Chainless Bike is One Sweet Green Ride

Aushiker

Chainless Bike is One Sweet Green Ride

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 21, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi

This turned up at http://inhabitat.com/. Not much in the way of details, pretty much pictures only but I reckon it looks nice even if it is an e-bike of some type :)

Regards
Andrew

KenGS

Re: Chainless Bike is One Sweet Green Ride

Postby KenGS » Fri May 21, 2010 11:43 pm

If I'm not mistaken its yet another design concept and not a real working prototype let alone a production model.
Give me Joe's home build any day over a fancy drawing.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

MiG

Postby MiG » Mon May 24, 2010 7:50 pm

Bloody industrial designers. They annoy me when given free reign. They're much less annoying once they're burdened with the harsh realities of life like practicality and physics.

It looks great because there is minimal battery capacity. I'm no expert on batteries but that bulge in the frame looks like 70 Wh of Li-ion batteries at best, which is pretty hopeless for a machine that's apparently been designed for people objecting to cycling based on distance concerns. Agree?
Designed for urban commutes, which on average are shorter than 6 km, the City Cycle is intended for people who would otherwise stick to cars. Ask most people why they don’t ride their bikes to work and the answer is distance.

Little Phil

Postby Little Phil » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:11 am

Gee Wiz.

Even with the new Sulpher Ion batteries you would be lucky to get 300Wh of battery juice in there. Wow 15km range.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:35 am

Little Phil wrote:Wow 15km range.

Only if you don't pedal.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

aldifan

Postby aldifan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:19 pm

I can not see a lot of off the shelf components on that thing and rear disc brakes are only useful on mountain bikes or tandems. Front disks are only an advantage in sloppy weather and the thing has no mud guards. Adding gears would not have been too much to ask either.

Very pretty but.

Ideal for sitting in the window of a bike store as a show pony. Caching$$$