Saddle Sores? Don't Wax

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Saddle Sores? Don't Wax

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:25 pm

The Guardian Newspaper have published a very good article which covers how Great Britain's women's cycling team has dealt with and 'overcome' saddle sores and saddle discomfort

The article focus's on women's cycling and comfort and is a worthwhile read as there is some useful information on their solutions which include avoiding waxing;
The Guardian wrote:The women were strongly advised to stop shaving, waxing and depilating. They were also issued with Doublebase gel, a cheap over-the-counter moisturiser containing liquid paraffin, to treat any tender spots and to apply ahead of rides instead of chamois cream. In addition they were given Dermol 500, an antibacterial shower gel that can be used as a soap substitute.
Original Article: How scientific rigour helped Team GB’s saddle sore cyclists on their medal trail
Cycling is in my BNA

Parker

Re: Saddle Sores? Don't Wax

Postby Parker » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:02 pm

Each to their own, personally I wax it ALL off and I don't have any issues with discomfort or saddle sores. I've ride TT, MTB and road. I rode from Ballarat to Adelaide fully waxed and I had no saddle sores or discomfort. However I am very hairy and trimming it makes it itchy and you end up scratching, I wax it all off because I find it uncomfortable, its not a bush, it's a forrest and it needed deforestation.

For long multiple day rides I use a butt cream, wash the area after riding with a non-soap product and then use nappy rash cream afterwards and go without undies until the next day.

Hair down their has a cleaning system that we don't really need to mess with unless we've had a long sweaty ride. My doctor recently talked me out of using soap, especially if all I did was go to work because my skin dries out a lot. I now wash with an almond oil substitute and I use lavender and mandarine oil all over because my skin doesn't like to absorb other moisturisers.