Advice on road bike for beginner female

geoffs

Re: Advice on road bike for beginner female

Postby geoffs » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Ok Parker, I am wrong. I made a generalisation
Specialized do make slight tweaks to their womens bikes. However if you are really bored, go and have a look through some catalogues

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Actually they've made significant changes, including the way that they lay the CF

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Have a look at the Reid stuff, I was lucky in that I had a trip to Sydney planned and visited the shop yesterday, you might not be so lucky.

If ordering online is OK with you have a look through their range and see if anything will suit.

If it's your first road bike you might be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,

Tont

RickyBob24

Postby RickyBob24 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:32 am

Hi! Wondering how you are getting on with finding a bike?

I commute to work daily also and have clocked up quite a few thous kms on a cheap giant avail 2011end of line model, originally with a Sora groupset. (Female Specific). Over the past few years have gradually added to the groupset as things have worn out so its a bit of a mix, sora/105/ultegra. Definatly notice the quality difference from sora to 105/ultegra mix. However i think if you maintain your bike regularly particulary if you ride in alot of bad weather the grade of groupset isnt too much of an issue. I notice that a few people have commented that they dont feel there is much of a difference between male and female frames, however i would tend to disagree. I also own a BH speedrom which i use for more serious riding, not a female specific and feel that reach length can be a bit of an issue despite having the shortest poss stem lenght, women traditonally have longer legs than arms. This might not be the case for the taller more althletic shaped ladies, however being a 163 female with a bit of extra padding i find the frames tend to be a little more compact and suit me better. I could be wrong but i think womens bikes have been designed to carry their riders center of gravity which sits a lot lower than our male counterparts :) All in all i'd say go for a female specific for that added bit of comfort and ease on the body and depending on if you are going to be doing more riding outside of commuting i wouldnt get too wrapped up in the grade of groupset, you can always upgrade.
Hope this is of some help if you havnt already got yourself a steed :)

BerraLiz

Postby BerraLiz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi everyone,

Goodness - it's been a while since I logged in to check the forum. Thank you all for your awesome advice (and debate).

I bought my new bike about a month ago and I went with the Malvern Star Oppy - carbon (women's specific) frame, tiagra components. It has made riding SO MUCH fun and I've spent a lot of time on my bike over the past few weeks.

Thanks again!

thejester

Postby thejester » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:44 pm

Nice.
Did you come and see me at all? (Pushy's)
Did I give you good advice if you did? :shock:
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

BerraLiz

Postby BerraLiz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:15 pm

thejester - I did go to Pushy's. I can't remember exactly who I spoke to there, but I'm assuming it wasn't you.