Replacing/refurbishing a battery

Mububban

Replacing/refurbishing a battery

Postby Mububban » Wed May 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Since buying my road bike, my MTB e-bike kit I was using for commuting has been unused. The battery was dying anyway, but after ~18 months of no use, now it's really dead.

Can anyone give me some pointers on whether it's possible to open it up and just replace the battery cells, without buying a new battery at full retail (~$450)?

http://solarbike.com.au/batteries/36v-9ah-tube-battery/

If I can do it for under say $200 it might be worthwhile, otherwise I'll retire it officially.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

twowheels

Re: Replacing/refurbishing a battery

Postby twowheels » Wed May 02, 2018 5:53 pm

This situation is alluded to in a book I've recently read. The author mentioned he believes e-bikes are not viable long term. Anecdotally he says many have been impulse purchased ( not suggesting this was your case), then left parked in favour of traditionally propelled bikes.
Book/author - Copenhagenize by Mikael Colville-Andersen.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed May 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Should be easy enough to open up - the black plastic caps are held on by 3 screws, however they may be some weird "security" head. You should then be able to reuse the battery case & BMS

The battery takes 40 cells so to bring it under $200 you need to find a source of 18650 cells at less than $5 ea, preferably with welded tabs, which won't be an easy task.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed May 02, 2018 9:49 pm

Oh well. I'll keep looking around, but if it never gets used gain, it was still money well spent. E-biking got me back on the bike commuting regularly after years away (starting a family and just doing other hobbies), and from there I bought my first road bike and have never looked back.

I'll always regard e-bikes fondly :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!