Like to find a cycle buddy for long rides around Wyong

Got Questions? Need advice?
Join other women in discussing cycling.

Like to find a cycle buddy for long rides around Wyong

Postby Bev Cycle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi,
I am a mature female who has just moved to the central coast (near Wyong) and would like to find a cycle buddy (male or female). I am doing a charity ride (from London to Paris) later on this year and have to increase my distance quite dramatically in the coming months (from 40km to 120km per ride). But I don't know where to ride in this location plus I find the appearing-then-disappearing bike lanes quite challenging to handle by myself (especially when they disappear at all the road junctions!).

I am quite fit (but am developing fitness again) and am an ex triathlete (from sprint to half ironman) and cyclist (i.e. the Sydney - Wollongong ride) who is enjoying getting back into cycling. I would really appreciate finding 1 (or 2 or 3) like minded, cycling enthusiast(s) to enjoy sharing rides with. I am self employed and work from home a bit so can be pretty flexible when I cycle (weekdays as well as weekends) to fit in with others.

Any advice or assistance on finding someone or even knowing which clubs to approach would be greatly appreciated.

To date I have visited my local bike shop (but it is a mountain bike focused one); I have contacted the Central Coast local Bike club but got no reply (was being a mature female the problem?) ; and I have tried asking around at the local gym spin classes but not many go on the road and the good teachers only ride with guys; So I am pretty disappointed really thus far and any good advice will be really helpful :D :D
Bev Cycle

by BNA » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 pm

BNA

Re: Like to find a cycle buddy for long rides around Wyong

Postby Eleri » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:08 pm

You could just turn up to CCC Saturday ride and ask. If you've done a half Ironman you might be able to do 30kph - I'm sure you'll get back to it. But no harm starting with them and seeing what happens.

But you are also close to the Time Trial eventthat happens the first Sunday of each month. It's an individual thing, but you will find a good place to ride.
Eleri

Re: Like to find a cycle buddy for long rides around Wyong

Postby Bev Cycle » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks for that info.
As I am not up to 30kph (and that is the only ride offered) I would not go. I do not like to be dropped anywhere that I don't know the roads.
I am looking for a method where I can train with someone who also wants to develop endurance skills. If interested pls do get in touch.
Bev Cycle

Return to Women's Cycling