What is the point of the motor assistance?

Joeblake

Re: What is the point of the motor assistance?

Postby Joeblake » Sat May 14, 2011 10:46 pm

treborfifty8 wrote:
Not only don't climb hills they retard your effort to ride faster than about 25 kph as you end up pushing against the motor
ive had this ebike 3 days and im returning it as a it is next to useless.
Back to my road bike at least i can go faster than 25 kph on it.
Also something noone has mentioned they warn you not to ride Ebikes in the rain thats great if you live in Melboune
and get caught in a sudden downpour.
I've never had to push against my motor when I go faster than it will propel me. It's just the same as freewheeling on a normal bike if you are going down hill faster than you can pedal. When I coast down Welshpool Road hill of my "big" trike I hit over 75 kph, then on the flat I can keep cranking (no motor) for about a kilometre at over 40 kph, and only have to slow down to turn a sharp corner.

As for rain ... I've had one e-bike for about 5 years and absolutely no problem with the rain at all.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat May 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Joeblake wrote: As for rain ... I've had one e-bike for about 5 years and absolutely no problem with the rain at all.

Joe
... but only because it hasn't rained in Perth for 5 years ...

;)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sat May 14, 2011 11:19 pm

Owww, don't spoil a good story like that.

:mrgreen:

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat May 14, 2011 11:46 pm

treborfifty8 wrote:I just bought this bike as an experiment and discovered how lame they are...
There are quality eBikes and crappy eBikes, as there's BMW and there's Trabant.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun May 15, 2011 12:57 am

sogood wrote:There are quality eBikes and crappy eBikes, as there's BMW and there's Trabant.
Yes, it really is time that BMW got their act together! :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cachexian

Postby cachexian » Sun May 15, 2011 7:52 am

Comedian wrote:
cachexian wrote:
Comedian wrote: From an environmental perspective I reckon the petrol bike wouldn't be much worse than the electric bike. It doesn't have a huge array of batteries made of rare earth minerals... and isn't charged from a coal fired powerstations.
No way. I can't believe that the environmental impact would be similar.

From this website: http://hubpages.com/hub/MPG-Guide-The-F ... g-Scooters
The worst performing 50cc scooter was a Suzuki SJ50QT 50 cc - 30 km/l - 71 mpg ie 3.3L/100k so let's round that up to 4L/100K for real world consumption. Now that's the fuel usage for a well constructed engine that complies with emissions controls etc.

A petrol engine emits 2.3kg per litre of fuel consumed so over 50klm that engine would release 4.6kg of C02.
Now an engine of half the capacity half a 50% lower fuel consumption (which it won't *) a 30cc petrol bike motor would release 2.3kg C02. (Rotary Bike.com sells a 30cc engine kit)

That is 10 times the CO2 that is released from my ebike on my 50klm commute.

Sure my ebike batteries contain lithium and have a life span of 1-2 years but the petrol motor contains steel and aluminium. All of these metals can be recycled at the end of life.

* I think that it's fair to assume that it is quite possible that the consumption of a petrol powered bike kit, which is not subjected to emissions standards and lots of expensive big motor company R&D, and more importantly has no gearbox/transmission could consume more fuel per klm than a well built scooter despite the lower weight and lower displacement of the bike motor.
Can you tell me how many KW is required for a full charge of your battery from flat?
Sure. I have a cycle analyst so I monitor power stats closely.

Generally, when I commute with my work gear I consume around 4.6Wh per Km over the 50km commute. So that .225 KwH. I agree with you on the approx 1kg Co2 per KwH so it's .225kg CO2 for the 50km (actually I rounded down to 0.2 above).

As for a full battery depletion: I rode 87km to fully deplete the battery. The cycle analyst said I'd used about 4.3Wh/km on that ride so that's .375KwH to recharge it. Having said that, I find that my battery felt pretty weak in that last 10% so I don't tend to like to discharge it that far any more.

Cachexian
Scott Sub 40 with 200W, 36v Ezee geared front hub motor
and...
Trek Madonne 3.1 driven by left leg and right leg

cachexian

Postby cachexian » Sun May 15, 2011 8:20 am

treborfifty8 wrote:A 200 watt hub motor with six average gears doesn't get up hills where i live i have to get off and walk it up
If the government was serious about e bikes they would allow bigger motors and could then tax you with a registration fee
I just bought this bike as an experiment and discovered how lame they are.
Not only don't climb hills they retard your effort to ride faster than about 25 kph as you end up pushing against the motor
ive had this ebike 3 days and im returning it as a it is next to useless.
Back to my road bike at least i can go faster than 25 kph on it.
Also something noone has mentioned they warn you not to ride Ebikes in the rain thats great if you live in Melboune
and get caught in a sudden downpour.
Hi Treborfifty8

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you care to advise other readers of this forum the brand of bike you tried so that they may benefit from your experience? I reckon that there must be something wrong with your bike. On mine, I can go up the steepest hills (with assistance) in the middle front chainring and third lowest rear chainring (2,3 on the rapidfire shifters). Without assistance I'd be in the lowest gear on these hills.

Let's troubleshoot your problems:

It sounds as if you are a strong cyclist and found that the gear range on the six speed (?Nexus?) bike was insufficient for you to climb a hill. That sounds similar to my experience when I hired two Ezeebikes. As an experiment my brother and I tried to ride them up a really steep hill (Sydney Rd, Manly) without assist. It was really hard: a combination of heavy weight, high rolling resistance tyres and insufficiently low gear. With the motor assistance, it was no problem.

Is it a pedalec bike? They might not have told you but the power assistance is determined by how fast you rotate the pedals. So if you try climbing the hill in too high a gear you won't get full power assist. With these bikes it's best to hit hills at speed in a low gear so that you can spin the pedals really fast all the way up. Starting from still up a hill on a pedalec is a pain because you don't get full assist from the start.

Being a strong cyclist, you can out pedal the bike over 25kph. If it's a good bike it should have a no-resistance freewheel in the motor so above 25kph you just cut the throttle and pedal along to your heart's content. At this point you have to fight against the additional weight and rolling resistance of the bike so it's probably harder than your road bike for that reason. Perhaps your motor doesn't have a good free wheel. Try lifting the wheel off the ground a spinning it. Does it spin without resistance. If the motor is designed for regen. it will offer resistance (yuk).

If you are able to return your bike, I would suggest that you go to EVS in Knoxfield and ask to try Scott's converted Jamis Coda Sport. He's got a 200W motor designed for a 20" wheel laced into his 700c wheel. This means that it has a higher top end speed at about 35kph (and less assistance on hills). The Jamis Coda Sport is a lightish flat bar roadie with 27 speeds so even at 22kg (bike + ebike kit) you would be able to ride it up any hill without motor assistance. I would think that this combination would probably be the best for a strong cyclist like yourself.

Here's their website: www.evehicle.com.au

Watch this video for a review of the performance of a converted road bike going up the 1in20 (5%) hill. I think that it's a Kona from memory.

http://youtu.be/qNjFvL4uzO4

Hope that helps.
Cachexian.
Scott Sub 40 with 200W, 36v Ezee geared front hub motor
and...
Trek Madonne 3.1 driven by left leg and right leg

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun May 15, 2011 8:27 am

cachexian wrote: Sure. I have a cycle analyst so I monitor power stats closely.

Generally, when I commute with my work gear I consume around 4.6Wh per Km over the 50km commute. So that .225 KwH. I agree with you on the approx 1kg Co2 per KwH so it's .225kg CO2 for the 50km (actually I rounded down to 0.2 above).

As for a full battery depletion: I rode 87km to fully deplete the battery. The cycle analyst said I'd used about 4.3Wh/km on that ride so that's .375KwH to recharge it. Having said that, I find that my battery felt pretty weak in that last 10% so I don't tend to like to discharge it that far any more.

Cachexian
That's good stuff mate! I have two questions though.

1. You must pedal heaps or have big batteries! I've not heard of anyone that actually gets more than 35k out of a e-bike battery. Well done.
2. You'll need to actually measure the amount of power used by the charger, not just the amount that actually gets into the batteries for that to be more accurate.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sun May 15, 2011 10:22 am

Comedian wrote: 2. You'll need to actually measure the amount of power used by the charger, not just the amount that actually gets into the batteries for that to be more accurate.

I use one of those "in-the-wall" power meters. I bought a couple from Jaycar, for under $20 each.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6115

It keeps a cumulative total of power consumed, so if you have one just for your bike, you determine precisely how much power goes out the power point.

Joe
Bertrand Russell

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sun May 15, 2011 10:27 am

cachexian wrote: If the motor is designed for regen. it will offer resistance (yuk).

Cachexian.
Can the regen function be disabled? On some systems the regen only comes into force when the brakes are applied.

Joe
Bertrand Russell

10speed

Postby 10speed » Sun May 15, 2011 10:41 am

trailgumby wrote:How many times have you blown over the limit and been done for DUI, mate? How many years 'til you can get your licence back? :roll:
There are some pretty narrows views here but this one is just plain ignorant. My 76 year old Aunty rides an electric bike and loves it. She still pedals sometimes so she is out doing it and keeping fit. I've got a perfect twenty year driving record and i want an electric bike to have fun on and to maybe not take the car out all the time. Its about fun.

cachexian

Postby cachexian » Sun May 15, 2011 4:26 pm

Hi Comedian,

I do pedal hard when I ride the ebike. I use the ebike to decrease my commute time so that it's a viable alternative to a car. Car 45min, ebike 55min, normal bike 75min (and exhausted). Although I've ridden about 1600ks (1000 ebike, 600 normal bike) since I last tried the commute on normal bike. I should try it out again some day.

I have a 36 volt 10aH battery. So it's not that large actually. I think that it's LiPo. EVS told me that 10aH wouldn't be enough for my commute to and from Manly over some steep hills. I waited and waited for a 14aH battery but they had supply issues last year. In the end, in frustration I bought the 10aH battery and two chargers. I usually don't charge at work and it's no problem getting home but occasionally, if I'm feeling lazy, I do ask my boss to charge it at work. I can feel the power drop as the volts reduce. The voltage drops as the battery is discharged and p(watts)=i(amps) x v(volts). My controller will output a peak of 14w so as the voltage drops the peak power drops by a factor of 14 and it's noticeable in both top end speed and hill climbing assistance.

I've read about another ebike user who has a more powerful 500W motor and monitors it with a cycle analyst and gets 15wH/km. That's about three times less efficient than I am. I suspect with a 500W cyclone (chain driven) motor he doesn't pedal very much.

Hi Joe,
I was going to ask Comedian how I measure how much electricity gets out of the powerpoint but thanks to you for jumping in with the info. I don't have one of those meters but will get one next time I go to Jaycar.

On another note, I did not calculate in my consideration of emissions on the ebike the additional CO2 that I release through exertion. I'm sure that this can be calculated somehow...? but really that's just semantics isn't it?

Cachexian.

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sun May 15, 2011 5:03 pm

cachexian wrote: On another note, I did not calculate in my consideration of emissions on the ebike the additional CO2 that I release through exertion. I'm sure that this can be calculated somehow...? but really that's just semantics isn't it?

Cachexian.
Well, yes, that's a furphy. The CO2 you exhale just recycles at some stage back into your food.

So breathe as much as you like. As long you breathe in roughly the same amount you breathe out, you'll be fine. :wink:

Joe
Bertrand Russell

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun May 15, 2011 6:47 pm

Joeblake wrote:
cachexian wrote: On another note, I did not calculate in my consideration of emissions on the ebike the additional CO2 that I release through exertion. I'm sure that this can be calculated somehow...? but really that's just semantics isn't it?

Cachexian.
Well, yes, that's a furphy. The CO2 you exhale just recycles at some stage back into your food.

So breathe as much as you like. As long you breathe in roughly the same amount you breathe out, you'll be fine. :wink:

Joe
Just cut back on the methane expulsion. Fart in moderation. :)

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Sun May 15, 2011 6:53 pm

Joe
Bertrand Russell

LHT

Postby LHT » Sun May 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Board index ‹ Serious Biking ‹ Electric Bicycles

^ funny as all fubar! :D :mrgreen:
voluntarilly de-registered; ths forum isn't so much funny as it is a joke. Bling sitting in your shed and bragging about it here does not make you a touring cyclist, or capable of giving worthwhile or sound advice to newcomers, this place is proof of that

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 15, 2011 10:48 pm

10speed wrote:
trailgumby wrote:How many times have you blown over the limit and been done for DUI, mate? How many years 'til you can get your licence back? :roll:
There are some pretty narrows views here but this one is just plain ignorant. My 76 year old Aunty rides an electric bike and loves it. She still pedals sometimes so she is out doing it and keeping fit. I've got a perfect twenty year driving record and i want an electric bike to have fun on and to maybe not take the car out all the time. Its about fun.
And you my friend seem to have a comprehension problem today.

That comment was specifically directed to stolennomenclature following his comment about pedalling being over-rated. He just wants an electric motorbike without the hassle of having to get licenced or registered. Why? I suspect because he can't qualify for a licence. He is certainly showing all the signs, prime amongst which is 1) an unwilingness to accept the established rules for e-bike use 2) an unwillingess to listen to multiple reasonable alternative views. It is not remotely representative of my views on e-bikes in general.

Now your aunty is exactly the kind of person who should be encouraged to take up an e-bike, because for her it helps get her started and that's brilliant.

I suspect I won't ever hear her whining about how 200/250W isn't enough for her. In fact I bet she'd tell Stolen to HTFU ... as she whips his butt climbing the tallest hill in the neighbourhood. :D

10speed

Postby 10speed » Sun May 15, 2011 11:59 pm

Joeblake wrote:
[quote wrote:bikes should be made for all situations
I don't think so. There's an expression "Horses for courses". I can't imagine riding a carbon fibre light road racer over a BMX track.

It would be neither long-lasting nor efficient.

Joe
Gees Joe, Different bikes for different situations - not the same bike!!

Hangdog98

Postby Hangdog98 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:29 pm

The cycleway Stasi are desperately concerned about being run down by a bogan riding a huffy at 65 kph with a 1000W motor he bought on eBay, whilst our hero struggles by on his $3000 randonneur speciale. On the same page we hear from Lance Livestong who boasts being able to ride downhill on his Colnagrello Carbon XS-1 at 75kph and output 400W on a 4% climb up L'halpe d'huez. What's the difference other than those able to ride under their own steam claiming ownership of the carriageway? You sound like Alan Jones whipping up some "we own the road" anti cycling hatred on 2GB.

When you ride in Amsterdam, as I have, where everybody cites the perfect riding experience, you'll share the bike paths with little 50cc one-person-cars zooming by at 60kph, people, prams, cargo bikes, racers, hybrids and every contraption known to man. All with civility and tolerance for the right of man to get about without paying too much fuel excise.

When a 130kg obese woman decides to get fit, (let's call her Betty) and enjoy the cycle paths in her town she should be encouraged to buy a sturdy bike with an electric motor. She'll pedal when she can, take a rest when she needs to and find great freedom from he new bike. She'll lose weight and get healthier just by being out there. It makes no sense saying that an average rider outputs 180W at 65% maxHR for his 72kg weight and 7kg Super Record Pegoretti and can travel X at Y with his VO2 max of 61, and that this should factor into fat betty's motor and pedalling restrictions.

500W with throttle control and no speed limit is a more sensible set of laws to achieve the desired outcomes of:
1. getting bums on bikes
2. riders on cyclepaths
3. cars off the roads
4. fat off the hips
5. people free from lifestyle disease and
6. a free and easy society where ALL Australians can get about with the wind in their hair and amongst their fellow man without being surrounded by a tonne of tin.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:53 am

If Betty wants to get fit them the current 200w or a governed EU 250W would also be enough. I've seen this done already.

If Betty wants to hoon around on bike paths then 500w is what she needs ... IMHO :)

Hangdog98

Postby Hangdog98 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:55 am

Comedian wrote:If Betty wants to get fit them the current 200w or a governed EU 250W would also be enough. I've seen this done already.
There's not many fat people riding along the bike paths I use (except for me of course) and none that I've seen on 200W elec-assist bikes. In fact, none on any electric bike of any description. Maybe they're all in Brisbane, though I doubt it. You see, it's not happening and it should be. Keeping the bike paths and cycleways to yourself and expecting them to expand by coveting them is not going to happen. Being precious about how much assistance you'll allow will stop the increased usage that we assured Governments they'd get and stop any future funding. There is a very strong movement to stop cycleway construction and tear up existing ones because of under-use. Then what?

Nope, let poor old Betty enjoy her riding, don't spin that that no pain-no gain nonsense because all we'll see from that is no Betty and no-more-cycleways and then the terrorists will have won. :shock:

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:40 am

Hangdog98 wrote:.

When a 130kg obese woman decides to get fit, (let's call her Betty) and enjoy the cycle paths in her town she should be encouraged to buy a sturdy bike with an electric motor. She'll pedal when she can, take a rest when she needs to and find great freedom from he new bike. She'll lose weight and get healthier just by being out there.
I'd give your arguments more credence if I heard about your OWN experience(s) with an e-bike rather than some hypothetical woman and what you think she might do and feel.
There is a very strong movement to stop cycleway construction and tear up existing ones because of under-use. Then what?
Do you have any substantive evidence for this claim? (And please, don't just supply a link and expect somebody else to do your research for you.)

Joe
Bertrand Russell

Comedian

What is the point of the motor assistance?

Postby Comedian » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:57 am

Hangdog98 wrote:
Comedian wrote:If Betty wants to get fit them the current 200w or a governed EU 250W would also be enough. I've seen this done already.
There's not many fat people riding along the bike paths I use (except for me of course) and none that I've seen on 200W elec-assist bikes. In fact, none on any electric bike of any description. Maybe they're all in Brisbane, though I doubt it. You see, it's not happening and it should be. Keeping the bike paths and cycleways to yourself and expecting them to expand by coveting them is not going to happen. Being precious about how much assistance you'll allow will stop the increased usage that we assured Governments they'd get and stop any future funding. There is a very strong movement to stop cycleway construction and tear up existing ones because of under-use. Then what?

Nope, let poor old Betty enjoy her riding, don't spin that that no pain-no gain nonsense because all we'll see from that is no Betty and no-more-cycleways and then the terrorists will have won. :shock:
See, the problem is if you give big betty a 500w electric motorbike then you've really got to let the 45kg 15 year old have one too to ride to his job at Maccas. And I don't agree with that.

I mate of mine is 150kg and he has an electric bike. It complies with the current 200w limit and it has been a big help to him.

You see...unlike Betty he expects that he will have to pedal. In fact he tries to ride it without pedaling where he can... Hence he is getting fitter.

Betty should just buy her electric scooter and get on with her life. Bicycles are for bikepaths and shared pathways. I'm none too keen on having 150kg of Betty and 50-100kg of electric scooter hurtling at me. I'm really against spotty little Jim passing me at 55kph on the flat either. IMHO

I really don't get what it is with some of the people in this forum. Why not just buy your electric motorbike/scooter and do your thing?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:51 pm

On the use of hypotheticals, I note that, as he lost more and more of his argument, stolennomenclature could only come up with hypothetical rarities. But hypotheticals are sometimes still a legitimate form of argument.

I suspect that Betty would indeed tell some of the posters here to HTFU. Hypothetically speaking of course.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:59 pm

Alluding to the title of this thread, I wonder "what is the point of continuing this thread".

I don't think there has been anything new to it for some time and I suspect that there is nothing to add. It has been explained and no further explanations will convince those that seek more power. Further, those seeking more power will not convince the rest of us otherwise. Neither will we, on this thread, affect the eventual passage of regulations.

Is it time to lock up this thread? Time to get out on the PSP and push those pedals instead. Or flick the switch.