Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thread)

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (Was One & ONLY Helmet Thr

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:14 am

wizdofaus wrote:
il padrone wrote:Right-side running is 'salmoning'. I might not be very disapproving of helmet-less riding but such salmoning is downright dangerous to other cyclists and pedestrians.

I thought salmoning referred to any attempt to ride along a street in the opposite direction of the traffic flow,

Yeah. like I said, riding on the right-hand side of the street :|

wizdofaus wrote:I thought I'd read some research suggesting counter-flow bicycle lanes proved to very safe and effective when they'd be implemented in a few cities, though a quick Google isn't showing up much other than a few videos. There's even one in North Melbourne (OConnel St), though apparently it's been known to confuse drivers.

Contra-flow bike lanes are fine. Commonly used in the Netherlands. Different species entirely to the 'salmons'. If it is done correct it is usually on one-way streets - regular flow of cyclists rides with normal traffic, or in a left-side lane; contra-flow cycling in a right-side lane (their left)

1. Approved and usually marked
2. Cars keep out of the way
3. Contra-flow is not riding into the face of other riders.

Or in this Dutch example - contra-flow lane on the left (their right), cars (one-way) and opposing riders on the right.

Not to be confused with two-way separated bike paths. These are used in some countries (a couple here in Melbourne) but tend to have a poor safety record - mainly due to cross-street confusion by drivers. They work in the Netherlands where drivers on minor cross-streets are usually required to give way to cyclists on bike path crossings, so the driver culture is very different.
il padrone

by BNA » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 am

BNA

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 am

il padrone wrote:
wizdofaus wrote:
il padrone wrote:Right-side running is 'salmoning'. I might not be very disapproving of helmet-less riding but such salmoning is downright dangerous to other cyclists and pedestrians.

I thought salmoning referred to any attempt to ride along a street in the opposite direction of the traffic flow,

Yeah. like I said, riding on the right-hand side of the street :|

Which I'd agree is dangerous...but my understanding was that salmoning also included riding the wrong way up a one-way street, even if it were on the correct side of the road (or in the middle, assuming no trafic).
Contra-flow bike lanes are fine. Commonly used in the Netherlands.

That was why I couldn't find any hits - only Googled for "Counter-flow". Change it to "Contra-flow" and the first few results are exactly what I was looking for...
wizdofaus

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:05 pm

wizdofaus wrote:...but my understanding was that salmoning also included riding the wrong way up a one-way street, even if it were on the correct side of the road (or in the middle, assuming no trafic

Ummm, when salmoning, there is no correct side of the road. At least contraflow has a defined area to show peoples where they should be.
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:12 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
wizdofaus wrote:...but my understanding was that salmoning also included riding the wrong way up a one-way street, even if it were on the correct side of the road (or in the middle, assuming no trafic

Ummm, when salmoning, there is no correct side of the road. At least contraflow has a defined area to show peoples where they should be.

Correct as in, the side of the road you'd be on if it were a two-way street, i.e. the left side in Australia. Apparently there's actually quite a few contra-flow bike lanes in Melbourne, I assume all of them have the lane to the left of the cars coming the other way.
wizdofaus

Postby Percrime » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Umm.. The only one that instantly comes to mind is the two way abortion in Fitzroy st St Kilda? I am pretty sure that a couple of others exist.. But I cant think of any one way.. wrong way down a one way street. A couple of 10 metre ones through a one way entrance into a street excepted
Percrime

Postby human909 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Percrime wrote:But I cant think of any one way.. wrong way down a one way street. A couple of 10 metre ones through a one way entrance into a street excepted

The biggest and most obvious one is Princes Park Drive which is about a kilometre. There are certainly are quite a few around Fitzroy and Collingwood. Also the north end of Lennox St Richmond.
human909

Postby Xplora » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Sikh bloke just managed to get another helmet fine rendered "no penalty applied"... judge said he should get a doctors cert until the law is changed...

what medical reason does a religious person have that a doctor could support? ??????????????????????????

Funnily enough, even if you did have a doctors cert, the police could still fine you and you'd be required to attend court anyway :lol:
Xplora

Postby high_tea » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Xplora wrote:Sikh bloke just managed to get another helmet fine rendered "no penalty applied"... judge said he should get a doctors cert until the law is changed...

what medical reason does a religious person have that a doctor could support? ??????????????????????????

Funnily enough, even if you did have a doctors cert, the police could still fine you and you'd be required to attend court anyway :lol:

That very much depends on the state. Queensland has an explicit exemption: r256(4). Victoria, to pick another state at random, does not. There, "the Corporation" can issue exemptions. I can't be bothered looking up the statutory definition of "the Corporation", nor the rules in other states at the minute.
high_tea

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:51 pm

London Sikh cops have a black turban with a checquered strip around it !

A black and white cobra pops out the top to arrest you ! :D

Last part was a joke but first part is legit.
wurtulla wabbit

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Thought you were joking...... but heck no!!! Some photos show Sikhs with just a blue turban and Met badge, but this... :o

It's all a hot topic in the Commodes forum

This is the Sikh guy concerned

But hey, why is that deemed to be so dangerous?????

http://www.sikhchic.com/sports/the_sikh_motorcycle_club
il padrone

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Nope, serious as cancer.....

Was a huge bone of contention years ago when it was brought in to allow the police force to "employ " a more equal ratio of races in the force.

Same when they (fire service) started employing 4 foot, one legged Chinese lesbians over strapping 6 foot blokes(politically correctness gone mad ) .

That's not a joke either, it happened ! (Was disabled) .

Worlds gone mad !
wurtulla wabbit

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Last edited by il padrone on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
il padrone

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:13 pm

il padrone wrote:
wurtulla wabbit wrote:Worlds gone mad !

Got to disagree with you there. Half the problems of the police forces in Australia, up until the late 80s-90s, has been the fact that they've always been 99.9% WASPs, and those that weren't were the token Catholic. A Police force that reflects their community is going to be far more able to obtain co-operation and valuable information, and this is what boosts their effectiveness, not the size of their biceps or the amount of steel in their jackboots.

Just my 2c.

Until you need one to drag you from a burning house or car........think man, think !

Cops in Australia have a terrible attitude anyway, make British cops seem like angels !

I was signaled to wind my window down and one asked me if I wanted an effing ticket ?
I couldn't believe my ears !!!!
This went on for a couple of to ad fro's until he just sped off.....rude wouldn't cover it .
wurtulla wabbit

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Last edited by il padrone on Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
il padrone

Postby Xplora » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:28 pm

^^ I don't think you are both on the same wavelength. On pure feats of strength, you pick the most capable person. In the unlikely event that the 4 foot tall disabled lesbian is the strongest, most capable person at the test, then more power to them... that's not a racist comment.

Wurtulla was saying that all Australian cops are goons, despite their race. Separate issue.
Xplora

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Closet racism ?? My niece is lesbian and my uncle a Sikh.
You don't know me for a bar of soap and I'd appreciate you keep your wild assumptions to yourself.

Was this Aussie cop a wasp ? Now, there's a racist comment is it not ?
Glass house and stone throwing ????

So, to topic. (I don't bear grudges, luckily)....

My point is, would you want the best suited to the job or a person appointed to fill a job that's politically motivated ?

Eg, my mate was left in a coma after attending a domestic violence call in geraldton(he was a cop) his partner, a small blonde 20 something hid in the car, locked doors and watched him take a kicking from 2 blokes.

Now, if that was 2x 6 foot blokes , you reckon that would have panned out same way ???
wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:31 pm

Xplora wrote:^^ I don't think you are both on the same wavelength. On pure feats of strength, you pick the most capable person. In the unlikely event that the 4 foot tall disabled lesbian is the strongest, most capable person at the test, then more power to them... that's not a racist comment.

Wurtulla was saying that all Australian cops are goons, despite their race. Separate issue.

Too much sense in your statement mate. IL patronise wouldn't agree, he'd just make absurd judgments.
wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:01 am

Ah, rather than apologising, he's just deleted the whole insulting/hypocritical post....

That speaks volumes.....sadly ! :(
wurtulla wabbit

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:26 am

wurtulla wabbit wrote:Ah, rather than apologising, he's just deleted the whole insulting/hypocritical post....

That speaks volumes.....sadly ! :(

Sign of humility... Or mod intervention... You got what you wanted. Time to move on.

In other news, helmets suck!
Xplora

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:21 am

I didnt want to put up info on my niece but some people need to be convinced that agendas or racism isn't the issue.

Sad but true.

Anyway, move on.....
wurtulla wabbit

Postby simonn » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 am

wurtulla wabbit wrote:London Sikh cops have a black turban with a checquered strip around it !

A black and white cobra pops out the top to arrest you ! :D

wurtulla wabbit wrote:some people need to be convinced that agendas or racism isn't the issue.

Yes, yes they do. They really do.

I guess your first statement does not read like you intended? "I've got loads of black mates, but...." doesn't really make it ok.
simonn

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 am

I can't think of a funny quip that isn't heinously racist... :D Bill Burr, Jimmy Carr, Craig Ferguson... all fabulously offensive comedians. Youtube, my life would be dull without thee.

I think they are all brit descent as well. Coincidence?
Xplora

Postby London Boy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 pm

il padrone wrote:Thought you were joking...... but heck no!!! Some photos show Sikhs with just a blue turban and Met badge, but this... :o

That kind of looks the part. Community policing at its best, I'd say.
London Boy

Postby London Boy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:12 pm

il padrone wrote:http://www.sikhchic.com/sports/the_sikh_motorcycle_club

This is just cool. Colour-coordinated everything.

Wouldn't work if it was a Honda 50, mind.
London Boy

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:22 pm

London Boy wrote:
il padrone wrote:Thought you were joking...... but heck no!!! Some photos show Sikhs with just a blue turban and Met badge, but this... :o

That kind of looks the part. Community policing at its best, I'd say.

+1
il padrone

PreviousNext

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy