Bosch Performance Line Motor Case

Inspectorgadget

Bosch Performance Line Motor Case

Postby Inspectorgadget » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:26 pm

I bought a new Scott e-Aspect 720 on Sunday.

I fell off it today after trying something ok on my fat bike but not on a mountain bike, mounting a curb at 45 degree angle doing maybe 12k or so I guess.

So scraped parts and a 10k ride back to Whitford Nodes from Burns Beach against a head wind with no power as the sensor on the rear wheel had been moved. I did realign it but incorrectly.

Again Bikeforce in Woodvale sorted it in a jiffy. Great service again. I got a puncture the first hour of ownership and they picked me up and fixed it. Yes really.

My concern is the engine case partly came apart but did clip back in. Looking at it though I thought this is a real broken as designed issue, unacceptable for a mountain bike. Bosch have fixed this with the CX.

I imagine at some stage this will get smashed.

Any thought or experiences?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Bosch Performance Line Motor Case

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:28 am

Late, but my thoughts.

If it is because of the fall then it’s bad luck. With MTB specific motors they certainly look at a robust build but if you have a fall then bits can fail.

If it is secure now and just popped back in, you are good to go then?
Cycling is in my BNA

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:50 am

Yeah it clipped back. The left side disk and attached part (where it says Bosch Performance Line)is just glued on and has come loose. Will get the bike shop to look. Weird that they would use adhesive. Beautiful bike though and I love the drive system, very seamless, unobtrusive and efficient Only one fall. 450k in six weeks. It took only that one fall at low speed to damage it but only cosmetic.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:55 pm

Yes it's not an engine case, it's just an aesthetic dirt cover.

Falling and smashing things will usually result in smashing things :D

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:38 pm

An aesthetic dirt cover describes it nicely. It probably needs a good hosing out every now and then...LOL

Mind you I have seen plenty of broken engine cases and side covers on motorbikes where they are made of alloy and probably expensive to replace too.

Inspectorgadget

Postby Inspectorgadget » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 pm

It really is just a fairing to make the actual alloy case underneath the plastic look good and to protect it from impacts. That is it is probably better protected than some other e bikes where the case is the case there is no outer plastic casing.

The guy at another bike shop here in Perth said that he has never heard of a case being damaged aside from cosmetic damage although he has had a two failures of Bosch units repaired within the two year warranty period and two outside the warranty period. He said long term reliability of any electric bike is somewhat unknown as they have only been out about five years.

It was a bit reassuring. I know that some people really hammer their MTB. Not me, I'm too old to get hammered even though I'm quite fit. I watch the way some bikers ride their bikes on tracks and it is pretty dicey, damage to the motor would be the least of my worries and the most likely damage would be busted or bent rims, concussion and a broken collar bone.

He said my Performance Line Motor out of warranty would cost a bit under $1000 to trade-in and re-fit. That did make me feel a bit better about the whole thing.

I think the Scott e-Aspect 720 I bought for $3500 is a good deal and absolutely amazing to ride.

I look at some mountain bikes though and some are $8000 USD for even the non-electric versions. I guess I still don't know enough about bikes to appreciate how something could be worth that much.

I sold my E-Go Fat bike with a 350W hub for $1250 after paying $1690 for it about 8 months ago. Great bike but the Scott has hydraulic brakes and great front shocks and is lovely balanced bike. I'm also finding it much more efficient and it has a 500WattHr battery which is much bigger. It will go a long way. I did most of the Yaberoo-Bunjara Heritage track last weekend 32km of rough up and down and it used less than half the battery. Not bad. 550k on it since December just for fun.