Bicycle Network... and threats of legal action

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Bicycle Network... and threats of legal action

Postby Ross » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:32 am

I wonder if this Canberra LBS recieved a letter too?
Ross

by BNA » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:19 am

BNA

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:19 am

To be fair, even the BHP Billiton logo has some resemblance too.
g-boaf

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:33 am

Lukeyboy wrote:In Coca Colas defense it's the fault of people out there over indulging rather than being responsible for what they are drinking. The very same thing applies to junk food. I love eating the stuff but just because I enjoy it it doesn't mean that I only have to eat/drink liters of the stuff every day.

+ eleventy million, but it's always someone else's fault these days :roll: .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:52 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:In Coca Colas defense it's the fault of people out there over indulging rather than being responsible for what they are drinking. The very same thing applies to junk food. I love eating the stuff but just because I enjoy it it doesn't mean that I only have to eat/drink liters of the stuff every day.

+ eleventy million, but it's always someone else's fault these days :roll: .

Generally I think Coca Cola, McDonalds etc, cop unfair and undue criticism.

That said BV chose to become a "health" charity as opposed to a cycling organisation. A health charity being sponsored is a bit of a joke. BV is quickly become one anyway.
human909

Postby Releng » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:30 pm

I need to keep up. I got a bv email the other day and thought that bna had taken them over. I remember thinking that it should improve the organisation. I reckon if they have pinched the name without asking they should be given some of their own medicine. Happy to contribute to a legal challenge to help protect the bna brand.
Releng

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:28 pm

Speaking of of branding, does anyone else find this a tad "I told you so"? "Company overview". After today's woeful performance by their CEO at the Qld Cycling Issues roundtable discussion, maybe the need to brush up on what their members expect as well ie: safer roads for cyclists.
Last edited by The 2nd Womble on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:31 pm

:? I wouldn't have thought that bow ties would work in the QLD climate...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Mulger bill wrote::? I wouldn't have thought that bow ties would work in the QLD climate...

Bow Ties don't work and neither does shooting down minimum safe passing distances in front of a Parliamentary Committee and a chamber full of actual cycling road safety advocates. Even the qld police commissioner and the MP's on the committee showed more interest in seeking a positive outcome for cyclists here today.

The 2nd Womble

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:18 pm

As always, once an org like them become big enough they get taken over piecemeal by the corporate types more interested in financial than advocacy bottom lines. Methinks Mr Keith Dunstan (the bow tie you could trust) would not be impressed.

Promise me you'll never take SCA down this trail Dave.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:30 pm

I'd estimate that I've turned down close to $60k in government funding to this point MB. I am committed to keeping it that way until I can be sure it's not hush money.

The 2nd Womble

Postby pacra » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Duck! wrote:For those not quite in the loop, Bicycle Network was formerly Bicycle Victoria. They may have actually been kind of OK once (about 30 years ago), but have become so short-sighted in their focus of "getting more people cycling " (I've left off the second bit because they've forgotten how to keep people keen on cycling regularly) that they've forgotten about the existing cyclists. They're forever spouting how wonderful they are 'cos they've built/funded bike paths here, there and everywhere, but conveniently forget that none of the bloody things link up, or that there are thousands of cyclists out there who use the network that serves the rest of the commuting community, (you remember those weird things called roads?) because it actually connects places in an effective fashion.

I was a member once, but let it lapse for several reasons (but mainly 'cos I was broke at the time). As time has gone since then, they've become so out of touch with the cycling populace that I have no desire at all to give them a cent.

++
I have kept a membership on and off for 10 yrs. Apart from legal/insurance cover and and a magazine mailed, I don't think I get much from it.

As D points out they hardly represent those commuters and riders on the big bad arterials in the burbs well away from the inner city trails and Copenhagens. I just think tackling overall cyclist safety issues and mororist behaviours is way too hard for them and they much prefer to cosy up to the seats of power and reflect in the gloss of the high profile projects.
pacra

Postby rokwiz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:46 pm

We wine about beverage sponsors and the like, but I see everyone's proud to be wearing "Orica" jerseys ! Any of you seen what these ____holes have been doing lately ? They're on the cycling bandwagon at the moment to hide their past years environmental track record. Is that like claiming carbon credits ?
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come... D Diderot 1752
rokwiz

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:09 pm

We're all hypocrites. 8000 Qld cyclists supported coal seam gas yesterday.

The 2nd Womble

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy