Speed E-Bikes taking off in Holland

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 19, 2015 10:16 pm

Not sure if this is behind a paywall (let me know if it is), Bike Europe have an article published

Speed E-Bike Sale Accelerating in the Netherlands

The numbers are not as impressive as you would think, though the classification of ebikes is worth knowing.

Essentially we have:
Pedal Assist Ebikes (no throttle - cuts out at 25 kmh)
Speed e-bikes (throttle - max 45 kmh)

And the rest which have various levels of legality / licensing such as low speed throttle and also non-street-legal e-bikes with high speeds such as 80 kmh... i.e. a motorbike with pedals.

Happy for anyone to correct or complete, though the key is that this bike market for the higher speed e-bikes, particularly for off-road MTB and this of course has its own issues with regarding to legality of riding trails.
Cycling is in my BNA

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Tue May 19, 2015 10:33 pm

I recently discussed speed ebikes on another forum. There is lots of interesting issues to consider that relate to their classification somewhere between a motorbike and a bicycle (or a motorbike and an ebike, to be precise). For example, helmets. Speed ebike dealers are concerned that they will be required to wear motorbike helmets rather than no helmet at all (within the European framework). There is development of a new standard between bicycle helmet and motorbike helmet - a lightweight motorbike helmet essentially - though the status of its requirement at this time seems undecided.

Another issue is infrastructure. The Netherlands has, in many aspects but not all, a trinity of infrastructure: footpaths, cyclepaths, roads (motorpaths). Where do speed ebikes belong? There is already a minor problem of motorscooters using bike paths in holland because it's quicker and safer (for the motorscooter rider). This will only compound with speed ebikes and it's not practical to divide the road into more than three divisions to cater to every level
of hybridity between pedestrian and motorist.

But, this problem already has a theoretical and practically demonstrated solution, at least in part - Hans Moderman's shared space or woonerf design, in which low speed limits, limited signage and LACK of seperation creates so much ambiguity that all users become cautious.

(I suspect il Padrone might chip in at this point to say this is also the natural outcome of Southern European traffic planning, or lack of it).

Nevertheless, a key technical contribution of speed ebikes (and ebikes) is speed limitation. We can ask, if speed ebikes cannot travel beyond 45 kmph (except downhill or under the power of a strong cyclist, just like a bicycle), then why don't we also extend this concept to all vehicles? Speed limitation on all motor vehicles could be linked to license and registration requirements, for example. That's not too say all motor vehicles will be restricted to low speed limits, but that if you want to travel fast you need to demonstrate capability plus need/desire indicated by a price signal or other method. I think many businesses with single purpose vehicles would appreciate the resulting rego and insurance savings - think small inner city delivery vans, for example.

And I think there are many other possibilities for transport law that hybrid vehicles can propel.

As much as I love the purity and elegance of the bicycle as exclusively human powered transportation, the increase in varieties of powered transportation is useful for helping us to dissolve artificial (and redundant) distinctions and consider broader, safer and more useful planning policies.
Last edited by yugyug on Wed May 20, 2015 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

cj7hawk

Re: Speed E-Bikes taking off in Holland

Postby cj7hawk » Wed May 20, 2015 12:00 am

The article doesn't really clarify what is a speed-e-bike and what is not, and what power it puts out - :( The best I could find was that they were over 250w or could provide power at over 25 kph.

I supposed that technically makes my PAPC a speed e-bike if downhill counts, as I've had it up to 40 under power - the main challenge is that I only have 200w to play with, but with appropriate boosters to offset the effects of back-emf from the motor ( my motor hits max speed at 19 kph normally ) I can push 200w to any speed and continue -

Mind you, flat and level with no wind, it still tops out at 25 kph, as all 200w models do, but if I get a 15 kph tailwind, I can be sure of about a 10 kph boost in speed. Likewise, downhill I can pick up speed pretty quickly even on what most would consider a gentle hill, so speeds of 30 kph are quite attainable on fairly normal roads, though it's all average... A road I can do 30 down, I can usually only do around 16 or so back up.

Generally, I set my max speed cutoff ( where back-emf rises to the point that my motor no longer contributes to speed ) to about 36 kph under boost, but because of that, I can just about maintain that speed for a short time if I pedal hard as well - which isn't too bad for an unfit person like me. Anyway, my last ride maintained an average speed of 22 kph, was mostly under power and only sometimes did I ride like that - mainly when cars were coming up behind and I wanted to get off at the next intersection.

I've had it up to 60 before, but I'm kind of nervous on a huffy at those kinds of speeds, so I usually turn the boost off and let the battery provide some braking to slow me down to a more manageable speed.

In any event, a big advantage of a well made 200w PAPC is that you can contribute to the force with pedaling at any speed - something you can't do with the new 250w class.

David.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Wed May 20, 2015 12:51 am

A document on it - http://bike-eu.com.s3-eu-central-1.amaz ... ations.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Didn't help much with clarification :(

David.

pvb123

Postby pvb123 » Thu May 21, 2015 7:58 pm

A standard Pedelec (Pedal Electric) according to Euro legislation EN 15194 is allowed to assist the rider up to 25km/h +/- 10%.

A S-Pedelec (Speed Pedal Electric) according to Euro legislation EN 15194 is allowed to assist the rider up to 45km/h +/- 10%.

The S-Pedelec is still Pedal Assisted, it's not a throttle only bike.

Because the S-Pedelec is so much faster than a standard Pedelec, the Netherlands has proposed to make riders of these bikes wear special S-Pedelec helmets.

Also as a point of interest, the bicycle industry is moving away from calling a electric bike with pedal assist an 'E-Bike'. The correct term for this type of bike is a Pedelec. Whether or not this terminology catches on here remains to be seen.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu May 21, 2015 8:21 pm

pvb123 wrote:A standard Pedelec (Pedal Electric) according to Euro legislation EN 15194 is allowed to assist the rider up to 25km/h +/- 10%.

A S-Pedelec (Speed Pedal Electric) according to Euro legislation EN 15194 is allowed to assist the rider up to 45km/h +/- 10%.

The S-Pedelec is still Pedal Assisted, it's not a throttle only bike.

Because the S-Pedelec is so much faster than a standard Pedelec, the Netherlands has proposed to make riders of these bikes wear special S-Pedelec helmets.

Also as a point of interest, the bicycle industry is moving away from calling a electric bike with pedal assist an 'E-Bike'. The correct term for this type of bike is a Pedelec. Whether or not this terminology catches on here remains to be seen.
I think the term has caught on - Most EPACs ( Electrically Power Assisted Cycles - the term used in EN15194 ) are called Pedalecs here.

45 kph would be nice for roads and would be excellent for commuting. :) Thanks for clarifying. Do you know what EN15194 standard supports high speed pedalecs?

Regards
David.

pvb123

Postby pvb123 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:31 pm

cj7hawk wrote: I think the term has caught on - Most EPACs ( Electrically Power Assisted Cycles - the term used in EN15194 ) are called Pedalecs here.

45 kph would be nice for roads and would be excellent for commuting. :) Thanks for clarifying. Do you know what EN15194 standard supports high speed pedalecs?

Regards
David.

Sorry David I don't know the EN15194 standard that supports S-Pedalecs?? :(

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu May 21, 2015 9:26 pm

pvb123 wrote:
cj7hawk wrote: I think the term has caught on - Most EPACs ( Electrically Power Assisted Cycles - the term used in EN15194 ) are called Pedalecs here.

Regards
David.

Sorry David I don't know the EN15194 standard that supports S-Pedalecs?? :(
No worries - If I come across it then, I'll add it in here - :)

David

pvb123

Postby pvb123 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:34 pm

Ok great thanks!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu May 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Thanks for the input Paul and clarification on the throttle. I guess it demonstrates the confusion and ambiguity of some of the definitions.

On the example of infrastructure in the Netherland, which I know Paul knows plenty about, I can add a factor to the mix that in Australia there tends to be a fair bit of aggression on the roads whereas overseas in urban location with high bicycle usage that it is much more chilled. I have cycled in Holland and suggest that speed may be self-regulating.

Compared with sport and speed cycling in Australia, the transport infrastructure with superior cycle integration can also lead riders to pedal briskly along long broad cycle paths, while in dense areas with intersections or higher pedestrian traffic, bike riders would naturally slow.

While it may not be the case all the time, I am guessing with the numbers of bike riders that the percentage of reckless riders is lower.
Cycling is in my BNA

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu May 28, 2015 10:38 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Thanks for the input Paul and clarification on the throttle. I guess it demonstrates the confusion and ambiguity of some of the definitions.

On the example of infrastructure in the Netherland, which I know Paul knows plenty about, I can add a factor to the mix that in Australia there tends to be a fair bit of aggression on the roads whereas overseas in urban location with high bicycle usage that it is much more chilled. I have cycled in Holland and suggest that speed may be self-regulating.

Compared with sport and speed cycling in Australia, the transport infrastructure with superior cycle integration can also lead riders to pedal briskly along long broad cycle paths, while in dense areas with intersections or higher pedestrian traffic, bike riders would naturally slow.

While it may not be the case all the time, I am guessing with the numbers of bike riders that the percentage of reckless riders is lower.
Thank you for adding that - I did look further into this and there is no connection between EN15194 and S-Pedalecs. It seems that S is taken to refer to Swiss or Speed, depending on where it's used, and the power levels aren't actually according to any standard and vary significantly - though do appear to be legitimate and valid in Switzerland -

This page seems to describe it quite concisely if not authoritatively.
http://m-way.ch/en/products/e-bike/e-bike-laws.html

From what I can tell, this category of cycle is actually registered and licensed - it would be great to have such a parallel category here - I wouldn't have a problem with registering and licensing a 1kW bicycle if it was possible - It's notable that these can use normal bicycle paths - probably reflected in what you observed that the riders adjust their speed responsibly.

The main point to note is that we have the 200w laws which provide something closer to S-pedalecs than the Swiss laws have for EN-15194 compliant bicycles, so a good PAPC can will provide power to 20kph or thereabouts without pedaling quite effectively over much flatter terrain.

Regards
David