What to do about a bike club

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

What to do about a bike club

Postby Chesterini » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi Ladies

I'm just taking up cycling, primarily to commute but I always take these things too far so I would love to join in group rides and see where it takes me. There is no official bike club in my area that I'm aware of but recently I test rode a bike at a store in my area and they mentioned that they have a ladies ride. They said I could join in once I was fit but that was when I was looking at their bike. My only problem is that the bike/brand I want isn't sold by the bike store and I'll need to get it from another one. Seeing as it isn't a club as such I'm not sure if there is a kind of etiquette where I actually need to buy things from the store to take part? I was thinking I would try for the pedals or maybe some shorts but it really would be a token gesture compared to buying a bike. There are other groups that have offered to help me but they're all men and very hard core about it - read doing stages of the TDF, racing etc. I don't even own a bike yet and that is a bit off the deep end for my liking... So, can I buy a different brand of bike and expect to join in their little bikey group and ride into the sunset or am I gearing up for my first biking heart break?
Chesterini

by BNA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:11 am

BNA

Re: What to do about a bike club

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:11 am

G'Day Chesterini, welcome outside :)

I honestly can't tell you much but some shops and groups are very insular with all sorts of oddish conventions and some aren't. I'm not going to guess about your locals but if you let us know roughly where you are, someone may be able to offer better advice.

Good luck and have fun :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Pax » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:28 am

Hey there and welcome

Most Shops that run bunch rides are happy for anyone to join regardless of whether you buy a bike from them. They know that the first bike you buy won't be your last, and that once you are hooked you will buy nicks, arm warmers, jerseys, gillet, gloves, get your bike serviced, etc etc so they still see you as a valued customer / future-customer.

Also on the bigger picture, they are also in an industry that is only starting to tap the female "market" so supporting women who are new to the sport and lifestyle of cycling is all good news to them.

Give them a call I'd be surprised if they knock you back.

Enjoy!
Pax

Postby nickobec » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Pax wrote:Most Shops that run bunch rides are happy for anyone to join regardless of whether you buy a bike from them. They know that the first bike you buy won't be your last, and that once you are hooked you will buy nicks, arm warmers, jerseys, gillet, gloves, get your bike serviced, etc etc so they still see you as a valued customer / future-customer.

+1

Ask the bike shop, I would be very surprised if they said no.

My local bike shop encourages me to ride with them, even though I never have bought a bike from them, I am a decent bike mechanic that does my own work and buy almost all my gear online.
nickobec

Postby macca33 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Agree with the above sentiments. I live in a town where we have two respected LBS - one sells abc brands and the other sells xyz brands. I have a good relationship with both - purchased my bike from one, make most of my other purchases from the other. Both proprietors are good people and regularly participate in social / bunch rides - imparting their knowledge / assistance freely. They also support the local cycling club, so it is a win win for the area.

I wouldn't think that you would be excluded / shunned because you bought a bike elsewhere, so get your bike and get out there - you'll find that people are very accommodating to new riders.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 - Ultegra6700 | CAAD10 Team - DA7800

macca33

Postby Chesterini » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:04 am

Thanks guys, I've got a long way to go until I'm fit enough but I'll give it a crack once I'm ready. Come to think of it they were lovely so I'm sure it will be fine but I did want to see if I was breaking cycling rules beforehand!
The worlds easier to love on a bike
Chesterini

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:19 am

Chesterini wrote:Thanks guys, I've got a long way to go until I'm fit enough but I'll give it a crack once I'm ready. Come to think of it they were lovely so I'm sure it will be fine but I did want to see if I was breaking cycling rules beforehand!

Where are you located Chesterini? In Brisbane I can point you to a cycle training company that caters for novice riders and will look after you on rides. I'd be surprised if there weren't similar in other cities.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Chesterini » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:11 am

Hey RonK, I'm based in Melbourne but if I'm ever up in Brisbane I'll be sure to give you a shout :)
Chesterini

Postby yolk » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:27 am

I recently joined a group of enthusiast cyclists who organise group ride in Melbourne. Have gone on a couple of long/short rides with them and find it to be quite enjoyable. We just did a ride to Frankston and back to the cbd yesterday despite the horrid weather. There was a mix of 20/30 fast/social riders that took part and the group was split in two to make it manageable first group 20-25kmh avg and the second group 25-35kmh avg which naturally got split into smaller groups along the way.

There's another ride today which will be from Flinders heading to Moone Ponds via the capital city trail aimed for more social riders.

Look for Melbourne Cycling on meetup or Facebook if you're ever interested in joining

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
yolk

Postby Chesterini » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks yolk! That sounds ideal, I can't wait to join in. Any tips on getting fit enough to join in beyond just riding my pants off? Like how far should I be comfortable going on my own and what speeds should I be looking for? I really have no idea but looking forward to the leg work!
Chesterini

Postby grasshopper » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:59 pm

I'd agree with others here that most shops would be happy to have you along, depending on the skill level and speed needed for their rides. There are clubs all over Melbourne, most of which have their own character. A few things to consider - does a given club have the facilities that you think might interest you (like a velodrome or track program), busy social life, juniors program, is it local, do you have friends in the same club ...

CV also has some development options for women, and your council will know of local riding groups. As your skill and fitness increases, the options multiply too with some of the bigger stores and brands running women's rides. The CV page also has links to the list of Melbourne clubs. If Cogs Girls is still running (call Bike Now for details), they teach bunch skills to beginners. Have fun. :)
grasshopper

Return to Women's Cycling