Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thread)

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby Percrime » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:13 am

True. Still hard to make a compelling case that bike helmets save more than a concussion very often. But yes still true
Percrime
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

by BNA » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 pm

BNA
 

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby lturner » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Baldy wrote:https://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/helmet-company-is-misrepresenting-dangers-of-cycling-says-lawyer/013638

Racing cyclists are not the enemy.

Amanda Grant is the enemy.

"If you are involved in an accident severe enough that a head injury will kill you, other parts of your body will be injured severely enough to kill you." Jim Moss

Oh well that settles the whole debate then. Everyone thank Jim :)


Good lord that article by Amanda Grant is terrible.

On another issue, are any MHL supporters willing to take up the case for the affirmative that this guy is doing something reckless and requires police attention?

Image
lturner
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:11 am

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:36 pm

lturner wrote:
Baldy wrote:https://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/helmet-company-is-misrepresenting-dangers-of-cycling-says-lawyer/013638

Racing cyclists are not the enemy.

Amanda Grant is the enemy.

"If you are involved in an accident severe enough that a head injury will kill you, other parts of your body will be injured severely enough to kill you." Jim Moss

Oh well that settles the whole debate then. Everyone thank Jim :)


Good lord that article by Amanda Grant is terrible.

On another issue, are any MHL supporters willing to take up the case for the affirmative that this guy is doing something reckless and requires police attention?

Image

That's missing the point. He's riding in a country (obviously not OZ) where there is no law requiring him to wear a helmet. Nobody is arguing that not wearing a helmet in is reckless in of itself. Those like me are keen to point out that riding like this in Oz where he is breaking the law, and one which practcally every Australian over the age of 5 knows is in existance, is reckless given the message it is sending to all who now label him a law breaker.
The act of riding helmetless is not the issue for the man in the pic. If it were taken on an inner city street here the perception would be entirely different.
I'm currently required to wear a helmet by law. I won't entertain the thought of not wearing one because
1) I'll be fined if caught, and
2) The next cyclist will quite possibly be seen in the same light by the driver who takes offence regardless of whether we're wearing a helmet or not.
I have seen drivers take to abusing several cyclists along a roadway more than once. The driver's anger may be (even further) misdirected at somebody else based on his dim view of my actions. Sure, drivers get it wrong, but ask what three things they object to most with cyclists, and it's going to be red light, helmets and rego.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby human909 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:41 pm

I personally don't care about the "how much a helmet protects you" debate. That said don't disagree with percrime.

However, as far as I am concerned whatever the activity if I am involved in a high speed fall on hard ground I want to be wearing a helmet.

Of course like PawPaw very much likes to point out we can't predict when this will occur. What we need to do is make an assessment of the probability of an occurrence and wear a helmet on those occasions. It is ludicrous to wear a helmet wherever there is a slight risk as this realistically covers our entire life. (In fact my only concussion ever was on a Year 12 formal years ago. Wearing a helmet then would have been very beneficial! :shock: )

The 2nd Womble wrote:is reckless given the message it is sending to all who now label him a law breaker.

That is a stretch. Its a motorist not indicating reckless given the message they are sending? :roll:

The 2nd Womble wrote:2) The next cyclist will quite possibly be seen in the same light by the driver who takes offence regardless of whether we're wearing a helmet or not.
I have seen drivers take to abusing several cyclists along a roadway more than once. The driver's anger may be (even further) misdirected at somebody else based on his dim view of my actions.

If I based my actions on whether it annoys bigoted motorists or not I wouldn't be cycling on roads. :wink:

The 2nd Womble wrote:Sure, drivers get it wrong, but ask what three things they object to most with cyclists, and it's going to be red light, helmets and rego.

I've never heard I driver object to helmets. Maybe its different up where you are though because in VIC there is 98% compliance. Even if they do object though what business is it of theirs?
human909
 
Posts: 6139
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:48 pm

Actually, MHL's at Yr12 formals sounds like a very practical idea. We could have used them as well with the collisions experienced after drunken deck chair races around the pool at the breakwater Casino that night. We aren't robinson Crusoe's there Human.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:22 pm

lturner wrote:
On another issue, are any MHL supporters willing to take up the case for the affirmative that this guy is doing something reckless and requires police attention?

Image


I'm not a MHL supporter, but that bloke ABSOLUTELY requires police attention. Wearing those shoes in public :shock: . My eyes!
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 7864
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby Xplora » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Isn't it worth noting how utterly ludicrous the caption is? It's meant to challenge. Who gives a damn about what country it was taken in... heads aren't stronger in Europe. We're the same genetic stock in Australia.

Take your nanny state and shove it. Your laws aren't enforced when they would protect me from moron motorists, so stop pretending that your interest is protecting my body.
User avatar
Xplora
 
Posts: 7508
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby The 2nd Womble » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:28 pm

Oy yoy yoy.
The one thing that doesn't sink in with you people. We have a law here. It's the very title of the thread. That European's heads are no stronger is the point in contention with regard to my posts? Really???
Drivers hate cyclists because we take up valuable space and break the law on a minute by minute basis. Just ask one who doesn't ride a bike. Don't argue this fundamental point with me. It's them you should be talking to. We have a law, riding without a helmet is breaking it. Drivers hate it. Buff said.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby Xplora » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:33 pm

No one is saying that you should obey or disobey the law. We are saying the law is stupid and should be changed.

You've been reading this thread, haven't you? :shock:
User avatar
Xplora
 
Posts: 7508
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:53 pm

Furphy Dave. Smokeboxers hating lidlessness has nothing to do with legal behaviour else they'd be banging on big time about the mora with phones clamped to their heads or failing to indicate. (Note that both these two examples of illegal behaviour have a much greater probability of injuring innocents.) Nude nuttedness is just one more hook they can hang their bigotry on.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 27101
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby PawPaw » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:07 pm

lturner wrote:On another issue, are any MHL supporters willing to take up the case for the affirmative that this guy is doing something reckless and requires police attention?


OMGosh, where are all the cars? and what is that thing he is crossing? Do we have them in Australia? Why not? Oh that's right....we don't need them....not wearing helmets is good enough.

Shame on those Euros for misrepresenting the dangers of cycling by excluding cars in cycling promo pics.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:48 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Nobody is arguing that not wearing a helmet in is reckless in of itself.


Womble, I know this does not include you, but there are a hell of a lot of people arguing just this. All those who support MHLs are arguing precisely this. In fact they are arguing it is so reckless that laws have to be passed to make sure we aren't reckless. Every Australian state parliament is arguing this by passing MHLs. I understand your position on the law Womble but the argument is not that we should flout the law, the argument is that the law should be repealed.

There were a number of problems with that article that Baldy quoted but there was one good point: why are so many supposed advocates of cycling arguing it is so dangerous? Not very conducive to getting people to take up cycling. Note, this is not directed at you Womble, it is directed at MHL advocates.

PawPaw, you're right, there are no cars in that photo. I strongly suggest that you should immediately dismount your bike when a car is within 50 metres of you. It's too dangerous. You should just drive. By the way Pawpaw, ever done any track cycling? No cars there so I assume no need for a helmet!

DS
Image

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
User avatar
DavidS
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby damhooligan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:28 am

DavidS wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:Nobody is arguing that not wearing a helmet in is reckless in of itself.


Womble, I know this does not include you, but there are a hell of a lot of people arguing just this. All those who support MHLs are arguing precisely this. In fact they are arguing it is so reckless that laws have to be passed to make sure we aren't reckless. Every Australian state parliament is arguing this by passing MHLs. I understand your position on the law Womble but the argument is not that we should flout the law, the argument is that the law should be repealed

DS


+1

I picked that up to.... you beat me to it....
It is considered reckless to ride without a H. That's why we have the mhl...
And this thread......
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby damhooligan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:32 am

PawPaw wrote:
lturner wrote:On another issue, are any MHL supporters willing to take up the case for the affirmative that this guy is doing something reckless and requires police attention?


OMGosh, where are all the cars? and what is that thing he is crossing? Do we have them in Australia? Why not? Oh that's right....we don't need them....not wearing helmets is good enough.

Shame on those Euros for misrepresenting the dangers of cycling by excluding cars in cycling promo pics.


Yeah shame on those euros....
The stats clearly show its dangerous to ride a bike over there....
Mayby we should force them to wear helmets too....
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby damhooligan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:34 am

ldrcycles wrote:
lturner wrote:
On another issue, are any MHL supporters willing to take up the case for the affirmative that this guy is doing something reckless and requires police attention?

Image


I'm not a MHL supporter, but that bloke ABSOLUTELY requires police attention. Wearing those shoes in public :shock: . My eyes!


I noticed those shoes as well..they are awesome.
I want some!!!
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby lturner » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:36 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:That's missing the point. He's riding in a country (obviously not OZ) where there is no law requiring him to wear a helmet. Nobody is arguing that not wearing a helmet in is reckless in of itself. Those like me are keen to point out that riding like this in Oz where he is breaking the law, and one which practcally every Australian over the age of 5 knows is in existance, is reckless given the message it is sending to all who now label him a law breaker.


Nah that is the point. 99/100 people who argue in favour of MHL do so because they believe everyone should wear helmets all the time - they are arguing that not wearing a helmet is reckless in and of itself. You are the only person I've come across whose main objection in this debate is that some people are "breaking the law", and breaking any sort of law is morally repugnant. Although I have wholly enjoyed your contributions, I don't think it's unfair to remind you at this juncture that "it's not just all about you". :wink:

In fact, most people care little about breaking minor laws. I prove it to you with this example: How many people exceed the speed limit by small amounts, say 5km/hr when they drive? It would not be an exaggeration to say that probably well over 50% of drivers do this each and every single time they get in the car. And speeding by 5km/hr is a more serious offence than cycling without a helmet in the eyes of the law (eg in Qld no helmet = $100 fine, speeding = $146 fine).
lturner
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:11 am

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby PawPaw » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:02 am

damhooligan wrote:Yeah shame on those euros....
The stats clearly show its dangerous to ride a bike over there....
Mayby we should force them to wear helmets too....


The stats show it is safer to ride a bike there than here, but as haters you can ignore at will....
There's less crashes, period, because according to your logic, not wearing a helmet makes it safer. hahaha. Magical thinking!!! Yep, the different infrastructure, the different motorist accountability laws, the different motorist culture, the higher density living and complications/cost of parking cars, has absolutely nothing to do with it. You guys think it is safer purely because........they don't wear helmets... hahahaa. kindergarten...

BTW, can you haters find a picture of a cyclist riding on an Amsterdam winter's day, you know, one when the av. max temp is 5C, or how about Copenhagen with a max of 2C. You see, I am interested in whether they actually put something on their head, you know, to keep it warm. Because according to you lot, soooo many people won't ride if they risk messing up their hair, with a piece of foam.... hahahaha. hey don't worry.....I found some.

Image
a Euro chick wearing something on their head in winter....go figure....so that blows the 'not going to ride cos a helmet messes up my hair' codswallop....cos they'd be wearing the same thing on their head when walking....brouhahahaha....or do they refuse to walk in the winter too hahaha.

hey, and here's one of Copenhagen....
Image
ahhhhhh!!!! all that hair getting messed up!!!! hahaha
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby human909 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:27 am

Surprise, surprise. When it is cold outside people like to keep their head and ears warm. :roll:

But I'm not sure what your point here is or how it relates to the argument. What does it matter WHAT reasons people have for not wearing a helmet? Isn't that the whole point of allowing CHOICE? How is Dutch and Danish cyclists keeping their head warm an argument for Australian MHLs? :? :?: :?
human909
 
Posts: 6139
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:01 am

ahhhhhh!!!! all that hair getting messed up!!!! hahaha


Bugger............obviously kindergarten time..........not really funny..........just kinda sad :roll:


....brouhahahaha....
User avatar
greyhoundtom
 
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 6:28 am
Location: Wherever the sun is shining

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:10 am

This thread rocks.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
User avatar
The 2nd Womble
 
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby PawPaw » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:22 am

human909 wrote:But I'm not sure what your point here is or how it relates to the argument. What does it matter WHAT reasons people have for not wearing a helmet?


ask your hater buddies, who have argued over 150 odd pages, Australia is more obese than it would be without MHL, because SOOOO many Australians don't want a piece of foam messing up their hair.....just more lamer logic used by MHL haters.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:29 am

PawPaw wrote:
human909 wrote:But I'm not sure what your point here is or how it relates to the argument. What does it matter WHAT reasons people have for not wearing a helmet?


ask your hater buddies, who have argued over 150 odd pages, Australia is more obese than it would be without MHL, because SOOOO many Australians don't want a piece of foam messing up their hair.....just more lamer logic used by MHL haters.

Stats show around 16% (1 in 6) don't want to ride because of the helmet. Of these, let's say 2/3s of them are women. (don't know if this is the primary reason for avoiding riding). So maybe 10% are complaining about messing up their hair/too hot/etc.

Don't misrepresent the stats. MHL opponents rely on the stats because they support our position. That is what makes such comments hilarious. 2 million potential riders will not do it because of the helmet in Australia... :shock: Half of Sydney. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
User avatar
Xplora
 
Posts: 7508
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby PawPaw » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:31 am

Xplora wrote:Don't misrepresent the stats. MHL opponents rely on the stats because they support our position. That is what makes such comments hilarious. 2 million potential riders will not do it because of the helmet in Australia...


hahahahaha. I'm laughing my a$$ off. The same cohort put a lot of other factors for not riding, before helmet hair....but you know that...
You know, I am even open to a trial repeal of MHL in a selected area, just to prove you guys wrong.
You can't even get a grip on why cycling rates vary dramatically across Holland and Denmark.
User avatar
PawPaw
 
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:53 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby damhooligan » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:38 pm

PawPaw wrote:You can't even get a grip on why cycling rates vary dramatically across Holland and Denmark.


So true... i have no clue whatsoever...

Oh no wait i might have got it...
It because their winters are so cold they wear headgear....
Thats it yeah???
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!
User avatar
damhooligan
 
Posts: 3409
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:16 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby Xplora » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:05 pm

PawPaw wrote:
Xplora wrote:Don't misrepresent the stats. MHL opponents rely on the stats because they support our position. That is what makes such comments hilarious. 2 million potential riders will not do it because of the helmet in Australia...


hahahahaha. I'm laughing my a$$ off. The same cohort put a lot of other factors for not riding, before helmet hair....but you know that...
You know, I am even open to a trial repeal of MHL in a selected area, just to prove you guys wrong.
You can't even get a grip on why cycling rates vary dramatically across Holland and Denmark.

You're embarrassing yourself. :idea:
User avatar
Xplora
 
Posts: 7508
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Torpedo 7 Cycling Express
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava