the health, 49 or not. Just very quietly 49 isn't such a bad age!!!!!! Considering I will be turning 49 myself soon. hahahahahaha :cry: :cry: :cry:
marnie&matt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Pam is 52, 49 forever :)
User avatar
Wakatuki
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm
Location: Qld

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby marnie&matt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:58 am

Just an update.

Seems like so long ago since I first posted my cry for help. Since then we have cycled just shy of 2000klm and an average speed of just over 20klm/hr. Have I lots lots of weight due to the time spent cycling? Thats a no. I feel there are too many coffees and breakfasts included. And Matt uses it as an excuse to have another treat at some other time saying we work it off. :shock: hmmm not true, I carry my spare wheel with me. :lol: But the truth is we are both much fitter and while we still feel tired between rides, we also miss riding when the weather is bad. Bad weather for us isn't just rain it's also when it's windy - too much hard work. *Soft…. Sure I like to make fun of myself all the time.

So cycling is so much fun, we now have made it part of our lives, for which I am so surprised, we are now upgrading and buying better bikes. Again not sure about what to buy but I am leaving that to Matt. I do wish I could get something so superior to his bike, as he is so much stronger and naturally able physically. I just would like to be able to challenge him more as I feel like I hold him back from cycling faster. I've even wondered whether I should be buying a road bike, and Matt ride a another MTB. Would that make it more even? 8)

Anyway, life is better on bikes.
marnie&matt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby clackers » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:33 am

marnie&matt wrote: I do wish I could get something so superior to his bike, as he is so much stronger and naturally able physically. I just would like to be able to challenge him more as I feel like I hold him back from cycling faster. I've even wondered whether I should be buying a road bike, and Matt ride a another MTB. Would that make it more even? 8) .


That would be changing the bike, but not the engine, Marnie. Doesn't work. :)

My wife, who's ... er ... 49 ... can't match the time I've spent on the bike so there's always going to be a mismatch in our capabilities as well.

We've solved that by doing an electric pedal assist conversion on her cyclocross bike.

She led *me* into the wind during the recent Around The Bay.
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby marnie&matt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:26 pm

clackers wrote:
marnie&matt wrote: I do wish I could get something so superior to his bike, as he is so much stronger and naturally able physically. I just would like to be able to challenge him more as I feel like I hold him back from cycling faster. I've even wondered whether I should be buying a road bike, and Matt ride a another MTB. Would that make it more even? 8) .


That would be changing the bike, but not the engine, Marnie. Doesn't work. :)

My wife, who's ... er ... 49 ... can't match the time I've spent on the bike so there's always going to be a mismatch in our capabilities as well.

We've solved that by doing an electric pedal assist conversion on her cyclocross bike.

She led *me* into the wind during the recent Around The Bay.



Is this legal??? :shock: I don't want to feel like I'm not putting enough effort in.
marnie&matt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby clackers » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:09 pm

marnie&matt wrote:

Is this legal??? :shock: I don't want to feel like I'm not putting enough effort in.


No throttle ... hers adds in about 200W on the flat and about 100W up climbs when pedalling.

The rest of the effort has to come from you. :)

But if you can make up the difference in power between your husband and you by building more muscle and increasing aerobic capacity, great.
Last edited by clackers on Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
clackers
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 10:48 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby marnie&matt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:48 pm

clackers wrote:
marnie&matt wrote:



No throttle ... hers adds in about 200W on the flat and about 100W up climbs when pedalling.

The rest of the effort has to come from you. :)

But if you can make up the difference in power between your husband and you by building more muscle and increasing endurance, great.


Will google this. Torn….. I don't wish to be too soft. I also don't want to get bigger legs muscles. But I don't mind burning off fat around them though.

I still have saddle issues and am about to buy a 3rd saddle. It seems every time I push to the next level of time spent on the bike (3-4 hrs) my bones have issues, but that's another thread.

So any advantage to get an extra 5klm/hr would be great. Mulgar Bill suggested to let 15psi out of his tires, but that will only work once. :wink:
marnie&matt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby trailgumby » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:57 pm

You will.not get bigger leg muscles. Cycling is an endurance sport. It simply doesn't do that to you. What you will get is toned legs that look really hawt B)

If you really want to get bigger legs you will have to do heavy weights and low repetitions. Cycling won't do it for you.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10309
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:54 pm

trailgumby wrote:If you really want to get bigger legs you will have to do heavy weights and low repetitions. Cycling won't do it for you.

You sure? :wink:
Image
Image
Lesson is clear Marnie, stay off the boards :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25816
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Help. I have no idea. I need to buy my first MB

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
trailgumby wrote:If you really want to get bigger legs you will have to do heavy weights and low repetitions. Cycling won't do it for you.

You sure? :wink:
Image

Yep - I'm pretty sure...

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5356
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Next

Return to Women's Cycling

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit