Gazelle Innergy eBike in review

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gazelle Innergy eBike in review

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:50 pm

David Halfpenny has a review on the current Gazelle Orange Plus Innergy XT eBike.

David touches very well on the value of this brand in that they are very well integrated. It is not just a bike with a motor and battery instead is built upon years of experience so that it is not just a well thought through transport alternative, the actual ebike part, the electronics and functionality performs very well. One of the main reasons in highlighting this in particular is that there are still plenty of dodgy eBikes on the market which sell for the same price. Gazelle isn't the only quality brand out there but care should be taken by new ebike buyers that they have a well established an reputable brand that will be around for many years to come.

Cycling is in my BNA

Joeblake

Re: Gazelle Innergy eBike in review

Postby Joeblake » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Good advice indeed.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:03 pm

My wife and I both bought these and took delivery on 31 Dec 2012. We upgraded to the gold battery and added panniers. We love them, they are brilliant. They really are a viable transport alternative, that nearly anyone could use and have the potential to reduce congestion considerably. :D
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:44 am

Out of interest, were you looking at other brands or did you go straight to Gazelle?
Cycling is in my BNA

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Out of interest, were you looking at other brands or did you go straight to Gazelle?
I looked at other brands that I was impressd with in the Netherlands - Batavus, Sparta and Gazelle. After searching for dealers in WA it came down to the Gazelle as nobody stocks the other two brands. All three brands are huge in Europe - I was particularly impressed with the Sparta e bikes.

Update on riding experience. We both suffered punctures last week in our back tyres. This was a huge inconvenience as we had to walk for an hour back home, then book in the bikes at the shop. This meant a week without the bikes. We questioned the level of puncture resistance on the tyres provided at the time of purchase and was reassured that the Schwalbe City Lites would be very good. I don't consider three months and then a puncture very good at all. We changed over to heavy duty tubes and Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, so hopefully that will solve the issue. Pretty expensive at over $100 per tyre including fitting!
Other than the punctures, we could not be happier with our new bikes.

cachexian

Postby cachexian » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:33 pm

Well it may be a little off topic but for what it's worth...

If you are worried about punctures, I'd recommend a further two pieces for your kit that I have found very useful.

The first one is Mr Tuffy's tyre liners. Since I installed these I've not had a puncture in over two years. They're a bit fiddly to install but you wouldn't have to remove the wheel to do it. Just deflate the tube, remove one side of the tyre from the rim and install the liner. I read somewhere to taper the ends of the tube by ironing it and I would recommend this as I've had no problems.

My local bike shop recommended against the Tuffy's saying they rub the tube and cause more punctures than they prevent. Well that's not been my experience at all. I'm still using the same tubes two years later so I'd say that he didn't know what he was talking about.

I purchased these from Cell Bikes and I will put them on every bike I ever have. Well worth the money.

To iron: place the cut end of the liner between several layers of baking paper and iron with firm pressure with the iron up full power and the steam off. The rubber doesn't melt fast so don't panic. Just don't touch the rubber with the iron directly.

The other is Park Tools Super Patch (got them from Wiggle). This is a self adhesive patch. Very quick and easy to place. Before I installed the Tuffy's I had a three inch nail drive itself right through the tread of my puncture-resistant Schwalbes and out the sidewall on my rear tyre. Two holes in the tyre and two in the tube. With two super patches I was back on the road in minutes. These days I wonder whether the Tuffy's would have stopped the nail. I hope I never find out. Incidentally, despite the holes in the tread and sidewall of the tyre, with the Tuffys in place I still use that tyre and have had no problems despite the holes. I'd say with the super patch and tuffys you probably don't need to carry a spare tube at all. I still do but I've never had to install a new one since I put in the Tuffys.

C.

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:34 pm

If you are worried about punctures, I'd recommend a further two pieces for your kit that I have found very useful.
Thanks for the advice. A puncture in the back tyre means a long slow walk as it is not possible to repair a flat on these e bikes. It requires removing a lot of other stuff before you can drop out the wheel. This can only be done in a bike shop.

kb

Postby kb » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:56 am

stealthbike wrote:
Thanks for the advice. A puncture in the back tyre means a long slow walk as it is not possible to repair a flat on these e bikes. It requires removing a lot of other stuff before you can drop out the wheel. This can only be done in a bike shop.
Ah but you can patch a tire without dropping the wheel (obviously won't work for changing tubes).

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:32 am

stealthbike wrote:
We have one of these bikes too. We fitted Schwalbe Marathon Plus as well. After I found out how hard it was to drop the wheel off the back I stopped carrying spares. :o

With the marathon plus tyres the chances of getting a flat are very very remote. If it were to happen we now just carry a puncture repair kit and the factory supplied pump. If we can't get it going then it's maxi cab time. ;)

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 am

kb wrote:
stealthbike wrote:
Ah but you can patch a tire without dropping the wheel (obviously won't work for changing tubes).
There are some tubes made for that eventuality.
They are just a long strip really and you wrap the round, fit the tyre back and pump them.
Can't recall where I saw them but one just might be handy to have.
John

kb

Postby kb » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:49 am

So a sausage instead of a doughnut? Interesting. I wonder if you can feel the join..

cachexian

Postby cachexian » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:15 am

John Lewis wrote:
kb wrote:
stealthbike wrote: Thanks for the advice. A puncture in the back tyre means a long slow walk as it is not possible to repair a flat on these e bikes. It requires removing a lot of other stuff before you can drop out the wheel. This can only be done in a bike shop.
There are some tubes made for that eventuality.
They are just a long strip really and you wrap the round, fit the tyre back and pump them.
Can't recall where I saw them but one just might be handy to have.
John
They are called Mr Tuffy's Tire Liners (American spelling). See my post a few above.

C
Scott Sub 40 with 200W, 36v Ezee geared front hub motor
and...
Trek Madonne 3.1 driven by left leg and right leg

cachexian

Postby cachexian » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:18 am

kb wrote:So a sausage instead of a doughnut? Interesting. I wonder if you can feel the join..
They are a flat sheet that you can insert between the tyre and the tube - you still need a tube.

You can't feel the join if you iron it flat. See my post a few above. The Mr Tuffy's Tire liners are really great!
and...

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:33 pm

I fitted my ebike with Tannus puncture proof tyres (700 X 23c). I’ve had them on now for 3,100 kms and not a single flat and no need to check the pressure each morning. They are starting to look worn but have heaps and heaps of life left in them. My current guess is that they will last at least 15,000 kms, perhaps more.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Yes the Mr Tuffys are a flat sheet but the tubes I mentioned are in fact a strip of tube sealed at the ends with a valve and all. You wrap it round overlapping the end pieces and inflate it.
Seems they have been mentioned before.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=60100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They do come in sizes other than 20" .

John

cachexian

Postby cachexian » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:24 pm

Oh yeah. Interesting idea.

I suppose the tube would inflate to the point of least resistance so that there would essentially be no "join" to be felt.

C
and...