Ebike Beginner

Positive discussion on ebikes and pedal assist bicycles

Ebike Beginner

Postby PracticalRiding » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:37 pm

I live close to the Homebush Olympic Site (just one stop on the nearby ferry), and I want to add riding to my attempted at increased activity… I also want to replace my car on quick trips to the local shop for a few things… if I get really brave I might take an ebike into the city (Sydney) and use it to transit between the three sits I commonly have meetings at…maybe

So, I have been looking for bike in the $800-1000, in an Amsterdam style, as comfort is a important speed if I want to get myself using is regularly. I have own Diamond Back and Giant standard bikes, and if you consider that they now reside with my Best Friend and Sister respectively… please do not try to talk me back into the standard bike config, I want a sit up style.

At the moment the best match I could find is the Street Cruiser Z005 or Easy Cruiser T316 from www.yelectric.org
I will most likely buy it next weekend, after going to their Bondi shop to check them out… so first question is, what to do you think of these models, can you recommend anything better, and what should I ask, or look for when I go to check them out???
PracticalRiding

by BNA » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 am

BNA

Re: Ebike Beginner

Postby cachexian » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 am

If you have a read through the other threads, I'll think that you'll find that that brand of bike has been previously mentioned as being unserviceable.

Just check that the chain rings, brake pads etc can be replaced with standard off-the rack components.

You'll prob get nothing better in that price range.

Cachexian
Scott Sub 40 with 200W, 36v Ezee geared front hub motor
and...
Trek Madonne 3.1 driven by left leg and right leg
cachexian

Postby PracticalRiding » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:37 pm

cachexian wrote:Just check that the chain rings, brake pads etc can be replaced with standard off-the rack components.

I have read about half the posts available, and skimed the rest, also searched by the brand and models, without finding this... so if you could share a link to it, the would be great. :D

cachexian wrote:If you have a read through the other threads, I'll think that you'll find that that brand of bike has been previously mentioned as being unserviceable.

Will call and ask this before I go out... I will also post their response for anyone looking at this brand. :idea:

cachexian wrote:You'll prob get nothing better in that price range.

I had another look on the internet, and I fear you are right... it seams that right up to the $1600 price point the bikes being offered have similar specs, I may have to decide, as per one of the post I read, to treat this as my 'first' ebike, and if I use it regularly, I will need to look are replacing it with something in the $2500 - $3K range at the end of 12 months... sad when you think that my first car only cost me $5K :roll:

With the costs, if you do not want to build an ebike from a kit, most people would stop at the investigation stage.
PracticalRiding

Postby cachexian » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Yes the costs do seem high - but it does depend on your perspective.

My first Ebike cost me about 2K including kit and bike. But since my Ebike got damaged in an incident with a car - I've now "invested" in an ENTRY LEVEL carbon road bike that cost me about 2K.
and...
cachexian

Postby cachexian » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:25 pm

and...
cachexian

Postby PracticalRiding » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:54 pm

So.. I did end up buying a bike from the Yelectric Bondi Store, but not one of the models advertised on their site. Instead, after a test ride, and asking the maintenance questions, I got a Powerider, which I have found listed under another site for your information ( http://www.poweriderbicycle.com.au/inde ... 1a-26.html ). I did not pay as much as what is listed on the site, and if a moderator feels it is appropriate I will share the dollar figure with you.

The reasons that I picked this model where:
- It has 3 levels of interaction, Pedal Assist, Not Assist and Full Propulsion (As it is my intent to increase my level of fitness, this allow me to utilised the most manual option and then progress thru, knowing that I can get myself home if it comes to the worst)
- It has 3 levels of Pedal Assist, low medium and hi (Which will let me choose the lowest possible assist when I need it)
- Frame is larger than the others, and as I am 6 foot tall I found that the adjustable handlebar options it makes for a more comfortable ride for me. Also my worst half can use it a little before he decides to buy a bike or not.

Now to the question of serviceability:
- All of the serviceable parts look to come from normal suppliers (As per the advice for the shop), and should be maintainable, BUT I have yet to confirm the chain rings… will take a closer look and post some more info
- That is not to say that all of the parts are of the best quality available, for example I found some on line discussion about the brakes that may mean that are a weak point ( http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/brake-sy ... 08crx.aspx )

Put the bike together and went for a test ride after charging the battery overnight, lots of the small adjustment, and the first problem identified – where do I put the water bottle??????

Second problem… I want a rear basket to nick to the local shop, so I figure that is where I will put my bottle… and I go and buy as basket… BUT the screws are too long, so I need go to the hardware store and get some shorter ones if I want to keep them clear of the battery..
PracticalRiding

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:54 pm

Keep us updated - always good to hear how they are going over time.
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SavannahBlake » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Your estimated price is high, it should not more than $400. Other wise people will not buy it. In fact people will hesitate because it may not have more high speed than 60KM/Hr. People will buy if battery timing is 80Km - 120 Km and speed should be more than 60KM/Hr.
SavannahBlake

Postby cachexian » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 pm

SavannahBlake wrote:Your estimated price is high, it should not more than $400. Other wise people will not buy it. In fact people will hesitate because it may not have more high speed than 60KM/Hr. People will buy if battery timing is 80Km - 120 Km and speed should be more than 60KM/Hr.

Huh? I don't quite understand. To which post is your comment referring?

C. :?:
and...
cachexian

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:51 pm

SavannahBlake wrote:Your estimated price is high, it should not more than $400. Other wise people will not buy it. In fact people will hesitate because it may not have more high speed than 60KM/Hr. People will buy if battery timing is 80Km - 120 Km and speed should be more than 60KM/Hr.

???
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby OldNick » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Spoken in trollish I think.

Nick
OldNick

Return to Electric Bicycles