Bafang conversion

alanm

Bafang conversion

Postby alanm » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi guys,

I didn't realise this sub forum existed until just now. Some interesting reading, particularly, for me, the Electric X development - Petrol Electric Bicycle Project. Thought you might be interested in my journal. I've just ticked over 3630 K'S on a Moonlander with a 250w BS01. I'm still on the road.

Questions welcome . :D

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 16429&v=P1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers. Al.

Arakasy

Re: Bafang conversion

Postby Arakasy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:40 am

Interesting read there alanm, I have the same fang and I need to know... How did you change between the chainring gears ?
I've been living with the one chainring and it gets interesting. However I'm on a recumbent trike.(4-5 x your chan length) :lol:
Looking to do a long distance run with my dad in about 10 months,(planning on running away from Queensland summer next year :)

We are looking at the surly trailer,think it's the ted (big one) and planning on running duel 22 ah Li ion batteries to power the fang...with a lead acid house battery connected to a solar panel housed as the roof on the trailer. Idea being charge one Li ion while I drain the other...and of course full recharge capability when hitting mains.

Really interested in the chainring thing dude !!!
Don't Panic
And I don't know
Ride casual... Not to casual
They might snap out it's comfortable !!

alanm

Postby alanm » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Arakasy,
mate, it's a pretty high tech system........ i pull up and use my fingers. .. ... :lol: I guess there's no reason a derailleur couldn't be used though. I used some Rohloff spacers between the rings, I wanted to keep the distance between the chainrinks to a minimum and they achieved that.

Mate, regarding the solar system, seriously consider dropping the idea and instead,carry an extra battery pack or two. If we were talking face to face, I'd tell you it absolutely mess's with your head,...... get the drift???..... I'm using 13 Ah packs. Initially I was getting up to 80 K'S with careful use but now, after clocking up ~1800 K'S on each one, I only get 50 K'S out of each of them. Your 22 Ah units will be ideal, you should get around 170 K'S worst case. The solar panel roof as a charging system for phones computers etc works well, I've done that for years.

Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

Al.

geebee

Postby geebee » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Changing front gears with a trike is easy, fit a chain tube if not already fitted and just use your hand whilst pedalling, I used the same method on a chopper bike that had a similar length chain and no derailleur post, used a long chain tube and just reached down to shift, it had a very low seat :)

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:34 am

Interesting read
I do understand about the mess with y'all head bit. :shock: I actually read your whole blog.
My main issue is that if dad runs outta power he goes no where... Touch of a physical disability so he really can't peddle at all. So I need a way to charge while we have a few days rest and what not
Hmmm might have to talk to my bike shop about another chain ring :mrgreen:
Don't Panic
And I don't know

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:27 am

http://www.solarbike.com.au/QLD%20dealers.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just found this website... Looks Australian to boot :mrgreen:
Don't Panic
And I don't know

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:09 am

Arakasy wrote:http://www.solarbike.com.au/QLD%20dealers.php

Just found this website... Looks Australian to boot :mrgreen:
They are Australian and make a lot of interesting bicycles, but I've never seen one of their bikes on the road that had a legal power output - all the ones I've seen were well overpowered. :(

That said, the more illegal bicycles, the better. It will only establish a realistic need for more power that politicians will have to take note of - especially if they are already out and in use on WA paths.

Regards
David.

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:48 am

Yeah his bikes are not legal

But I'm interested in his solar charge option 1
Don't Panic
And I don't know

alanm

Postby alanm » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:30 am

Arakasy, mate, don't pin your hopes on that #1 option. That panel works out to be 0.7371 of a sq metre. That means the panel will produce ~73% of 90W or ~66.33W....in ideal conditions.... i.e. @25 degrees C. In reality, one would be lucky to get 30W out of that panel. This system is exactly the same I used, not gearwise but setup , panel, reg, bat, inverter, battery charger. I had 410W of panels and the best I ever got out of them was 216W. This was achieved on a sunny day in November. It had to hold those conditions for 5 full hours to charge a 13Ah 36V battery. The total weight of the gear was 15Kg. There are other downfalls with that system, eg. the battery size.

I would urge you to read this thread; viewtopic.php?f=51&t=83029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I honestly think this is a far better option for you and your Dad.
I've spoken to David and as a result hope to test his system whilst on my current trip.

Cheers.
Al

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:31 am

Hi Alan, welcome here, I had seen your trip blog, I shared it to the FB fatbikes group as “guy with fat bike and electric assist doing it the hard way”. I think those 12V lead batteries on front end were still in my mind.

To OP Arakasy, doing long distance check out the Gloworm Cycles ride from Perth to Sydney. I think 25kph and religiously riding the watt meters between motels was.required. Some places there were volunteers/friends or extra assistance to make the charges happen.