Has anyone ever seen a legal Pedelec? ( Can anyone take a pic? )

cj7hawk

Has anyone ever seen a legal Pedelec? ( Can anyone take a pic? )

Postby cj7hawk » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi All,

Just thinking on the issues with electrics, and compliance, and I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen a legal Pedelec in Australia?

I've noticed that most ( all ) of the ones I've seen don't have compliance plates, according to;
5 Marking, labelling In addition to the requirements of EN 14764, the EPAC shall be visibly and durably marked according to EN 15194 as follows:
EPAC
According to EN 15194:
XX km
XX kW
Or the full version.
5 Marking, labelling
5.1 Requirement
The EPAC shall be marked visibly, legibly and indelibly with the following minimum particulars:
 Contact and address of the manufacturer or authorized representative;
 EPAC according to EN 15194;
 Appropriate marking required by legislation (CE);
 Year of construction, that is the year in which the manufacturing was completed (it is not possible to use a code);
 Cut off speed XX km/h1);
 Maximum continuous rated power XX kW2);
 Maximum permissible total weight (e.g. marked near the seat post or handlebar);
 Designation of series or type;
 Individual serial number if any;
 Mass if EPAC mass is more than 25 kg and they have to be move by hands.
Since this has to be rather conspicuous by nature, and I've never located it on a Pedelec yet, I've come to the conclusion that there are not many, or perhaps not even any, legal Pedelecs in WA.

Though if someone knows of anyone with a legal Pedelec anywhere - could I please ask for anyone to post some pics of compliance plates and models?

Thanks
David

koshari

Re: Has anyone ever seen a legal Pedelec? ( Can anyone take a pic? )

Postby koshari » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:27 am

i think you may be bang on the money given the vast precentage of EBikes (my wifes included) was sourced from a chinese kit.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:04 pm

I bought a new gazelle from the Australian importer. I've not seen any markings with any of that stuff on our bike.

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:33 am

So I've been looking around. Of all the bicycle shops in Perth I could find, none had legal electrics.

Though, worth mentioning, Giant Bicycles didn't have any electrics at all, but did, amazingly, seem entirely up to date on the law and their progress towards it - Kudos to them.

I saw a number of non-conforming electrics on the road and, surprise, found a legit one - The bicycles that the local Dominos Pizza in West Perth use for delivery are EN15194 compliant - Genuine Pedelecs. They all had a large compliance label affixed to the frame just down from the seat in a very obvious position.

At this point, I'm finding a common theme - No one seems to sell legal pedelecs, but some people are managing to get hold of them.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:43 pm

Apparently they're coming.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/osborne- ... 1101389077
New models are set to arrive in the coming weeks, register your interest with us today. prices are set starting from $1990 up to $3200. All bikes are compliant with Western Australia power assisted bike regulations

cj7hawk

Postby cj7hawk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:03 pm

eldavo wrote:Apparently they're coming.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/osborne- ... 1101389077
New models are set to arrive in the coming weeks, register your interest with us today. prices are set starting from $1990 up to $3200. All bikes are compliant with Western Australia power assisted bike regulations
They look rather nice - though a touch on the expensive side. As a point of note, Power Assisted bicycle regulations in WA do not include Pedelecs, which are in a category of their own, so a PAPC requires no labeling as does a Pedelec.