Anyone own a compact e bike?

coolfish

Anyone own a compact e bike?

Postby coolfish » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm looking to buy my first ebike, mainly for commuting to work and getting the cycling bug going again. I'm intrigued by the compact bikes on offer, I don't have a lot of garage space left. Anyone here have any experience of the Riese and Muller Tinker over a full size? From the reviews I have read they ride pretty well but as they tend to be special order models its difficult to see one in the flesh.

RonK

Re: Anyone own a compact e bike?

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:34 pm

Don't have any experience, but I see plenty of compact e-bikes around the city streets.

If you choose the Riese and Muller you can be confident that you are getting a quality bike.

The Tinker has a premium specification, and has a price to match.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ofannaim

Postby ofannaim » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:23 pm

I own a M Type-3 Brompton Bicycle and I recently started looking for upgrade kit since I don't want to change my bike,
I know Brampton just released the electric version, I was ready to buy and sadly sell my current brompton (I am emotionally attached :oops: )
but then I found this video:

Skip to 3:52, where he talks about Zehus a company that manufacture a cool smart engine that replace your rear wheel and turn almost any bike to an e-bike, then see VELLO - it looks like a Brompton copycat, anyhow I figured Brompton can't fit the Zehus motor because of the triangle geometry, so digging up some more I've found Electric Concepts a company in Israel that actually offer the a rear triangle with the Zehus smart motor all together,

I am trying to find a way to ship this to Sydney, if they won't I'll try VELLO too, I love the idea of a lightweight bike and not less then 16" wheels..

coolfish

Postby coolfish » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks for that. The Brompton is tempting - an ebike that folds away to almost nothing - although even their own version about to come out will have some compromises.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:02 am

There is a Riese & Muller Pony with folding steerer for sale at the moment.

Zehus is desirable as a minimalist package but very proprietary restricted, relatively expensive, custom setup and troubleshooting scenarios make me cringe for ownership. Having heard someone customise Brompton triangles, the affect to fold clearance in build phase is something you'll need commitment and patience to see through.

I have minivelo and ebikes, your scenario may be very specific for what pro's and con's rank highest. My dream is a car replacement multi-modal clean (chainless) hub gear e-folder. The Tern Volt is close in spec. Reality for my scenarios is still car replacement but over more bikes, e.g. full size ebike, moving to pedal only bikes, with wheel off for odd car lifts, and a bit easier for minivelos into kids bike size car spaces with wheel off.

coolfish

Postby coolfish » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 am

Thanks for the info!
eldavo wrote:There is a Riese & Muller Pony with folding steerer for sale at the moment.
I looked in the for sale section and didn't see anything?