Best ever bike shorts

Fjenkins

Best ever bike shorts

Postby Fjenkins » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Got my hands on some Cannondale Virago bike shorts today

So comfy I don't want to take them off. Gentle elastic-free waistband. Matt finish. Great womens specific chamois. Seriously flattering, no bulging bits and, again, just sooo comfortable!

Love them - do yourself a favour women of the cycling world. But just leave a few pairs in the shops for me to buy again next time around (I can see they're already getting hard to find in stock)

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Best ever bike shorts

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:26 pm

If they do NOT make me look like I've done a dump in my shorts then my wife would buy a gross of them.

(Me, I don't care, I never see myself. :D )
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Fjenkins

Postby Fjenkins » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:41 am

Yep my husband's bike shorts look exactly like that

Macca_CX

Postby Macca_CX » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:41 pm

Good to know. It's always hard to determine whether shorts are comfortable.

Where did you purchase them? Evans Cycles states they don't sell them anymore.

Fjenkins

Postby Fjenkins » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:41 pm

Gumtree - someone had a spare pair with tags still on. She'd originally bought 3 pairs for a tour, only used 2.
Yeah there are a few websites still selling them, but I notice they're not available in many places. Typical!

Halfamillion

Postby Halfamillion » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:30 pm

The Best Ever under Bike shorts are POC Hip VPD 2.0 Padded Shorts period! Reason why is they save your ass when you fall off for what ever reason. You will suddenly hit the ground one day whether avoiding a snake , dog, slippery concrete, chain break under high power, car cut you off, hit a pot hole and go into steering wobble. Yes, they are heavy and make you a size larger and stretch your Knicks a bit but if you are riding outside the Tour de France or similar comps you need protection e.g. very good Helmet and hips armour at least!
Peugeot PBN10, Cell Victor 2, Graycross Special 27", Merida Mission 2000, Trek 4900, Cell Stinger.

dixieemard

Postby dixieemard » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:09 am

The best cycling shorts should be the number one item in any rider's wardrobe. A pair of well-cushioned cycling shorts can ensure you can spend your time riding, so I opted for the Rapha Core Cargo bib shorts. It's very comfortable when I ride my bike

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:20 pm

I've been buying cycling shorts from Ground Effect (NZ) for years: they're padded and have a stretchable lower seam, and I find them quite comfortable. A bit pricy, but I'm paying it anyway because I like them.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:28 am

dixieemard wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:09 am
The best cycling shorts should be the number one item in any rider's wardrobe. A pair of well-cushioned cycling shorts can ensure you can spend your time riding, so I opted for the Rapha Core Cargo bib shorts. It's very comfortable when I ride my bike
Good to hear, I'm thinking of actually spending some money on these one day!

It's a bit of a struggle to find decent shorts - plenty of top level bibs but I don't exactly want to be wearing these all through summer in Queensland. I'm a fan of the Castelli Competizione (but hard to find, especially cheap) and have had issues with a lot of the others.

Probably because my criteria of 'durable, comfortable and <$100' is impossible, to be honest. I'm still not paying $300 for an item of clothing though!

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:43 am

Mr Purple wrote: It's a bit of a struggle to find decent shorts - plenty of top level bibs but I don't exactly want to be wearing these all through summer in Queensland. I'm a fan of the Castelli Competizione (but hard to find, especially cheap) and have had issues with a lot of the others.

Probably because my criteria of 'durable, comfortable and <$100' is impossible, to be honest. I'm still not paying $300 for an item of clothing though!

A mate of mine swears by Endura Xtract Gel shorts. Either bibs or regular shorts. I prefer plain shorts.
They're on my shopping list for this summer.
Last I looked Wiggle had them for well under $100.
Been considering Wiggle's house brand DHB Aeron shorts for some time now but never taken the leap. Seen them on special at times from either Wiggle or Chain Reaction for around $90.00.
Be ####ed if I'm paying anything more than about $120 for lycra shorts. I just can't accept that they're that much better and at 58kg currently, rear end pressure isn't much of an issue.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:05 am

The Rapha Core are $130 with 10% off for a new member, so I might give those a go.

I'm with you - I'm 61kg and climb a lot, mainly standing. Chamois and saddle choices are largely irrelevant because they don't get used much. The main issues I've had is with fit - the Ale shorts are cheap and excellent for example but the leg length is far too long. I'm still recovering from grazes on the back of my knees when I was caught in the rain last week.

Otherwise my main priority is durability. I find the cheaper models tend to be fine initially, but are pretty much transparent after six months. I'll happily pay twice the amount if it lasts twice as long. Those Enduras look ok but seem to have a bit more padding then I need. Price is good.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:23 pm

I've extended the lifespan of my shorts by not hanging them to dry outdoors. UV kills the elastaine threading in lycra. Especially drying inside out.
I just lay then on a rack in the laundry near an open window. They dry overnight.
The "experts" tell me that UV kills bacteria on the chamois pad, helping prevent saddle sores.
Over the years I've found that saddle sores coincide with fatigue and high stress levels far more so than how I wash and dry my shorts.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:56 am

I have found these to check the boxes - comfortable, wear well and good price. The black bibs

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:20 pm

I'm a fan of RedWhite bibs. https://www.redwhite.cc/blogs/product-information

They're meant for riding long distances. Like, loooong distances. 600km+ in a sitting.

They say "a well fitting bib short should disappear on you when you ride." I can confirm this is true.

I have struggled the last few years to find something reliable that doesn't result in blood blisters, thanks to my ongoing requirement for anti-coagulation medication courtesy of a near-fatal pulmonary embolism in 2017. These have become my answer. I am now back to doing regular metric centuries, and I completed over 180km on the bike last weekend - mostly seated aerobic base training. Back on the bike this morning for my commute - no issues except I'm a little fatigued.

I have 5 of these now, one pair for every day I ride.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:21 pm

Tim wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:23 pm
I've extended the lifespan of my shorts by not hanging them to dry outdoors. UV kills the elastaine threading in lycra. Especially drying inside out.
I just lay then on a rack in the laundry near an open window. They dry overnight.
The "experts" tell me that UV kills bacteria on the chamois pad, helping prevent saddle sores.
Over the years I've found that saddle sores coincide with fatigue and high stress levels far more so than how I wash and dry my shorts.

Yup. This.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:57 pm

I note this topic is for women's cycling - so most of the kit we all use is not appropriate. :wink:

But I definitely agree, never hang cycling kit outside, always inside. I always wash mine in a garment bag in the washing machine (front loader Asko) and I have the machine on a gentle cycle for 1 hour and set it to spin and the lowest speed possible.

I also use wool mix and a little bit of dettol. I was one of the pro cyclists who mentioned this and then I've stuck with it since.

Rapha and Le Col are usually pretty good but Le Col I find are not that great for their stitching which seems to come undone easily. Rapha is definitely longer lasting. Assos also long lasting and well made but way expensive!

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:04 pm

Same deal here, always use the garment bag.

Have just ordered some Pedal Mafia knicks because they were cheap (my main priority). Will see how they go.

jeniferbet

Postby jeniferbet » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:08 pm

I never ride in shorts - I have pale legs and I'm ashamed of them - I'll start maybe in the summer

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:21 pm

jeniferbet wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:08 pm
I never ride in shorts - I have pale legs and I'm ashamed of them - I'll start maybe in the summer
You have legs - who cares what colour they are

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:38 pm

jeniferbet wrote:
Everyone started that way at some time or another. Don't worry about it too much.

Do a swap, you can have my left leg with screws holding the femur together?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:03 am

jeniferbet wrote:

Pfffffft, who cares about that! :roll: Get on the bike and start riding and you're way ahead of anyone that isn't. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km