Cycling round Europe

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Cycling round Europe

Postby Eleri » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:48 am

I'm cycling in Europe at the moment and about to start the Haute Route Pyrenees tomorrow. It's a 7 day cyclo-sportif that starts in Barcelona and crosses over to the Bay of Biscay - nearly 800kms and about 20,000m of climbing in 7 days.

Registration and pre-ride briefing was tonight. I didn't spot too many women there so I'll be interested to see who else is mad enough to do this. There's 400 riders altogether and 40 year old men seem to predominate.

After that, assuming I can still look at my bike, I'm joining some friends on a cycle tour through France for a week before heading off to Italy for another couple of races and then a few days in the UK where I'm hoping to get to race at Herne Hill velodrome. A big few weeks!

I've started a blog that I'm hoping I'll have the capacity (both brain and wi-fi) to keep up over the next week and then beyond. The blog is here.
Eleri

by BNA » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:57 am

BNA

Re: Cycling round Europe

Postby briztoon » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:57 am

Good luck Eleri, and have fun. Very jealous of you. Hope you take plenty of photos.
briztoon

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Look forward to reading about it. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Look after yourself and enjoy the suffering :-)
Saw an all girl team signing on post on Facebook last night.
Have fun... All though it is their first time in the Pyrenees, they are supposed to be extremely well run events.
toolonglegs

Postby Eleri » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:02 pm

Some of the all-girl team beat quite a few of the blokes. Including some I'm riding with. Chicked!

Feeling OK so far, 6 days to go!
Eleri

Postby Eleri » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:52 am

I can tell you all that this was an extremely well run event. Sure there were hiccoughs from time to time, but really really worth doing.

We finished yesterday (Saturday) in Biarritz after 7 days of racing across the Pyrenees. My goal was to make cutoff each day, which I easily achieved. I came second in my age-group of 50-59 women. There were only 2 of us, both of us riding bikes with 650c wheels.

All up 33 women rode including some really fast women who rode up the front for most of the time. I'm delighted that I finished 25th in the women and 301st overall.

I did blog the whole thing, with pictures.
Eleri

Postby kunama » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:37 am

Congratulations, what a great ride. Read your blog ......... impressive!!!!
kunama

Postby Eleri » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:59 am

kunama wrote:Congratulations, what a great ride. Read your blog ......... impressive!!!!

Thank you!

It's been lovely to get feedback and the discipline of writing it has been good for me. Apart from anything else, when you've climbed over 20 cols they get a bit mixed up in your memory. Well in mine anyway.

I also figured that if I can do it, anyone can. I'm just an average woman club rider really.
Eleri

Postby Eleri » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:05 am

And probably worth noting this where Australian women really made their mark.

The UCI World Cycling Tour for masters and amateurs wrapped up on Sunday in Trento, Italy with Australians winning 8 medals and celebrating a dual World Champion - Gaye Lynn.

The ITT was held in and around Cavedine, Trentino and was a beautiful setting with a very challenging climb in the 24km course. Many said it was the hardest ITT they had ever done.

The Medio and Gran Fondos both finished at the top of the 20km climb up a famous Giro d’Italia climb, Mount Bondone. For most Australians this was the first time they had raced up a climb anything like this. The experience was writ large on the faces of everyone as they came over the line – exhausted but exhiliarated.

Congratulations to Gaye Lynn from the Sutherland Cycling Club in Sydney, won both the Individual Time Trial and the Medio Fondo representing Australia in Women’s Masters 65+ category. This tops off a big year for Gaye who broke the World Record for the Individual Pursuit on the track at the NSW Masters.

Women led the way in the medal count winning 6 of the 8 medals awarded to Australians. What women’s masters cycling in Australia proves that those who race are both internationally competitive and that we are producing quality if not quantity.
Eleri

Return to Women's Cycling