BionX shut down

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

BionX shut down

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:27 pm

BionX was a shooting star - awesome factory and brainchild of a millionaire.... and essentially the best ebike conversion you could get in terms of quality.

But... when ebikes really took off in the western world, it was no longer conversions rather complete bikes with integrated systems and also a strong trend to mid-drive solutions at the bottom bracket. While hub drives are still readily available on the market, the market for conversions is so small as people after a budget would go for a budget / cheap and nasty ebike over a conversion which they can't do themself or wouldn't want to pay to get a shop to do it.

So not looking good though if a new investor is in the market, it could come back.

Source: Bicycle Retailer BionX shuts down as it searches for new owner
Cycling is in my BNA

zebee

Re: BionX shut down

Postby zebee » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:07 pm

Bloody hell! And I just bought a Bionx kit.

I guess I have to hope the battery lasts as I found out after I bought it that the batteries have fancy electronics and so can't really be replaced. There is a guy in the US repacking some but there are, of course, issues with shipping.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BionX shut down

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:13 pm

Update on BionX
Amego Electric Vehicles purchased 81 complete BionX kits. NumberCo purchased a parcel of motors, batteries and other parts, and Crescent Commercial, which is an auction house and liquidator, bought assembly line and machine shop equipment and other manufacturing tools. Other miscellaneous parts, inventory, hardware, accessories and components remain and are still up for sale, as are BionX’s patents, trademarks, domains and subsidiary shares.
The full article contains a lot of details about the financial situation and how bionX ended up in liquidation.

Full article on Bicycleretailer (US Bike Trade publication)
Cycling is in my BNA