GCN video - road bike vs e-road bike

Mububban

GCN video - road bike vs e-road bike

Postby Mububban » Mon May 29, 2017 1:19 pm

I enjoyed the positive nature of this fun video, and amazingly, the comments are positive too! It's all about encouraging people to either get out of a car and onto a bike, or stay on one as they get older.

I'm also impressed that the e-road bike managed to have 15% charge remaining after a 105km mountain ride. Good battery management and an already strong rider help of course, but that's still pretty good!

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Calvin27

Re: GCN video - road bike vs e-road bike

Postby Calvin27 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:34 pm

This is what I feel like with my ebike mates lol.

Not surprised at the energy consumption. As a mediocre rider I rekon 250W is more than plenty. 250W is probably more than a lot of of people can hold continuously. With a progressive assist curve, it's probably averaging around 150w and that's a climb.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue May 30, 2017 5:32 pm

Yeah nice fun video, like one of the comments it had an old Top Gear feeling about it, without the giant pelican flapping his chops.

I just worked out a potential 40km job commute, going about 8km farther than shortest craziest for safety and nicer riding routes, with same rider power input I'd be up for:
- 2.0hrs each way pedal only, expecting 20kph average trip speed.
- 1.5hrs each way with pedelec, expecting 25kph average trip speed.

Seems like a no-brainer option that keeps me from owning a car for commuting.
Sadly a relative found recently being recruited for a job with a company car as FBT incentive, there's no substitute to get any of the $18k car package value if you choose not to use a car.
So our tax policy, consistent with society, is penalising cycling and rewarding motor vehicle usage.
Because democracy.

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:16 am

Great video.

@eldavo: If you've got the stamina/strength to handle 2hrs at 20kph, then I think you might be able to do better than 25kph avg with the pedelec. Of course the assist cuts out after 25kph, but I think you'll have more energy for those sections that you're going >25kph to sustain a higher speed.

For comparison: I do my approx 20km ride in 45min, at about 25kph (some good hills in the mix). I started riding again this year after a many year break, I'm >50yrs, not that fit, etc. If I can do that on my pedelec, I suspect you'll be able to "smash" that 25kph average. :)

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed May 31, 2017 4:57 pm

For sure Chris, everyone's ride style will vary. Mine are conservative approximation for all conditions. I've got a good ride history tracked across different bikes and a couple commutes with various electric over several years.

My commute I try to stick to 95% shared path. Stop start sections of shared path often kills the higher speed benefit for medium clear sections, so it allows time to take it easy and not be pushing.

I've watched old videos of my commute riding as fast as possible, pedal and legal electric assisted, it's a little stressful, not as enjoyable as I ride now and only ~10% difference to average trip speed due to the variety of conditions. I'm happier able to make that choice, playing roulette with 6-12 minutes in my trip time isn't worth it, compared to the much greater amount of time spent outside of commuting, online here for instance ;)