2017 Cycling fatalities

trailgumby

Re: 2017 Cycling fatalities

Postby trailgumby » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:14 pm

biker jk wrote:
g-boaf wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mohamed-fagee ... zlw5k.html

300 hours community service is not enough for killing someone.
Appalling victim blaming in that article with references to having no light and wearing dark clothing. It's a straight section of road with clear visibility up the hill. The driver could see her but turned anyway misjudging her speed (it's a steep downhill and +60kmh is achieved by just rolling along).
So reading about her injuries, and remembering the horrific picture in the Daily Mail, she bled out on the road from a cut to her neck.

I wonder if anybody intervened to try to stem the bleeding, or did they panic and not know what to do? We'll never know. Such an utter waste.

The excuse-making on behalf of the driver angers me profoundly. Essentially, he wasn't keeping a proper lookout for bike riders so failed to register her presence - same as it ever was. :x

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:19 pm

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/new ... 3b0ba8ee40

The cyclist hit in Coolangatta 2 days ago has died in hospital.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Scott_C wrote:http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/new ... 3b0ba8ee40

The cyclist hit in Coolangatta 2 days ago has died in hospital.
There is a thread running about this collision here

00tones00

Postby 00tones00 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:23 pm

biker jk wrote:
g-boaf wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/mohamed-fagee ... zlw5k.html

300 hours community service is not enough for killing someone.
Appalling victim blaming in that article with references to having no light and wearing dark clothing. It's a straight section of road with clear visibility up the hill. The driver could see her but turned anyway misjudging her speed (it's a steep downhill and +60kmh is achieved by just rolling along).
Apparently the light was too poor for a driver to see a couple of cyclists on a straight road (and be reported without comment by SMH) but good enough for SMH to take their own photos at the crash scene with no need for flash:
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclist-car-c ... tdguy.html

The most disappointing part for me is the weak driving ban of 2 years. The driver admitted in court that his eyes were not satisfactory to see a cyclist at 10am on a December morning but apparently in 2 years time his eyes are going to be perfectly fine to drive again once he looks at a few letters on a chart?
If you kill anyone using a motor vehicle then you shouldn't be allowed to operate a vehicle heavier than 80kg EVER again.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:49 pm

uart wrote:
Scott_C wrote:Male Cyclist 69, killed in Burns Beach WA when riding in the traffic lane for a short distance where construction works obstructed the road shoulder. What are the chances the Traffic Management Plan has nothing to say about cyclist safety?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 17b20b31bc
"A 69-YEAR-OLD cyclist who collided with a car in Perth’s northern suburbs yesterday has died in hospital"

Why oh why is it always reported that the "cyclist collided", even if they are just going straight down the road and the car comes directly from behind and smacks into them? :evil:

This is something that seems to be very consistent with almost all main stream media reporting of cyclist accidents. Why is that?
It is US that sees something sinister in describing what collides with what. But even if Mt Everest suddently moved towards a running man and the two collided, I'd not expect to hear it described as Mt Everest collided with a running man. Just by virtue of the relativ e masses. In a si ilar way I'd not expect a cyclist/car collision to be described as "Cafr collided with cyclist" is both were moving.

I think we are getting a little pedantic to think that the manner of description indicates some subconscious allocation of fault.

However, I get your point. In the all to common case of a car hitting a cyclist from behind, I would rather they stated it as a car hitting a cyclist. Or a car running into a cyclist. Or neutrally as "a car and a cyclist collided".
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:49 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
uart wrote:
Scott_C wrote:Male Cyclist 69, killed in Burns Beach WA when riding in the traffic lane for a short distance where construction works obstructed the road shoulder. What are the chances the Traffic Management Plan has nothing to say about cyclist safety?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 17b20b31bc
"A 69-YEAR-OLD cyclist who collided with a car in Perth’s northern suburbs yesterday has died in hospital"

Why oh why is it always reported that the "cyclist collided", even if they are just going straight down the road and the car comes directly from behind and smacks into them? :evil:

This is something that seems to be very consistent with almost all main stream media reporting of cyclist accidents. Why is that?
It is US that sees something sinister in describing what collides with what. But even if Mt Everest suddently moved towards a running man and the two collided, I'd not expect to hear it described as Mt Everest collided with a running man. Just by virtue of the relativ e masses. In a si ilar way I'd not expect a cyclist/car collision to be described as "Cafr collided with cyclist" is both were moving.

I think we are getting a little pedantic to think that the manner of description indicates some subconscious allocation of fault.

However, I get your point. In the all to common case of a car hitting a cyclist from behind, I would rather they stated it as a car hitting a cyclist. Or a car running into a cyclist. Or neutrally as "a car and a cyclist collided".
I think this use of language definitely does evince an anti-cyclist bias, and I'm not even sure it's an unconscious bias. The use of phrases including "car" and "cyclist" but not "motorist" is more evidence of this bias, almost as if the authors are trying to shift attention away from the motorist who is in control of the motor vehicle in the incident. Another case is the use of the word "accident" to describe incidents that are almost always not accidental, i.e. the incidents occur because one or more people did something wrong. Yet another case is using the term "vehicle" and "cyclist"/"bicycle", as if the bicycle is not a vehicle (and as such, should not be given the same level of consideration as a motor vehicle).

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:20 pm

A male rider participating in the Sydney Melbourne 1200 died at around 10pm on Sunday 19 November on Oallen Ford Rd near Bungonia. The cause of death is unknown at this time, but an officer indicated that it is unlikely his death resulted from a collision with a vehicle. The ride organisers are helping police with their investigation. The ride organisers and the wider Audax community extend their sympathies to his family and friends at this very sad time.

Source: Audax Australia.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:51 pm

This was very briefly mentioned in news sources this morning, but nothing much.

Pardon my zinger, but why the **** do Audax need to be "helping police with their investigation"? The locals should be helping police by reporting suspicious repairs or damage. That's a low use road, not hugely wide. Someone local has damage on their car. Bungonia has a town population of 400. The wider area would be 1200. Someone knows.

Every time I think this country would be appealing as a cycle tour location, some numbnuts (not the rider) goes and mucks it up.

And just when are we supposed to be seeing a resolution to the Mike Hall incident?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:56 pm

familyguy wrote:This was very briefly mentioned in news sources this morning, but nothing much.

Pardon my zinger, but why the **** do Audax need to be "helping police with their investigation"? The locals should be helping police by reporting suspicious repairs or damage. That's a low use road, not hugely wide. Someone local has damage on their car. Bungonia has a town population of 400. The wider area would be 1200. Someone knows.

Every time I think this country would be appealing as a cycle tour location, some numbnuts (not the rider) goes and mucks it up.

And just when are we supposed to be seeing a resolution to the Mike Hall incident?
If you read the statement from Audax Australia it says there wasn't a collision with a vehicle.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 pm

News reports stated it could have been from wildlife, vehicle or crash. When does it become definite?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/police-i ... zomlw.html

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:00 pm

familyguy wrote:News reports stated it could have been from wildlife, vehicle or crash. When does it become definite?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/police-i ... zomlw.html
The Audax Australia statement has now been changed.

A male rider participating in the Sydney Melbourne 1200 died at around 10pm on Sunday 19 November on Oallen Ford Rd near Bungonia. The cause of death is unknown at this time. The ride organisers are helping police with their investigation. The ride organisers and the wider Audax community extend their sympathies to his family and friends at this very sad time.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Scott_C wrote:And a second fatality today, this time in Eastern Sydney.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclist-dies- ... zklf9.html
The Frenchman killed worked as a food delivery courier. Investigations are continuing into his death and no one has been charged as yet.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:36 pm

familyguy wrote:This was very briefly mentioned in news sources this morning, but nothing much.

While the phrase "helping police with their investigation" has a certain notoriety, I would imagine there are a number of relevant questions the investigators would want to put to Audax and the ride organisers in particular without being at all accusatory:
* Can you give us access to the Spot Trackers so that we can see when he stopped moving?
* Where was the last checkpoint, who was manning it, and when did he pass through it? Did he seem ok at that point?
* where is the next checkpoint so that we can interview other riders as they come through to see if they saw anything.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Another cyclist fatality, this time in country NSW:
http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... a1c948e6d0
A 61-year-old male cyclist has died in a collision involving an SUV on a country road north of Bathurst in NSW.

The local rider died at the scene after colliding with the vehicle as both travelled south-bound at Wattle Flat about 4pm on Wednesday, police said.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:34 pm

biker jk wrote:
Scott_C wrote:And a second fatality today, this time in Eastern Sydney.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclist-dies- ... zklf9.html
The Frenchman killed worked as a food delivery courier. Investigations are continuing into his death and no one has been charged as yet.
Very sad. That road (New South Head Road) doesn't look very cyclist friendly (busses, no cycle lane, door zone), and from memory it's one of those areas where there aren't many (or any) feasible alternative routes.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:32 pm

[
A 61-year-old male cyclist has died in a collision involving an SUV on a country road north of Bathurst in NSW.

The local rider died at the scene after colliding with the vehicle as both travelled south-bound at Wattle Flat about 4pm on Wednesday, police said.
Hmm. The rider collided with the vehicle. They were both travelling in the same direction. Seems unlikely that the rider was the one doing the colliding.

And yes, I know that collisions always involve 2 objects/agents, but there is definitely bias in the sentence structure of these reports. I dimly remember talk of subject/object order from school grammar lessons.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:50 am

Cyclist had been killed after being pinned underneath a car in Sutherland cemetery this morning.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/3801130 ... ery-crash/

Wrong day in print.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:Cyclist had been killed after being pinned underneath a car in Sutherland cemetery this morning.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/3801130 ... ery-crash/
Also at news.com Run over in a 20kph zone
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Cyclist has died after being struck from behind in Macedon, Victoria.
http://www.news.com.au/national/victori ... 9d1c93c534

Discussion in this thread: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=96708

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:04 pm

Hit from behind, on what looks like a road bike, on a flat road - say he's doing 30kph? Check out the impact damage :cry:

When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:40 am

Mububban wrote:Hit from behind, on what looks like a road bike, on a flat road - say he's doing 30kph? Check out the impact damage :cry:

Yeah. Maybe if he hit 6 sumo wrestlers at 30kph. :roll:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:17 am

Did it roll over or something?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Mububban wrote:Hit from behind, on what looks like a road bike, on a flat road - say he's doing 30kph? Check out the impact damage :cry:

Yeah. Maybe if he hit 6 sumo wrestlers at 30kph. :roll:
I should have clarified - I'm estimating the cyclist was doing ~30kph if it was a straight flat road, on a road bike. Not the driver doing 30kph.
jasonc wrote:Did it roll over or something?
Nope, that's a fully grown adult male body being thrown onto the bonnet, windscreen and roof :(

Is that road an 80+ zone? The driver must have been doing far more than the cyclist to hit someone from behind and still throw them onto the bonnet with that amount of force :(
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Centre of car hit so either the rider was riding central or the driver veered to the left at point if impact.
'Distraction' anyone?

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:10 pm

good description of the road layout in the ABC article linked to by bikerJK over in this thread

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 12&t=96708

its a 4 lane highway, made redundant by the nearby freeway and only used by local traffic I would assume the rider was riding centrally in the left hand lane with that type of road layout - but that is an assumption