Why ebikes are good / bad

softy

Re: Why ebikes are good / bad

Postby softy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:21 pm

It seems you guys are looking for negatives.

I have a grace easy with a 9 speed cassette, absolutely easy bike to ride. Pedelec, hydraulic disc bracks, well made. You just set the assist get on and ride it like any normal bike.

I have done over 2000km and it rides beautiful.

I use it for commuting and does a fantastic job of this, although around 22kg, it handles and feels just like a normal bike. When you get those head winds, nasty bad weather days it takes the edge off the conditions. You get as much exersice as you wish, due to the variable assist. Or just pedal harder, the assist cuts out and your riding normal.

Fantastic machine, only downside was the price, 4k. But many ride normal bikes of this price as commuters.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:40 pm

geebee wrote:"typically weight around 20 kg"
Only using lead! my 36v 10amp pack weighs around 2.5 kg and would easily do 30 km without pedaling.
Most illegal bikes I have seen are Xmart BSO with barely adequate brakes for pedal only, most petrol conversions I have seen locally sacrifice one of the brakes usually the front one which is insane.
30km at full power is about 8Ah - So I am referring to the commute ( 60km or 30km round trip ) - Also, keeping batteries to around 60% use extends life - so 8 Ah x 2 trips / 0.6 ( factor ) = around 27 Ah. - Most complete packs around that size are about 12 to 15kg based on given figures -

Still not a big amount of Kg compared to the extra fuel stored beneath the belt even when you factor in the weight of the motor and electronics on top of that ! :)

Regards
David

geebee

Postby geebee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:24 pm

My trike uses a bit less than 7 wh per km with no rider assist in moderately hilly terrain, so 30 km would be less than 6 ah used, any rider input would reduce that significantly, lipo's are much more tolerant of deeper discharge 60% would be ideal, real world 80% isnt doing much harm, lead after 50% you are damaging them.

My battery pack is Hobby King LiPo's, even if you increase the commute to 60 km another ~1.25 kg of batteries is all that would be required.
Commercial ebike packs are heavier but are getting lighter every year, I noticed some this year approaching hobby LiPo weights, even my 4 year old Tonaro pack is only 5kg (from memory) and 36v at 10a.

A proviso on the trike I ride, it is a full blown racing recumbent trike with slicks and weigh ~19.5 kg with battery pack, so not your everyday bike :) oh and it has a Bafang crank drive that I keep in the sweet rpm range for the motor with gear changes, learning the correct rpm to run dropped the used wh per km by more than 1.5 wh per km.

Having said that when I could pedal I was getting 3 to 5 wh per km in a hilly area on an MTB using the electric hub as an assist not a moped.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:06 am

Aushiker wrote:I was poking around Reid Bicycles website today and took a peak at the Corratec 29er Trekking Diamond. The price does not seem to bad given it is a Bosch mid drive engine.

I couldn't find the battery specification but and would like to know which Bosch motor it actually is and if the limit can be easily removed. Anyone have any information?

Thanks
Andrew
I can't remember if it was this or the Mukluk first, but you seem to be injecting subconscious purchase directives via your posts, now I'm paranoid as I've wanted a Logo Lightning P38 clone for a long time ;)

Video has 1080p 30fps HD option, rear gets good audio of pedalling and motor, still my huffing and puffing too, and it shows the elevation change better than front bar or helmet cam views do.

I've moved the child trailer attachment from the cargo bike to the 29er Trekking.
Good as it smooths out the ride between gusts and bumps and parachute air brake nature of towing one with 2 kids in it.
I took it for a test ride to some of the local climbs that I've used as test and practice with my Mukluk recently, and used to test gearing for other bikes previously.
I was running the balloon tyres at about their ~35psi low limit and they're very comfy.
Climbing in Eco when I could, stepping up the assist through to Turbo (max) on the steepest ones).
Bad - the price has gone up on this model to $3200 since I got mine, but if you know a Reid customer you can use their card/member number for 10% off.

A few pics here of some changes since new:
https://1motorcyclist.files.wordpress.c ... g?w=700&h=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:38 pm

I had a training course in the city so caught the train all week. Station is only 5km from home so I rode my bike rather than drive. The e-boost meant I could pedal a bit more lightly and arrive without being hot and sweaty, seeing as I was wearing jeans and jumpers etc. Although I found it hard trying to keep myself from pedalling at my normal rate. Going slowly and lightly seems wrong :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:49 pm

I provided a windbreak for a guy on a single speed to draft behind me this morning, the commute was windy and I overtook him so he tucked in behind me for a few kms of exposed sections on the bike path, before he overtook me once we reached a more sheltered section. Having someone on my tail definitely makes me push the legs harder :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:12 am

Good for a laugh :)

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:38 pm

I went past an older overweight lady riding a Leitner last week. I passed a comment 'nice bike' and she cheerily replied that she rode to St Vincent's Hospital which was 20km. I didn't confirm whether that was round trip or one way, however the fact remains that she was riding rather than any other transport mode, and was clearly enjoying it.

Without casting aspersions (well too far anyway) I seriously doubt that she would do the trip without the motor so this was clearly a good choice for her.

I have been overtaken by probably illegal e-bikes, before, but they weren't outrageous. I could have dropped onto their wheel if I wanted to, but then I'd have to live with the shame of drafting an e-bike.

Cheers,

Cameron

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:22 pm

I love my e-bike because it removed my excuses for not riding, it rekindled my love of riding and commuting, and now I've bought myself a road bike which I never would have thought myself capable of managing. As I've told others, e-bikes are like a gateway drug to other bikes :)

Now the e-bike is used for popping down to the shops and tootling along with the kids, with the motor switched off. 20kg of bike isn't a problem when you're only doing 12kph :)

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:42 pm

I've just gotten back into riding (after 22 years!) as our office is going to relocate to the CBD, so I will no longer be able to drive to work. If it wasn't for the ebike I bought I would have to suffer taking public transport as there's no way I could (or want to) do the 20km each way commute on any other bike. I've had a number of injuries and illnesses over the last year or so, plus I'm not young any more, so the ebike is a great enabler for me.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:59 am

ChrisR24 wrote:I've just gotten back into riding (after 22 years!) as our office is going to relocate to the CBD, so I will no longer be able to drive to work. If it wasn't for the ebike I bought I would have to suffer taking public transport as there's no way I could (or want to) do the 20km each way commute on any other bike. I've had a number of injuries and illnesses over the last year or so, plus I'm not young any more, so the ebike is a great enabler for me.
That's awesome. Good on you for giving it a go.

Just be aware that at those mileages you'll be on the very upper end of what would be considered normal usage. If you do do 5 * 40k a week you'll be close to 10k for the year - assuming you don't do any other riding. Perhaps to put it in perspective that would be a bit like a car doing over 50k a year. you need to expect that it will require a good bit of maintenance - and might need a little downtime so do have a backup.

It might be wise if you don't already know how to do this to be well versed at the very least with chain and tyre maintenance.

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Good points. I do intend to learn and do more about the maintenance side, plus I'm planning on regular servicing at the dealer store too. I paid for a decent ebike (a touring/trekking style) that I'm definitely wanting to keep it going for a long time.

Fortunately, I also have the option to work from home, so I can easily give myself rest day(s) if need to (or to avoid heatwaves, storms, etc). Although I don't foresee much weekend riding at this time (my wife doesn't ride), but if it does happen, again, I can do the work from home if I need to have the rest. It's a matter of planning and pacing.

I'm still working up to doing the commute but I've already managed to do a 29km ride (yeah, max pedal assist mode) and while I was tired, it's the saddle soreness that I need to get used to again. :) When I think I can do about 2 "long" rides in a day, I'll do my first commute ride to my current work location and see how things develop from there. I have enough battery capacity to get to and from work on max pedal assist mode without charging if I need.

And this is part of why I think the ebikes are really good - it's giving such great assistance that I can take it slow and steady on my body to improve, yet still be able to get to where I need in a reasonable timeframe. Also it is fun to ride along the bikeway and pass all the cars crawling along the freeway nearby. :)

Justinjd79

Postby Justinjd79 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi all,

Looking to purchase my first ebike for my daily commute. Just from Naremburn to CBD. Not far on my regular bike, but some days/weeks I just purely can't be assed and nothing is going to change that.

I have been looking at the BH bikes. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts on these? They seem pretty great, and are the only type that I personally don't find ugly as hell.

https://sydney-electric-bikes.myshopify ... 0362102533

Also wondering if it would fit into my Thule Proride roof rack? Maybe without the battery...

Any thoughts, comments, criticisms would be great!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Justinjd79 wrote:Hi all,

Looking to purchase my first ebike for my daily commute. Just from Naremburn to CBD. Not far on my regular bike, but some days/weeks I just purely can't be assed and nothing is going to change that.

I have been looking at the BH bikes. Anyone have any experiences or thoughts on these? They seem pretty great, and are the only type that I personally don't find ugly as hell.

Also wondering if it would fit into my Thule Proride roof rack? Maybe without the battery...

Giant are now selling ebikes with the yamaha mid drive. They might be worth a try too.

Justinjd79

Postby Justinjd79 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:15 pm

Comedian wrote:

Giant are now selling ebikes with the yamaha mid drive. They might be worth a try too.
I did look at the Giants but it seems the E+Road range isn't available in Australia?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Justinjd79 wrote:
Comedian wrote:

I did look at the Giants but it seems the E+Road range isn't available in Australia?
Well they are on the local giant Aus website, and my local giant dealer has them.

Justinjd79

Postby Justinjd79 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:16 pm

I dig the flat bar for commuting. The BH pretty much ticks all my boxes

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:05 am

Positive: ebikes can keep you warm on cold lonely nights.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fire ... -bike.html

uart

Postby uart » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:04 pm

eldavo wrote:Positive: ebikes can keep you warm on cold lonely nights.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/fire ... -bike.html

Ouch!

And that's why you can't get Li-ion battery packs of any significant Watt-hr capacity air freighted. Unfortunately this (shipping) is something of an obstacle to lower cost imports, keeping ebike prices fairly high.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:32 pm

So how do the batteries /bikes get to Oz in the first place considering they are manufactured overseas?

uart

Postby uart » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:16 am

Ross wrote:So how do the batteries /bikes get to Oz in the first place considering they are manufactured overseas?
Hi Ross, I don't have first hand experience with this, but I think that they have to be shipped in fairly specialized fire/explosion proof containers. Ok for someone who is importing a large number of them, but cost prohibitive for shipping one or two.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:20 am

Administration is the core... the level of compliance and paperwork to import batteries adds to the cost and admin. When the process is repeated, it is easier to repeat. When an importer doesn't want to do it themself, they can get an agent.
Cycling is in my BNA

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:15 pm

Another pro e-bike article:

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/why-au ... kes-gytvqv

My motor and battery (but not the cabling) are currently completely off my converted MTB as I'm actually using it with knobby tyres to do some trail riding with my son. I'll put the motor and smooth tyres back on when we go to Rottnest annually and I have to haul 25kg of bike trailer plus all our bags up and down those hills!

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:17 pm

I just watched an almost 2 hour you tube video of 3 guys riding E-Bikes in NYC. They had a 20mph top speed which pretty matched the speed limit. They were taking the lane when they had no bike lane and were easily keeping with the traffic flow.

Why can't we have faster E-bikes :-( I think a 35km/h limit would almost get me to bite the bullet and buy one. In a front loading cargo version.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:32 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I just watched an almost 2 hour you tube video of 3 guys riding E-Bikes in NYC. They had a 20mph top speed which pretty matched the speed limit. They were taking the lane when they had no bike lane and were easily keeping with the traffic flow.

Why can't we have faster E-bikes :-( I think a 35km/h limit would almost get me to bite the bullet and buy one. In a front loading cargo version.
The problem is our standard is based off the euro standard. Over there... 20kph is considered FAST.