Solo - Perth and South Coast WA

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Solo - Perth and South Coast WA

Postby mieke207 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:47 am

Hi there,

I plan to cycle south of Perth in November this year. Solo, probably, since I have not yet managed to find a riding buddy. I was wondering whether:
1. It is safe to cycle solo as a woman in WA ( I don't know about this, since I'm from the Netherlands and have never been to Australia.)
2. If there are any forums where Australian cyclists can meet. Since I prefer cycling with someone else, I could probably try and find a riding buddy from Australia?

I have quite some experience in tour cycling in Europe, where cycling solo is safe in the majority of countries, but this trip will be a whole new type of adventure for me. Hope you can help me out! ;)

Mieke.
mieke207

by BNA » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:47 pm

BNA

Re: Solo - Perth and South Coast WA

Postby Lizzy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:47 pm

Hi Mieke & welcome :)

I would say the answer to question 1 is that it is as safe as anywhere, as long as you use common sense and the same precautions you would in any unfamiliar place. I haven't done any long-distance touring but I don't think I'd feel unsafe to do it on my own (I just don't have the time or the equipment ... yet!).

I expect some others more experienced in this stuff will come up with some more & better info soon - but the Touring Australia section of this forum will probably be a good resource for you.

The cycle touring association of WA is probably also a good starting point for you in terms of meeting potential riding buddies: http://ctawa.asn.au/ctawa/membership.

Good luck!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Despite what you may have heard, we are actually quite civilized here in Australia. :)

It's not so unusual for women to travel solo here.

The same commonsense security precautions that apply to solo women travellers in Europe would apply here also.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby mieke207 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Hey, thanks for your replies! I already expected Australia to be similar to Europe when it comes to safety, but my mom is quite anxious about my plans (as moms always are, of course). ;)

I'll have a look at the cycle touring association website!
Carrying everything you need in just a few panniers is the ultimate freedom! ( http://millionworlds.wordpress.com/ )
mieke207

Postby nickobec » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:29 am

Start a few weeks earlier, mid october as mid november in when universities finish for the year and all the coastal resorts south of Perth are full of drunken university students for a week or so. Then it gets worse, it is "schoolies" week so the same towns are now overflowing with 17 years old celebrating their end of school. Then a couple of weeks of peace before school holidays start.
nickobec

Return to Women's Cycling