Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Perth drivers have taken to talkback radio to vent their anger about big hikes in road user penalties.

These include a $1200 slug for an offence that previously didn't attract a fine or affect demerit points - altering number plates or fitting device that prevents effective identification.

"It's just ridiculous," several Radio 6PR callers said on Thursday.

Yeah, ridiculous. Break the law, get a fine... what are we coming to?

"We need to do everything we can to discourage unsafe driving behaviour, which is why penalties need to reflect how dangerous these driving offences are."

She singled out mobile phone use while driving, which now attracts a $400 fine and three demerit points, up from a $250 fine and three demerit points.

Good! There are still far too many people driving while using a phone and putting other road users at risk.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/big-p ... z36ODExi80




Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/big-p ... z36OD6JRHV [/quote]
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

by BNA » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:10 pm

BNA
 

Re: Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:10 pm

A full list of changes is available at the Office of Road Safety.

Changes of particular relevance are:
Motor vehicles entering bicycle storage area ("Bike Box")- was $100 & 2 demerit points, now $200 and 2 demerit points.
Failure to keep a safe distance when overtaking a vehicle- was $100 & 2 demerit points, now $400 and 4 demerit points.

Now if only we could get them to act on unsafe overtaking.
Scott_C
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:49 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby Bartek » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:57 pm

A good intention, but unlikely to have an effect if there isn't enough Police to enforce or if they fail to enforce (which seems to be the case with the 1m rule in Queensland!).
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350
User avatar
Bartek
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:43 pm
Location: Waikiki, Western Australia

Re: Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby softy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:46 pm

Sometimes I think the laws are a bit backward.

Don't wear a seatbelt $550 4 dermerits
Using a mobile phone $400 3 dermerits

To me using a mobile phone whilst driving endangers yourself and other road uses.
Not wearing a seatbelt only endangers yourself.

I would think using a mobile effects your control of the car whilst not wearing a seatbelt doesn't,
Therefore the mobile should attract a bigger fine and dermerit point penalty.

But it is the other way round! :?
softy
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Re: Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby exadios » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:50 pm

softy wrote:Sometimes I think the laws are a bit backward.

Don't wear a seatbelt $550 4 dermerits
Using a mobile phone $400 3 dermerits

To me using a mobile phone whilst driving endangers yourself and other road uses.
Not wearing a seatbelt only endangers yourself.

I would think using a mobile effects your control of the car whilst not wearing a seatbelt doesn't,
Therefore the mobile should attract a bigger fine and dermerit point penalty.

But it is the other way round! :?

+1
Considering that phone usage is equated with drunk driving license suspension should be on the books.
User avatar
exadios
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:07 am
Location: Melville, WA

Re: Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby Farmer Elvis » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:22 pm

As a cyclist I rate drivers and mobile phones as my single biggest chance of being rear ended
Farmer Elvis
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:45 pm
Location: Nort West N.SW.

Re: Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby Parker » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:43 pm

I'm cool with it
Parker
 
Posts: 1491
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby outnabike » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:15 pm

I would say they are coming into line with other states, that's all. It still hasn't stopped the poor practice though, still getting plenty of bookings.
Vic
• 4 demerit points
• $433 fine
NSW
The penalty for illegally using a mobile phone while driving is three demerit points and a $298 fine," he said in a statement.
"This is upgraded to four demerit points and a $397 fine if the offence occurs in a school zone."
User avatar
outnabike
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:48 pm

outnabike wrote:I would say they are coming into line with other states, that's all. It still hasn't stopped the poor practice though, still getting plenty of bookings.

It would be interesting to see stats on the number of fines for mobile phone use in each state.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby Mububban » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:59 pm

I'll say that all these extra fines do make me drive more carefully. I consider myself a careful driver anyway, don't speed, don't drive under the influence, I actually stop for red lights etc, but now I'm even more aware of keeping an eye on the speedo as I can't afford the fines. I know it won't have any effect on the yobbo that thinks he's Peter Brock, but every time I cruise through a speed camera, I love my cruise control that little bit more.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!
Mububban
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:19 am

Re: Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:41 pm

Mububban wrote:I'll say that all these extra fines do make me drive more carefully. I consider myself a careful driver anyway, don't speed, don't drive under the influence, I actually stop for red lights etc, but now I'm even more aware of keeping an eye on the speedo as I can't afford the fines. I know it won't have any effect on the yobbo that thinks he's Peter Brock, but every time I cruise through a speed camera, I love my cruise control that little bit more.

Also a reminder not to touch your phone while you are driving, even when stopped at the lights. I have done this in the past but now switch my phone off when I am driving so I'm not tempted to read a text while stopped at the lights. It's illegal and I can understand the risks. Don't want a fine? Don't use your phone in the car. It's not that hard really.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 7340
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Big penalty hikes hit WA road users

Postby softy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:05 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Mububban wrote:I'll say that all these extra fines do make me drive more carefully. I consider myself a careful driver anyway, don't speed, don't drive under the influence, I actually stop for red lights etc, but now I'm even more aware of keeping an eye on the speedo as I can't afford the fines. I know it won't have any effect on the yobbo that thinks he's Peter Brock, but every time I cruise through a speed camera, I love my cruise control that little bit more.

Also a reminder not to touch your phone while you are driving, even when stopped at the lights. I have done this in the past but now switch my phone off when I am driving so I'm not tempted to read a text while stopped at the lights. It's illegal and I can understand the risks. Don't want a fine? Don't use your phone in the car. It's not that hard really.


A good tip is to put your bag/backpack in the boot, can't be tempted then.

(I believe) Also did you notice they are doing something just near the psp just south of the murdoch station. I do believe this looks like a fixed radar camera facing south. Can anyone confirm this?
softy
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:44 pm


Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit