Bike suggestion for overweight newbie

Sandy1971

Bike suggestion for overweight newbie

Postby Sandy1971 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi everyone

I'm wanting to purchase a bike and hoping for some recommendations. I haven't ridden one for about 30 years, am very overweight (125kg). Would like to use it on fire trails, parks etc with not alot of road use. Need something that is comfortable to sit on and easy on my back, and of course one that will take my weight. I can spend around $500-$700.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Sandy

zebee

Re: Bike suggestion for overweight newbie

Postby zebee » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:39 pm

When I was 100kg I found that the important things were a decent supportive saddle and an upright riding position. Too far bent over was uncomfortable and hurt my hands. Too narrow a saddle was also uncomfortable. I did find that even using the wide, sprung, brook B67 it took a certain amount of experimentation to get it in the right position: right height for pedalling comfortably and right amount of tilt and right amount of fore and aft adjustment.

Your budget doesn't really stretch to a recumbent trike which is what I would suggest for your return to riding alas, as even a 2nd hand one is twice what you want to spend. So failing that get something with a decent range of gears (as you are going to want low ones for a while) and importantly is not too long for you, doesn't stretch you too much between bars and seat.

I found many bike shops were judgemental of size, find one into transport rather than racing. In Sydney Cheeky Monkey in Newtown are good guys. I don't think they have bikes in your price range but even a chat to them might help. They may know what is out there in your range.

One thing I will say: Dont get a heavy bike. Yes you are going to be putting stress on a bike but the main stress will be on the wheels. Well built 36 hole wheels with good sized rims should cope, and you can have those on a lighter frame. You may not get a light frame in your price range new, but look around. A heavy bike is hard work and will put you off. eg an Electra Townie which is a nice upright position and looks very strong but is a heavy lump and too much like work up hills.

Zebee

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:54 am

I would agree - a good saddle and an upright riding position is important. My advice is that the saddles that look the comfiest rarely are.

I would also suggest getting a bike with wider tyres. Tyres absorb most of the shock. From what you've suggested a second hand mountain bike is probably the way to go, given it will have low gearing to enable you to pedal more easily, a more upright position and wide tyres.

Good luck

E

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:55 am

I have nothing to offer except, bike shorts with padding as soon as your comfortable with the idea.

Good luck Sandy! Have fun!

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:45 pm

There is a good chance that, if you start enjoying riding again then this first bike will not be your last so my suggestion is that you look at the more popular brands (Giant, Avanti, Trek) and chase down a lower-end mountain bike or hybrid to start rolling on. In other words a good brand at a good price and bought from a reputable retailer rather than a department store.
Low gears and comfortable riding position are right there from the start and by the time you have completed your wish list for your second bike you will be ready to make the move anyway. And you will probably have changed physically too.
Good luck.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:53 pm

+1 to what Gorilla said, Giant will have something good in your price bracket.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:31 pm

Sandy1971 wrote:Hi everyone

I'm wanting to purchase a bike and hoping for some recommendations. I haven't ridden one for about 30 years, am very overweight (125kg). Would like to use it on fire trails, parks etc with not alot of road use. Need something that is comfortable to sit on and easy on my back, and of course one that will take my weight. I can spend around $500-$700.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards, Sandy
Hi Sandy Pm sent.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:00 pm

One thing I would add... seat height.

It is tempting to have the seat low enough to touch the ground from the saddle but you don't touch the ground often and you pedal all the time... so set your seat height so your leg is straight (not knees locked) with your heel on the pedal.

Ride like that for a bit, then move the saddle about. Forward and back, higher or lower. Give each location a bit of time and pay attention to how they feel.

I found that if the saddle was too narrow I wanted to lean forward a lot more because my seat bones were not happy so I wanted to be off them. I also found that if the saddle was too low I got some of the same discomfort.

Zebee

mick243

Postby mick243 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi sandy

I'm about the same wieght

Pick a decent shop close to you and go look at bikes that make you want to ride them.

Pretty much all of the "non racing" bikes will be fine for you, IE if it's built to race, it's built as light as the rules allow and designed to carry not much more than a muscled up string bean. Pretty much any "commuter" or "comfort" bike at the upper edge of your budget (don't forget you need riding gear, helmet etc) will do you very well, as would most hardtail MTB. Stick to 32 or more spokes in the wheels (but far more important is the spokes be correctly tight than the number of) and you won't go wrong.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:00 pm

while you might need a sturdier bike now, in 6-12 months you might not need the sturdier model and could look around for something else then.

Read the 'losers' thread here and see how much people have shrunken from riding. I won't say how much I've lost - ie how horribly fat I was in a past life but i'm 'normal' now (well, maybe not normal, but... well, not a totally fatty boom bah any more).

The more you ride, the less you'll be. goodonya! I think you should join the losers thread too - (not because you're a loser but you WILL be...). lol

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:42 pm

If you know anyone who has a bit of bicycle knowledge, Sandy, it would not do you any harm to take them shopping with you. It measn that, if nothing else, you can debrief privately later and not feel like a dill asking questions you think might sound silly to the salesperson.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:49 am

For all of us who aren't whippets in lycra...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhypalI94dk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1KU5ycgQVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ThisGirlCan is a UK campaign to help women get over the fear of being active in public. Women of all shapes and sizes not caring what others think but getting out there and sweaty.

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/201 ... t-england/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The cycling poster is great "I'm slow but I'm lapping everyone on the couch"

Weight loss is incredibly personal, and what works for some won't work for others. What I get out of cycling is the feeling of health and wellbeing. Yeah, I don't weigh as much but cycling is only part of that.

Like Grace in the video I cycle everywhere, to the shops and to work. For one thing, there's always somewhere to park the bike close to where I am going! Making it part of your day is the best way to keep cycling.