ELECTRIC TRICYCLE DYO??

drones

ELECTRIC TRICYCLE DYO??

Postby drones » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi, new to this forum. I have been enjoying my BBSHD for a few months now but I can't get my wife motivated enough to join me so in negotiating she end up agreeing in "I may go if it is a tricycle" so I've got one but it is only a 20" wheels (she likes it because is low) and a mid mount motor will be to close to the ground. A front hub could the answer but I would rather be mid mount or rear traction. I know there are some DC motors in Ebay... Any thoughts??? Thanks Clem

John Lewis

Re: ELECTRIC TRICYCLE DYO??

Postby John Lewis » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:04 pm

What is the trike? Make?
Standard style like a kids trike or a recumbent style?

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:26 am

My mother uses a Gomier coaster brake trike with front hub motor.

One thing she found quite quickly was that the cadence sensor has no smarts and so was giving strong power with small pedal movements. Which scared her, she felt it was running away with her. So we disconnected that and she just uses the throttle when needed up hill. Probably less of an issue for a younger person. I found it easy to get used to.

As I understand it the mid drive ones need a bit of care when changing gears else the drivetrain wears quickly.

I have a recumbent trike with a bionx rear hub, the torque sensor on that is good, gives solid push when I am pushing it but doesn't get in my way when I want to go slow.

You might have a bit of a problem finding a mid drive conversion kit that will fit a trike. Although people do have them for recumbent trikes which are harder.

drones

Postby drones » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:44 am

John Lewis wrote:What is the trike? Make?
Standard style like a kids trike or a recumbent style?
Hi and thanks for reading my post, the trike is a Gomier 20" and in need of a bit of TLC but it is a project so it should end up pretty good. I can't find a way to upload photos in this web site or I am missing something? Anyway your input is very much appreciated. Clem

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:12 pm

OK, Clem
I have one of those here in bits waiting for a
lot of repairs as was out in weather and quite rusty.
I think zebee has pretty much summed it up so not much for me to say.
A front hub motor I think would be best but try to get a geared one as the non geared ones cause drag that you need to overcome when not under power.

drones

Postby drones » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks John, I was hoping to adapt one of those kits seating on the rear frame of the trike. I have seen some photos in other websites but yes I may have to consider zebee's advice . I will keep in touch with this project. Have a good one Cheers Clem

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Sunrunner brand is a nice looking compact front hub trike with frog pack around the front. Good for weight you handle between your arms, with potential load at the rear. 200W with throttle a bonus.
They seem popular, frequently for sale, so you could probably get one for donor parts or just use one as-is if in good enough condition.

http://www.poweredbicycles.co.uk/Shopri ... le/786.htm

drones

Postby drones » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Thanks for your input. the true is we have had a brand new trike made by Gomier (same as the one you show but without motor) and sold it after two years without use so this one is a bit of a challenge as I like building things. Sure it would be easier but my plan is to have fun too. So I need to make up my mind in which way to go Hub, Mid mount or rear traction. At this point I am leaning for the last one but I know it is also the hardest. I have to research to see what's available, any ideas?

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:27 am

Well.. you don't want front hub, but why? What are your requirements for a motor? Not the type, but the things you think each type will and won't give you.

remember... if you have a delta trike (2 wheels at the back) then you have to drive the two wheels the same, or drive the front wheel. So whatever you get has to be
- front hub
- chain drive (either chain itself or the front chain ring)
- 2 synchronised rear hubs.

If your requirement is "a tricky build cos I want to build something" then chain drive is the way to go.

Mind you, ask the person who is going to ride it what she wants. Quiet? Cheap? Throttle only? Does she want the trike itself to be different, say different riding position, cargo flatbed for kids or dogs, lockable boot, backrest, feet forward, fairing, canopy, serious lighting, built in locks for easy lockup? If you want to build something then why stop at the motor, build a trike she really finds useful and comfortable. Brainstorm with her a vehicle she likes, and then motorise that.

If part of your requirement is "so she'll ride with me" then start with a bike she has designed to fit her needs not yours, then electrify that.

drones

Postby drones » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi zebee, as always appreciate your input as I believe we never stop learning. My project is to get my wife to join me in some outings as our interest varies in different ways. definitely no night ridings, I don't think she likes hard pedalling and in my mind I just want her to have a nice experience so any configuration will be fine but in the mist of things I still like to "create" or build something I enjoy doing and this is the reason I could become a bit more complicated (for some people) at the moment I have been looking at the Bewo 36V 350 W not sure yet... but price is very tempting. Lots to learn and prepared to make mistakes but it would be nice to hang around with fellows that have same interest! Cheers for now Clem

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:02 am

Small tip - using ALL CAPITALS is understood as 'shouting' and is used for emphasis but really it is not required nor recommended for all of the post titles to be in ALL CAPS.
Cycling is in my BNA