Getting into an electric bike before xmas

hedsik

Getting into an electric bike before xmas

Postby hedsik » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:53 pm

G'day let's talk about electric bikes. It's intended use is an alternative to our dirt bikes on our farm.

I've ridden an electric for a few days around the streets and hills of Caloundra and while fun, I immediately required something punchier for a bigger guy like me.
Next im confronted with the problem that nobody seems to want to sell me anything higher than 250watt, and yet they're for sale on eBay etc.
So the question is, can someone recommend what to buy, where from and is there someone in South East Queensland who'll fit the kit and battery up?

I've been having a look around and found these:
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/brisbane ... 1097550075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or for $100 more from the same seller in Mens
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cabooltu ... 1097548920" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Electric bike 'kits'
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26-E-Bike-El ... SwPhdU3cZv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and the larger more powerful motor here
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/36V-48V-Elec ... E5F13At4jA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leovendramini

Re: Getting into an electric bike before xmas

Postby leovendramini » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:43 pm

250 watts is the legal limit.We all have to accept that and are grateful we are able to have our Ebikes.

hedsik

Postby hedsik » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:43 pm

Some research has led me to mid-drive motor & lithium polymer battery for a bike conversion .
Seeking advice for anyone who has performed a conversion for info on which kit and battery?

Research continues

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:37 am

leovendramini wrote:250 watts is the legal limit.We all have to accept that and are grateful we are able to have our Ebikes.
I have yet to see a legal 250w bicycle anywhere in Australia - not even a picture of one, showing the compliance plate.

You can roll your own 200w bicycle in any state, or you can buy a prebuilt kit for a specific bicycle that's fully EN15194 complient ( and to be compliant, it usually has to be designed specifically for that bicycle ).

So, if you don't care about the law, you can stick anything on a bike. If you want to be legal, you probably have to either buy a COTS bike ( which hopefully can allow you to sue the seller if you ever have to check it's legality ) or build a 200w bicycle.

A 200W bicycle can be made much faster than a 250W one, and are nicer to ride, but have the problem if not as much power up hills.

Regards
David

p.s. For a farm bike, you can make any power... Have a look at the bike in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=51&t=86843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:38 am

I built up and sold electric moonlanders (4.8 inch tyred fat bike) in the UAE. An electric pugsley would make a good farm bike but you've got a number of challenges

I'd suggest it's going to be expensive.

Don't expect something as powerful as a MX bike. Think more like a bicycle with a strong tail wind

Most mountain bikes come with 32 hole rims. Most electric hub motors come drilled for 36 holes due to the German market

Bionx do powerful retro fit kits for 32 hole bikes. A Pugsley would fit one of these nicely. I've seen some built

If the kit isn't available here you will struggle to get the battery. Lithium Ion batteries are seen as dangerous cargo. They can only move by sea, can't be couriered by air or even taken on a plane as cabin or hold luggage. Hope this helps
NOT sent from tapatalk

Postby 446006 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:26 pm

http://dillengerelectricbikes.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:27 pm

Sounds like an Ubco 2x2 Utility farm bike would be just the ticket.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:43 pm

RonK wrote:Sounds like an Ubco 2x2 Utility farm bike would be just the ticket.
Oh, that's quite a nice bike... I like that - I suppose by the same ticket you could get 2 x 1000W hub motors, and I expect the thing would be crazy fast for a bicycle... And could cope with reasonably inclines as well.

Add my little generator and would be perfect for the farm... Hmmm. I might have to build me one of those :)

David

geebee

Postby geebee » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:49 pm

hedsik wrote:Some research has led me to mid-drive motor & lithium polymer battery for a bike conversion .
Seeking advice for anyone who has performed a conversion for info on which kit and battery?

Research continues
I bought my BBS01 from Emax (link at end) its fitted to a recumbent trike and works perfectly, battery wise I had my own HobbyKing pack but Emax can supply the lot if desired.
I can't see a real need for more power as my trike will climb anything with no rider assist and will touch 40 kph on the flat if you turn off the 25 kph speed limit (easily done) an MTB would not get that top speed without pedalling as my trike is aero dynamically very clean, light and runs slicks.
You have to tap the brake to unload the gears to shift but it only takes a ride or two to get into the habit.
Fitting is a piece of cake, just google if you want to see the process.
http://www.emax-ebikes.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jdh500

Postby jdh500 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:14 pm

Purchased through Emax in Sydney too, using BBS02 on a flat bar bike :)

JDH

softy

Postby softy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:02 pm

Buying a Ebike takes alot of research, i took almost a year looking at different options before buying one.

I am not a fan of the front hub design, i saw my pensioner neighbour go down on a commercial built front hub drive.

Go rear or mid. Remember the good kits are pricey, bionx is 2k then you need a bike. Also remember the rear hub motors only fit the wider chain stay MTB bikes. Racing bike have a narrower drop out so will not fit. Carbon frames are out too.

do lots of research before buying.

I bought a grace easy with the derailleur set up with the bionx kit fitted, beautiful bike but expensive.

best of luck.

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:25 am

I've got a mate with a Stealth Fighter, which he uses and abuses on (mostly) private property. Essentially it's a trail motorbike with pedals and would be a suitable replacement for petrol powered bikes.

Just a point of consideration, the more powerful an ebike is, the more maintenance they tend to need.

hedsik

Postby hedsik » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:42 am

I have investigated all of the options mentioned, went to visit most of them yesterday and the ones which are too far away I called and asked too many dumb questions.
Some good new stuff coming in the new year from Emax, if I can wait that long I'll end up with a Bafang BBS HD and 48v panasonic cells
If i cant wait that long and i want something local there's a guy getting rid of some slightly older gear with a spare for everything for cheaps.

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:10 pm

The bafang is what you want... Just order a bigger than 250 w if you want more grunt... But you can't run it on the roads, but for farm work it would rule over any hub motor
Don't Panic
And I don't know
Ride casual... Not to casual
They might snap out it's comfortable !!

softy

Postby softy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:24 pm

I wouldn't get to worked up about BIG watts, it means less run time, then you need to run a heap of batteries.

Doing big speeds, 50 60 km on the flats attracts Mr plod, crash speed is also much higher. If your fitting a kit to a normal bike, they are not designed for this power and speed.

just do the 200w or 250w options, this also allows a fitness component to your riding.

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:53 am

Need to read op, sounds like off road round the farm stuff.
(I've heard of people building motorbike like frames around those big mid drive motors :mrgreen: )
Personally I run a 250w myself on a recumbent trike.. I can pull 50 kph with a (little) effort and my it weighs a damn ton.
Roadies be like.....Say What :roll:
Don't Panic
And I don't know

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:26 am

Arakasy wrote:Need to read op, sounds like off road round the farm stuff.
(I've heard of people building motorbike like frames around those big mid drive motors :mrgreen: )
Personally I run a 250w myself on a recumbent trike.. I can pull 50 kph with a (little) effort and my it weighs a damn ton.
Roadies be like.....Say What :roll:
I think you mean pedaling entirely at 50 k's past roadies... 250w isn't allowed to produce any power over 25 kph anywhere on Australian roads ;)

David.

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:24 pm

Yeah.... Ah huh :wink:
:mrgreen:
Don't Panic
And I don't know

softy

Postby softy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:31 pm

I have seen a number of ebikes fly by me like i am standing still and i am doing 40km! These bikes have big batteries and usually the rider is not pedalling.

These are obvious illegal to everyone! Re: my post earlier.

And built around a kit and homemade.

if it is for off road and you want an electric motorbike, there are a few around.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:24 pm

softy wrote:I have seen a number of ebikes fly by me like i am standing still and i am doing 40km! These bikes have big batteries and usually the rider is not pedalling.

These are obvious illegal to everyone! Re: my post earlier.

And built around a kit and homemade.

if it is for off road and you want an electric motorbike, there are a few around.
When the EM induction fields from the coils in the motor cause your fillings to glow red as you ride past them, you do start to get at least a little suspicious about what kind of power they are running :lol: