E Bike for distance

Notdoneyet

E Bike for distance

Postby Notdoneyet » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:33 pm

I have just started looking into an E bike. My commute is 65ks each way. I can manage about 2 days a week on road bike but was hoping this may help with doing more days the ride only has a couple of hills. Any suggestions on an E-bike for this range?

zebee

Re: E Bike for distance

Postby zebee » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:47 pm

You will probably have to take the charger with you and charge the battery at work. 130km is outside most bike ranges unless you are pedalling a lot and using lowest assist level.

My Bionx can do 80-90km on 2nd of 4 levels with a few minutes on top level on a big hill but I'm doing most of the work.

Range is more battery than motor and big batteries are very expensive.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:43 pm

A second charger that stays at work is handy to negotiate, gives you a backup you can carry in case of failure, avoids vibration and chewing up luggage space, cheaper than a 2nd battery, keeps your bike weight down, keeps you riding rather than motorcycling, although for that distance wanting 40kph+ is understandable to keep under 2hrs a trip.

,butbutv

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:23 pm

There have been some promo articles in the media in the last twelve months of a Ukranian built long range e-bike. "Belfast" rings a bell in the recesses of my mind. The articles are the sort that are written by the retailers so swallowing a few generous dollops of salt may be approrpiate.

No idea if it is available locally. But statements about weight and speed would indicate that the power plant is excessive to Australian regs.

btw, don't rely on a batteries stated Amp Hours to calculate what it will deliver. For example, a deep cycle lead acid battery is realistically only capable of delivering about a quarter of it's stated Amp Hours before what it can deliver falls off and you start damaging the battery.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Commuter e-bikes tend to have fairly small batteries and will likely not provide the range you require. You should look at e-mtb's, which commonly have 500 Wh batteries. Fitted with slick tyres and ridden in eco mode with an occasional boost over hills these will yield a range of close to 90 km.

I am riding a Focus Bold Plus which has both an internal and external battery for around 750 Wh and yielding a range of around 140km in eco mode.

Be warned that bikes with this level of capability are going to cost you a lot more than the average commuter e-bike.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...