When ya gotta go ...

Lizzy

When ya gotta go ...

Postby Lizzy » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:20 pm

So the other day I'm on my way home in 38 degrees, in the space of 15km I've already downed two full bottles of water just to keep going, so inevitably my eyeballs start to float.

I reached the Exceloo at the Narrows and ran at it. But as the door opened, ... just ... nope. Now I'm no princess but I wasn't even going in there. It was like a controversial and provocative art installation. Somebody had backed in there with a stick of dynamite between their cheeks or something. So I had to grit my teeth, think hard about things other than white water rafting and keep going, I made it to the busport but I wasn't happy.

Got me to thinking: how many of my other preferred ways of spending time involve extended periods away from khazis of acceptable standard? Basically all of them; on long hikes I've really been on edge having to go full moony to get it done, then on the dive boat once there was also a "pressed ham" incident up against a hatch I'd forgotten was there, which the skipper never let me live down ...

Basically this train of thought led to me to order one of these.

Anyone else tried this? I have my doubts but looks worth a crack ...
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Tornado

Re: When ya gotta go ...

Postby Tornado » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:27 pm

If you can still find somewhere private to engage your plan it could be a good alternative. Those exaloo's can be very very dodgy at times.

I'd be getting the technique down at home first :wink:

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Bibs would still make things interesting though. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:12 pm

I've tried a couple of such things. Being not very skinny I found http://www.freshette.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; worked best. The short fixed tube mount and the long tube meant a wider variety of angles and ease of positioning.

Whichever one you get (and there are a few out there) get one with a tube so the flow is away from you. Important in cycling shorts cos it's a long way from the waistband to the start of the liquid's journey... The ones without tubes mean you have to have your shorts just about off.

It isn't ideal as there's a certain amount of um.... dampness hanging about after you remove it, but they all have that problem.

Trick is finding a place you can have a slash. Wherever you are, there are people when you are in that situation!

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:26 pm

Lizzy wrote: 38 degrees, in the space of 15km I've already downed two full bottles of water just to keep going, so inevitably my eyeballs start to float.
You downed 2 full bottles in 15km?

I sympathise that you have "nowhere to go", but I think you are drinking too much.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:53 pm

Ahh, it's good being a bloke.
Just like being a dog.
Nearest tree, that'll do.
By the way, I live in the country, trees everywhere, not so many people.

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:06 am

Oh forgot one important thing... practice!

It takes practice to get the thing in the right place and at the right angle, and practice in letting loose while still clothed.... I started in the shower without clothes then used it a few times at home in the loo to work out the best method with clothes on before venturing outdoors.

I also suspect that was too much water, I think that you were drinking because your mouth got dry in the heat, not because you were thirsty as such. I find that when I'm pushing so I'm breathing with open mouth that I get very dry in the heat. Try not drinking but swishing a sip or two around in your mouth.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Tim wrote:Ahh, it's good being a bloke.
Just like being a dog.
Nearest tree, that'll do.
By the way, I live in the country, trees everywhere, not so many people.
Yes this is the state of being I hope to get that little bit closer to :lol: And thanks for the pro tips zebee, will see how I go (snork) after a bit of practice. I have done a fair bit of offshore sailing so have trained my brain to overcome stage fright when nature calls when the boat is crashing through big waves at a 45 degree angle in the dark so hopefully it's not too much of a quantum leap to use this thing in extremis.

And yeah, my water consumption was definitely OTT that particular day, it's not a regular issue for me - probably explained both by zebee's theory and also having been a bit head-down-butt-up at work, and not keeping hydration up enough through the day.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Where would you keep it on the bike? In your back pocket? I reckon it would be kind of annoying and I wouldn't carry it with me myself.

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:14 pm

I don't think it's such a bad idea! Thanks for posting Lizzy.

As for where I would keep it... Surely in jersey pocket for short rides or a pannier for longer ones should be fine? Maybe carry a ziplock bag or similar to tuck it in to?
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Oooo. It comes in pink. :P

kenji44

Postby kenji44 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Shewee works but definitely need the extra tube... & definitely practise at home first! & u still need some privacy... Have not tried while out on the bike yet but has come in handy for caving.

ovie68

Postby ovie68 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:58 am

I've got to ask, what do you do with it once it's wet? Can't say I'd fancy carrying it around once it's been used.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:43 pm

I have a rack bag most of the time (& you'd be surprised what I can cram into it) so I figure this could be worked into the emergency bailout kit easily enough. Apparently the surface of it is hydrophobic so if you give it a good shake it gets reasonably 'clean' but hmmm, yeah still a bit of an ick factor there :lol:

Will report back when it gets here (if you really want to know :oops: :P ...)

newie

Postby newie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:52 pm

Yep, I really want to know!
Finding a discreet option for having a roadside wee would be really great.
And glad the someone else is going to give it a roadtest for us.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:27 pm

ovie68 wrote:I've got to ask, what do you do with it once it's wet? Can't say I'd fancy carrying it around once it's been used.
Use some of your drinking water to wash the rest out???

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:37 pm

ovie68 wrote:I've got to ask, what do you do with it once it's wet? Can't say I'd fancy carrying it around once it's been used.
It doesn't stay "wet" as much as "the odd drop". The Freshette comes in a sealable bag, I've found that once it's back in the bag I notice neither dampness nor smell. I have never been out long enough to need it twice!

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:37 pm

A gay friend tells me that some of the more hardcore L and T folk have some interesting aids that allow them to stand at urinals. Maybe you could look at one of those interesting adult shops? Just a thought.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:34 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote: Maybe you could look at one of those interesting adult shops? Just a thought.
Oooh, any excuse! :P

Well, I've given it its first "sea trials" in the safety and comfort of my own home and so far its a piece of ... erm, well, it's a snap! It looks alarmingly narrow but nothing went where it shouldn't have.

The only cons are it is probably going to be a bit fumbly and awkward with form fitting clothing, depending on stretch factor, one would probably have to drop trou to 3/4 mast. Also took a bit of 'mind over matter' to get started (...and my BF seems to have a complicated set of feelings about it ...)

kb

Postby kb » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:48 pm

Lizzy wrote: (...and my BF seems to have a complicated set of feelings about it ...)
Doesn't like you leaving the seat up?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:27 pm

kb wrote:
Lizzy wrote: (...and my BF seems to have a complicated set of feelings about it ...)
:lol:

LG

Postby LG » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:10 pm

As an aside, Shewees are also popular with the Australian Antarctic Program, for obvious reasons...
LG = Low Gear

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:00 pm

kb wrote:
He sees other possibilities. :shock:
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Graeme H

Postby Graeme H » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:52 am

I don't know whether it's useful in this context, but Dutch professional racer Marijn de Vries wrote an illustrated blog about roadside peeing technique in bibshorts:
http://marijndevries.nl/?p=4123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think her other articles are also worth reading.

BaldPatch

Postby BaldPatch » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:40 pm

http://justadventures.org/2014/03/08/pee-like-a-pro/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;