Electric conversion kit for commute

jalva

Electric conversion kit for commute

Postby jalva » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi experts,

I am exploring electric conversion kits in the hope that it can make me ride to office 5 days a week instead of 2 or 3. Its 20km one way. I am considering getting one for front wheel.

As a complete newbie, I have a bunch of questions:
I am thinking 200w motor with 8-12Ah battery with throttle should work. Pedellac can be installed if not too difficult or unreliable.
If I put back the original wheel and take out the battery, I get a nice light weight bike back. Is that too wishful?
Is there a frame (also need to buy a bike) that suits this purpose better than other?
Do these kits play well with disc brakes?
Any recommendations on kits? Is ebay stuff good?

Thank you!!

Cycleops70

Re: Electric conversion kit for commute

Postby Cycleops70 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:39 pm

I have converted a commuter type bike before using Solar Bike parts (http://solarbike.com.au/electrickits/fr ... e-battery/).
It was pretty easy. Only took about an hour.

It fits in the front wheel & uses a throttle (not pedalec type) with a 200W motor.
I quite like the throttle version, as it allows me to choose when I use the motor, and how much.

I also kept the original front wheel to put back in. But in reality, that never happened as I just use a different bike instead.

Things to consider when choosing the bike is; are the forks strong enough. Carbon is not advisable & aluminium will likely start to open out where the wheel slots in.
I converted a Giant cross city 3 without any issues, & the wife has a Malvern Star flat bar commuter thing.

jalva

Re: Electric conversion kit for commute

Postby jalva » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks. I did read your earlier post describing the conversion and they influenced my plans about getting a kit.