Sun tan marks after using sunblock - Help

marnie&matt

Sun tan marks after using sunblock - Help

Postby marnie&matt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi

In the last 3-4 weeks we have been going out on our new bikes in all our gear and lathering up with sunblock. I hate to say it but I am still getting a tan on my arms between my sleeve edge and my glove, my knicks and my socks. I probably wouldn't worry but considering I am loving cycling I can see it only getting worse. I can see me in summer with shorts on, a lilly white slice of thigh and then brown till my ankle. I did think about knicks to the ankles, but living in Queensland I thought they might get very hot over the summer months.

Suggestions please on how to prevent this.

Thanks
Marnie

Summernight

Re: Sun tan marks after using sunblock - Help

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:26 pm

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :P

I don't think there is too much you can do (apart from covering up completely) except put on some fake tan on the non-tanned areas to even the tan lines out if it is bothering you - sunblock doesn't stop the tan, just reduces the bad stuff getting through that gives you cancer.

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:37 pm

BHAHAHAHAHAHA

:-)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Piebald and proud!
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:46 am

You can get lightweight arm and leg coolers. These are like arm and leg warmers but made from light, wicking fabrics. They are actually cooler to wear in sunny conditions as they keep the direct sun off your skin but still allow sweat to evaporate for cooling. Google will find lots of them.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:34 pm

fake tan everywhere else...?

joshnh

Postby joshnh » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:41 pm

rdp_au wrote:You can get lightweight arm and leg coolers. These are like arm and leg warmers but made from light, wicking fabrics. They are actually cooler to wear in sunny conditions as they keep the direct sun off your skin but still allow sweat to evaporate for cooling. Google will find lots of them.
Yeah, this is what I do when I'm going to be in the saddle for many hours on a sunny day. Saves me having to reapply sunscreen mid-ride.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 (Ultegra Di2)

Focus Mares AX 2.0

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Some of the major cycling apparel firms do UPF50+ arm protection - Netti, De soto and others. It's a lighter Lycra than arm 'warmers' which are usually fleecy, and they will carry a swing tag or label saying they are 50+ (some of the dodgy ones won't). The fabric supplier has to get it tested through the radiation lab to use that ticket. I've only seen one brand of the UPF legs locally, but others might do them.

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Wow, I can't believe no one has linked to Velominati - The Rules.
RULE #7 // Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp.
Under no circumstances should one be rolling up their sleeves or shorts in an effort to somehow diminish one’s tan lines. Sleeveless jerseys are under no circumstances to be employed.
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LM324

Postby LM324 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Sunscreen doesnt stop tans

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:26 pm

briztoon wrote:Wow, I can't believe no one has linked to Velominati - The Rules.
RULE #7 // Tan lines should be cultivated and kept razor sharp.
Under no circumstances should one be rolling up their sleeves or shorts in an effort to somehow diminish one’s tan lines. Sleeveless jerseys are under no circumstances to be employed.
http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LOVE IT!!! Laughed so hard. :-)

Thank you everyone. It's not what I really wanted to hear. 8-/ So now I am riding with a light outer layer for the moment till I decided if I should; a) wear the arm protection sleeve, b) buy a new shirt but long sleeve, c) go riding in the dark, d) ride naked ;-)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:58 am

Or e) Embrace the tan lines and show them proudly as a badge of honour. :wink:

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:14 pm

Summernight wrote:Or e) Embrace the tan lines and show them proudly as a badge of honour. :wink:
'Knoath! They are proof of a body used correctly IMHO. Back in my dinghy sailing days you could see the outline of the buttons on my watch.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:16 pm

That computer guy looks too underweight.... and he's surrounded by females. I call Bulldust!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:55 pm

Summernight wrote:Or e) Embrace the tan lines and show them proudly as a badge of honour. :wink:
Did you have a goooood look at the girl in the pink bikini? :shock: sigh! Why is it that the toned bits will be brown and the worst parts on me are white. Spray tan here I come. Wonder if you get a discount for not spraying your whole body? :D

Parker

Postby Parker » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Stay inside

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:13 am

Parker wrote:Stay inside
Or ride naked and get an all over tan. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

marnie&matt

Postby marnie&matt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:08 am

Just an update…

To avoid most of the tan lines we;
a) wear sun sleeves - they work a treat. A little hotter at first but worth not exposing the skin to the sun.
b) get up early and cycle at dawn. Hard to do when the handsome half is a shift worker but we do our best. We try for 4am wake, departure 4.30am.
c) wear sunscreen on the legs. I heard my mother in law laughing at me yesterday while I was wearing a pair of shorts. :shock: She thought is wars funny that I was lilly white to mid thigh, very tanned to the knee, and lightly tanned to the ankle. :roll: Oh well.

Marnie

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Meh, it's a badge of honor us cyclists wear with honor. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:40 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Meh, it's a badge of honor us cyclists wear with honor. :mrgreen:

Foo
Actually, it's a thing I quite dislike about cycling. I find it a bit challenging to wear sleeveless dresses and high heels with a cycling tan. I especially dislike looking as if I'm wearing white socks. It detracts from my preferred clothing style.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Full length light weight pants. For summer riding it may get warm but look for summer ones. To save added arm warmers, I wonder if long arm women's cycling jerseys are easily available.
Cycling is in my BNA

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:23 am

Arm coolers. Go onto eBay and search for them. UV protection and cools your arms.