I think I have been scammed.

leovendramini

I think I have been scammed.

Postby leovendramini » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:08 pm

2 months ago I bought a new Dillinger Opia bike from Ebikery in Kensington Melbourne.In that short period,2 rear spokes have broken.Phoning them to have them replaced under warranty,I discovered the shop has closed down and the best they will do is to mail me out the replacement spokes and it is up to me to have them fitted.
I am 70 years old,have never had a drivers licence and had many bikes over the years.In all my cycling years I have NEVER had one broken spoke.I strongly suggest that if you are considering buying this make and model that you do NOT.This is a heads up.

Thoglette

Re: I think I have been scammed.

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:46 pm

leovendramini wrote:In all my cycling years I have NEVER had one broken spoke.
Welcome to the wonderful world of modern, machine made wheels
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

uart

Postby uart » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:47 am

leovendramini wrote:2 months ago I bought a new Dillinger Opia bike from Ebikery in Kensington Melbourne.In that short period,2 rear spokes have broken.Phoning them to have them replaced under warranty,I discovered the shop has closed down and the best they will do is to mail me out the replacement spokes and it is up to me to have them fitted.
The spokes are worth about $2 (maximum) so what they are offering is not much. The real cost involved is the labour of fitting them and checking that the wheel is true.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:46 pm

As a customer, I would put the pressure on the importer to solve as it is still under warranty and should not be a significant disadvantage ... even if the retailer closed.

This is the number from the US website for Australia:

1300 014 317
Cycling is in my BNA

leovendramini

Postby leovendramini » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks,postage to and from Melb. to QLD is on me so it`s a no win situation.It was for warranty reasons I bought in Melb.not knowing they had created a `virtual store`.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:33 pm

That's a real shame, but it will be cheaper to get a workshop to put the spokes on than to post it.

You could ask the brand if they would be willing to cover the costs. In my book a very fair proposal... potentially even split cost.

My concern is that if the wheel hasn't been tensioned properly, it could lead to another breakage so when putting in ghe new spokes, an assumed job is to check and fix the tension of both wheels.

There are a fee ebike stores around Melbourne so this isn't a job for them that is rocket science or particularly expensive. If dillinger are prepared to show good will and support, then it confirms their trust in their own brand because this essentially comes down to the manufacturing / assembly so is not usually or specifically an oversight from the retailer.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Cycling is in my BNA

leovendramini

Postby leovendramini » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:34 am

The 2.1mm spokes are the reason for the now 2 breakages.I am awaiting the arrival of 36 stainless 2.6mm spokes I bought online.My local bike shop is doing the installation.Thanks for your concern.Dillinger should have known never to fit such thin spokes to the back wheel of an ebike.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 pm

I didn't realise that it is an Australian company, as you have experienced, there is room for improvement in their customer service because happy customers are the most important calling card for businesses.

I am not absolutely certain if it is the diameter of the spokes - it may have been the quality of the spokes or the assembly. But I expect that if your bike shop is helping you - you will have the guarantee of a well-built and robust wheel which is suitable for the purpose and will last.
Cycling is in my BNA

leovendramini

Postby leovendramini » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:39 am

I also think it was the low quality spokes.The 36 replacement spokes will be stainless steel.Thanks.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:04 pm

The combination of the large diameter flanges of the electric hub and small diameter rim results in a weak single cross spoke lacing. In combination with high torque from the motor this wheel is always likely to be problematic and must be properly built.

I'd be looking for an expert wheel builder rather than rely on the local bike shop.

Since you are in Qld I would suggest you seek advice from a professional such as craftworx in Brisbane.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

leovendramini

Postby leovendramini » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Actually,I am in Melb.If I was in QLD,I would be fronting Dillinger head on to honour the warranty.I am asking my bike shop mechanic to stagger the spokes in out in out.....This may give greater strength.