New Commuter - Ebike advice before purchase.

Matt_D

Re: New Commuter - Ebike advice before purchase.

Postby Matt_D » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:19 pm

Gday Martin.

I have to say it's been a dream run for commuting everyday with the Giant. I scored the very first 2018 model arrival in Brisbane. The power of the Quick E is mind blowing with hills a thing of the past.

Ive seen a few cheaper alternative brand models at my work place and those guys have had a series of issues with theirs. The giant has so many quality components that make the price so worth it. I can safely say it falls within your budget comfortably too...don't think you will pay rrp, there's always plenty of room for movement.

Good luck and make sure you get on as many models as you can for test rides.

Cheers,

Matt

coolfish

Postby coolfish » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:32 am

Matt_D wrote:...don't think you will pay rrp, there's always plenty of room for movement.

Interested in this comment. I would never pay sticker price for a car, but I don't know the protocol with bikes. I haven't bought a new one for a decade, and I can't even remember how that went. I may be about to lay down more than I have ever paid before for a bike, a big investment for me, so would be interested to know purchasing/pricing experience from other purchasers.

Notdoneyet

Postby Notdoneyet » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:30 pm

NOVISCOTT wrote:G'day Matt,
Congrats on the purchase, looks like a nice commuter rig.

I've recently converted to the E-bike crowd also and while there was some trepidation at the price, I'm really glad I did. I used to commute on my road bike until the M2 was shut. I don't feel comfortable mixing it too much with cars along the back streets on a carbon clipped in. So as a result I stopped riding just about all together. I have young kids and the wife and I both work, so weekends I don't like spending time away from the family on a solo activity.

The E-bike gives me the confidence to get back out there and being a MTB I can jump gutters and switch between paths and road depending on the safest route along the way. It also opens up the bush tracks though Pennant Hills Park / Lave cove NP for a really pleasant ride away from smelly cages. And if I'm running late, it's not too laborious on the open sections of the M2.

The effort an exercise is still there. Not as much as the roadie, but far more than the car or motorbike. And you can push as hard as you like. Afterall, it is still 50-60km and about 2 hours worth of effort.

I went with the Trek Powerfly 5. Brilliant bike, and awesome to take on camping trips for bashing around state forests or National Parks too.

Cheers,
Paul

How are you doing with this bike? Just looking at the same bike my commute is about 65km each way . My road bike is ok but not more than two days a week. Was wandering how the range and ride was on this bike. Cheers Rob

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:54 pm

One thing to keep in mind if using an illegal bike: what happens if you have a crash. You crash into someone or they crash into you.

If you have an illegal bike and you know it then it is quite likely that when apportioning blame for insurance purposes you end up with a lot of it. Which means if you get hurt and speed is anything to do with it at all that your payout will be substantially reduced. I quoted the case of a bod in Canberra a while back who was backed into by a car backing recklessly out of a driveway onto the bike path. He was hurt but his illegal bike meant he was considered more to blame than if it had not been illegal.

People focus on being done by the cops. If you aren't being absolutely stupid and showing off in front of the plod that is unlikely. But a crash and the consequences, that's different.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm

zebee wrote: Which means if you get hurt and speed is anything to do with it at all that your payout will be

...zero.

The insurers will run for the hills. Unlicenced motorcycle with an unlicenced rider. No third party injury insurance either*. If you're really unlucky the bureaucracy or minister will decide to "make an example" of you and the book will be thrown your way.

*Actually, if you're really unlucky you'll need long term care but will then fall between the cracks due to the circumstances of your accident.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ