Recommend a Roubaix style bike for Wifey...

thecaptn

Recommend a Roubaix style bike for Wifey...

Postby thecaptn » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi All,
Wifey has been trying out a Specialized Ruby which she likes but Specialized as with some other manufacturers these days prefer to keep their customers in the dark as far as frame sizing. I totally get why they do this but personally consider it poor practice. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer who provides frame sizing guides for their products?
Thanks in advance,
Pete

Usernoname

Re: Recommend a Roubaix style bike for Wifey...

Postby Usernoname » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:18 am

http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/which-fr ... e-251.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I test rode a Roubuaix, but ended up getting a ride 5000 (first roadie, Roubuaix was a bit pricey for something I was just giving a go).
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:39 am

Perhaps I didn't understand what exactly you were seeking but the link below has the Ruby geometry.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... t#geometry

Just use one of the online guides to bike sizing where you enter inseam length, height, etc. and a frame size is suggested.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:17 pm

Usernoname wrote:http://www.merida.com.au/en_au/which-fr ... e-251.html
I test rode a Roubuaix, but ended up getting a ride 5000 (first roadie, Roubuaix was a bit pricey for something I was just giving a go).
Thanks for the link, this is what I was after.
biker jk wrote:Perhaps I didn't understand what exactly you were seeking but the link below has the Ruby geometry.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... t#geometry

Just use one of the online guides to bike sizing where you enter inseam length, height, etc. and a frame size is suggested.
Thanks, I was having an angry day yesterday, everything was irritating me so I fired off a few sarcastic emails to random corporations about whatever I don't like about them. Good therapy, feel much better now. You're on the money though, these two links are helpfull.
Lovely Mrs thecaptn has in the past been hard to bike fit (was fitted by the LBS, bike too small, no ones fault) and as a result ended up uncomfortable on the bike and didn't ride it. We are determined to spend as much time as it takes to get something comfortable this time, will put more effort into it ourselves and research it properly.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:25 pm

thecaptn wrote: Lovely Mrs thecaptn has in the past been hard to bike fit (was fitted by the LBS, bike too small, no ones fault) and as a result ended up uncomfortable on the bike and didn't ride it. We are determined to spend as much time as it takes to get something comfortable this time, will put more effort into it ourselves and research it properly.
Not sure of her dimensions, but a few of the girls at work here hate the female geometry bikes. Maybe her body type is better suited to a unisex bike (no one ever sells them as male specific strangely).

If she wants super duper relaxed, cannondale synapse has got one of the highest stacks of all the bikes I researched.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Going by the Merida frame guide, by her instep she's a 46cm and by her hight she's a 50-52cm. The bike she borrowed, which she liked is a 48cm so the numbers add up. She's not very flexible so would like the higher stack I'm sure, her fingers are stuby so she didn't feel confident using the 105 shifters and preferred the feel of the smaller sram shifters on my bike. That being said she didn't actually shift them and may not like how they shift.

purplepeat

Postby purplepeat » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:45 am

Might be a good idea to have a bike fit done prior to purchase, they should give you a couole of options that would be best suited and she can choose her fave from that batch. Whilst most LBS are 'good' at bike fits, a qualified bike fitter could save you money & butt-ache down thr track