Ebike with larger than 250W motor

Positive discussion on ebikes and pedal assist bicycles

Ebike with larger than 250W motor

Postby torsten.lachmann » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:57 pm

With the new laws ebikes with a motor up to 250W and assistance up to 25 kph don't require registration, insurance or a driver's license as they are seen as normal bikes.

I'm going to commute from Dee Why to the city (Sydney) which is about 20km each way. While the 250W motor would help uphill it wouldn't assist me on flat bits and downhill as I usually ride faster than 25kph. It would actually be slower than a normal bike because of the extra weight. My aim is to ride to and from work as fast as possible without exhausting myself.

In Europe there is a standard for ebikes with a motor of up to 450W and assistance up to 45kph. You need a registration and license to ride those but because there is a standard you can easily obtain a registration. (Conveniently a standard car drivers license also allows you to ride a light motorbike.)

Does anyone know if you can register an ebike like this in Australia? I would be happy to pay for the registration and get a motorbike license but I'm afraid this might not be possible as there is no standard. If it was possible would I still be allowed on cycle paths? I generally don't mind riding in traffic but crossing the Harbour Bridge I much rather be on the bike path.

Thanks in advance for your help and comments.
torsten.lachmann

by BNA » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 am

BNA

Re: Ebike with larger than 250W motor

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 am

Yes they are registerable, provided they meet the standard - in NSW that standard is "VSI 27 - Mopeds and motor-assisted pedal cycles" available at
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... i_dl1.html

No it will not be legal to ride on bike paths.

But the biggest drawback is that as I understand it you have to wear a motorbike helmet, which is significantly more cumbersome than a bicycle helmet.
find_bruce

Return to Electric Bicycles