Punneet Puneet extradition status

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Punneet Puneet extradition status

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:14 am

The actions of the Indian legal system and of the perpetrator influence the perception of the country and its people - the politicians and bureaucrats who can make the decisions should be aware that it is more harmful to block extradition and the course of a fair trial.

There is merit when a nation challenges extradition of one of their citizens if they feel that the punishment could be unjust (such as countries which have the death penalty) or if true justice in the legal system is in question. For Australia these are not factors which would prevent extradition - and delaying is not helping.
Cycling is in my BNA

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:55 am

Item from english language Indian newspaper "The Tribune".
THE premier of Victoria, Australia’s most densely populated state, has again raised the issue of extradition of an Indian citizen who was driving a car in that country and killed one person and seriously injured another. There seems little dispute about the facts of the case. The 19-year-old Indian who had gone to Australia to study hospitality, had a learner’s licence. On October 1, 2008, he was allegedly drunk and driving at 148 kmph when the accident occurred. He pleaded guilty to “culpable driving” but before his sentencing, fled Australia.

The Indian national, Puneet, was arrested by the Punjab Police four years later and is now fighting his extradition in court. He is, perhaps, counting on the inevitably lengthy procedure of the court system, and the various possibilities of appeal against the verdict, to stay on in India indefinitely. He should not be allowed to do so. The courts need to deal with his pleas expeditiously. He must be returned to the country that he fled, illegally, on a “borrowed” passport, to be sentenced and to serve his term.

Indian and Australia have a treaty that allows the extradition of individuals for crimes they committed even before the treaty was signed, as was this case. The matter being raised at the level of the state Premier underlines the sensitivity of the situation, and the Australians’ need for closure. India routinely seeks extradition from various countries, and in matters of diplomacy, reciprocity has great value. The criminal act of the individual must meet its logical consequence. He must face punishment for his crime and India, as well as its legal system, must not be seen as an impediment in the course of justice.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/editor ... 31089.html
I have seen no indication that Puneets constant non too subtle appeal to racist and xenophics is making any headway in the Indian community. Where I have, in the early days, used translating services on Indian language news pages, there is no support for him.

The process may be taking forever. But I'd be surprised if the same process, if fought doggedly, was not very slow in Australia too.

While extradition can be unpredictable I look forward to the eventual day the this low life is bought back.

He was never sentenced so on return sentence will be passed. Because his actions and his statements over a long period of time will make it very hard for our courts to accept any self serving statements of attrition. :mrgreen:

Because of his constant alleagations of fear of those nasty racist Australiand, I expect that he has made for a self-fullfilling prophecy. Poetic justice?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks for this. While it us one source, when ‘local’ media is also calling for action it is sending the right message.

As you say, the longer the delay and avoiding due justice, the less it helps the defendent.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 pm

Just so people understand that difficulties with extradition are not an isolated event nor are they unique to India or motor vehicle deaths - there are similarly difficulties in extraditing a school principal from Israel who is wanted on child abuse charges which has now been dragging on for three years.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:36 am

Yep more on that here.

This is unbelievable. No wonder we can’t bring this puneet bloke back. The courts allow all the bunkum over ill health.
Extradition is hard due to the wanted person suffering stress. It seem the very thought of going to court causes anxiety attacks.
The same thing with this person of interest in Israel.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-14/a ... rt/9444644

A former Melbourne school principal wanted on 74 charges of child sexual abuse has appeared before an Israeli court, nearly four years after she was first summoned to extradition proceedings.
Australia has been trying to extradite the woman since 2013, but the 54-year-old has claimed she has panic attacks, anxiety and is too unwell to attend court.
Israeli police re-arrested her yesterday, accusing her of faking a mental illness to avoid extradition.
On Tuesday at the Petah Tikva Magistrates court, the former principal appeared in court for the first time, covering her face with her hands and crying.
But Mr Fried did confirm to the court that the accused's panic attacks and anxiety occurred specifically around the time of each court date and psychiatric examinations.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:44 am

If the judge thinks you aren't sick enough to face the music take some poison to prove you are mentally ill. Careful with the dosage though, you are only trying to make a point here. :)

http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-n ... bdf7b872e2
Indian national Puneet Puneet who fatally ran over a student in Melbourne has swallowed poison over fears of extradition to Australia, an Indian court hears.
Saptarshi Ray
Australian Associated PressFebruary 16, 201810:09pm
………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Hit-run driver Puneet Puneet, who fled to India to avoid being sentenced in Australia, is in hospital after taking poison and is mentally unfit to face further extradition hearings, his lawyers have told a Delhi court.
Puneet was a 19-year-old learner driver when he ran into and killed Queensland student Dean Hofstee and seriously injured Clancy Coker in Melbourne in 2008 before fleeing to India in 2009 using a friend's passport.
"My client is suffering from serious medical conditions and consumed poison last night. He is suffering from mental illness", said Khaniya Kumar Singhal on Friday.
The defence lawyer elaborated by saying Puneet had swallowed Baygon - a household pesticide, and was in a serious yet stable condition at a Delhi hospital.
As the court heard the latest legal arguments in the case repeatedly had to ask the opposing lawyers to calm down.
During fiery exchanges between Mr Singhal and Bhaskar Vali, handling the extradition case for the Indian government, the defence claimed the case was "of political character" and some of the lines of argument had been "inhuman".
Judge Gurmohina Kaur sternly told them: "This is not how I expect two senior advocates to behave. Unless you can control your tone I will halt proceedings and you can go and have a cup of tea outside."

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:48 am

outnabike wrote:Judge Gurmohina Kaur sternly told them: "This is not how I expect two senior advocates to behave. Unless you can control your tone I will halt proceedings and you can go and have a cup of tea outside."
With or without Baygon? :twisted:

uart

Postby uart » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:53 am

outnabike wrote: The defence lawyer elaborated by saying Puneet had swallowed Baygon - a household pesticide, and was in a serious yet stable condition at a Delhi hospital.
He's hoping that everyone will just let baygons be baygons. 8)
Last edited by uart on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:22 pm

A very high price to pay becoming a fugative me thinks.....
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Isn't Baygon used to kill cockroaches...

uart

Postby uart » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:20 pm

biker jk wrote:Isn't Baygon used to kill cockroaches...
A cockroach on (four) wheels? Where's Derryn Hinch when you need him. ;)

outnabike wrote:If the judge thinks you aren't sick enough to face the music take some poison to prove you are mentally ill. Careful with the dosage though, you are only trying to make a point here. :)
Yes I agree. It's unlikely to be a serious suicide attempt. More likely just to try and convince the judge that he's a couple of berries short of the full punnet. :P

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:51 pm

uart wrote:Yes I agree. It's unlikely to be a serious suicide attempt. More likely just to try and convince the judge that he's a couple of berries short of the full punnet. :P
Undoubtedly the WORST joke ever on the forum. But gold never-the-less. :lol: :lol:

Actually a few berries short of 2 punnets.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

BJL

Postby BJL » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:28 pm

If the judge accepts that he is mentally unfit for extradition, then surely he should be sent to a mental institution for treatment and kept there until he is well again? At which time he can be extradited to Australia to face the music?

(I have no idea what conditions are like in Indian mental institutions but not my problem)

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:45 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Thanks for this. While it us one source, when ‘local’ media is also calling for action it is sending the right message.

As you say, the longer the delay and avoiding due justice, the less it helps the defendent.
I think it is largely that the local media are ignoring his plight, which is good seeing as Puneet keeps on trying to push the racist and xenophobe buttons incessantly. No-one is swallowing the bait.

To all those posting that the Indian legal system is protecting him, any similar extradition request of Australia will also be dragged out if the subject of the request vigorously fights it. Much as any most serious matters before our courts.

The Indian legal systems appears, and has appeared ever since he was apprehended, to be intent on putting Puneet on a plane to Australia. If Puneet ever beats this it won't be because of lack of commitment by either India or Australia.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:25 pm

The irony of all this is that, given the usual leniency of Australian courts in regard to "death by car" (in whatever form), if he hadn't done a runner then he likely would have been released long ago - even if he did get a custodial sentence.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:25 am

ValleyForge wrote:
uart wrote:Yes I agree. It's unlikely to be a serious suicide attempt. More likely just to try and convince the judge that he's a couple of berries short of the full punnet. :P
Undoubtedly the WORST joke ever on the forum. But gold never-the-less. :lol: :lol:

Actually a few berries short of 2 punnets.
I'll "LIKE" both of those !!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:09 pm

uart wrote:The irony of all this is that, given the usual leniency of Australian courts in regard to "death by car" (in whatever form), if he hadn't done a runner then he likely would have been released long ago - even if he did get a custodial sentence.
Because he left before sentencing that is yet to be determined.

The beauty of his predicament now is that any plea for leniency based on attrition and recognising the error if his ways is unlikely to have much traction before the sentencing judge.

Beautifully ironic. Brought about by his own actions further to those behind the wheel of the car.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:38 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:The beauty of his predicament now is that any plea for leniency based on attrition and recognising the error if his ways is unlikely to have much traction before the sentencing judge.

Beautifully ironic. Brought about by his own actions further to those behind the wheel of the car.
I was going to correct you and refer to contrition, but on reflection attrition is the more accurate word.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:11 am

neild

Postby neild » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:40 am

Sounds like the judge is having none of his shenanigans. Hopefully he’ll be on a plane back here soon.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:07 am

Shenanigans work...I read years ago of an early Australian murder trial where a murderers plea for being a crazy man was being heard. The suspect started screaming and fell about frothing at the mouth.
Yep crazy all right...they put him into an asylum and let him out in a few years.
Then he killed another bloke and the same trial process ensued. But they discovered that the froth was soap that the suspect had in his mouth. :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:49 am

Slowly slowly he gets closer to Australia. You know, I just may apply to visit him in gaol if he gets there :lol: Definitely won't be missing the court case.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:24 pm

If he is not in remand I wouldn't be surprised if he does another runner.
Go!Run!GAH!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Like another famous fugitive, if he hadn't been so keen to evade justice he would be a free man by now

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:08 pm

A great retort by the prosecution,

“If, as claimed, he needs constant medical supervision, then why hasn’t he been admitted into a hospital for treatment?," asked Mr Vali. He added tersely that if Puneet needed treatment for insanity, then Australia had psychiatrists too.

https://goo.gl/Jr3B3F