Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

User avatar
DrShifty
Posts: 132
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:58 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

Postby DrShifty » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:39 pm

find_bruce wrote:Bit of loaded language from the NSW Traffic & Highway police - cyclists are no longer booked for not wearing a helmet - it is now a "safety helmet"


Maybe one day they'll be known as a 'fine prevention device'. :)

human909
Posts: 8744
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

Postby human909 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:46 pm

Thought bubble I had.... Its a VERY tenuous link to this topic but I thought I'd share in case anybody else wanted to bite. The tenuous link is doctors, the 'experts', and their desire for their world view to be correct despite incomplete or just plain poor evidence. AKA MHLs...



"Dr Bartone said there were decades of evidence-based research to back up current healthy eating guidelines"
Click the link if you want to share in my off topic, discussion...

Yep. While I'm more in agreement with the Doctors here, but pulling out the 'we are the experts' line sounds exactly like MHL. And especially when it comes to nutrition I consider a fair bit of the medical 'evidence' about as bad as that of the MHLs. In the broader picture it is very odd how doctor's guidelines line up so neatly with traditional (as in 50 years ago) western diets as opposed to say indigenous Australian or indigenous Inuit diets.


Personally I've never heard of the TV show and only vaguely of the Aussie 'paleo pete'. I have slightly less respect for his nutritional advice than the 'doctors'.

But do I agree in stopping documentaries and viewpoints being presented simply because 'doctors' (or any other experts) disagree? That almost the situation MHLs have been in for the last 25 years....


(Yep. The modern Australian lifestyle and health is heading downhill. But that OTHER pile of evidence points much more strongly to sedentary behaviour than an imperfect diet.)

NASHIE
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

Postby NASHIE » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:44 pm

human909 wrote:(Yep. The modern Australian lifestyle and health is heading downhill. But that OTHER pile of evidence points much more strongly to sedentary behaviour than an imperfect diet.)


Yep were are hunter gatherers in make up. But now its no hunting and too much gathering. Felt so sad for a young (very overweight) kid at my youngest schools assembly on Friday who struggled to stand up 400mm high stage to accept his honour certificate. He went to hand and knees to get up, and i reckon he was about 9-10yrs old. Healthly 6yr olds didn't even notice the step. Some rich tv personality selling his BS paleo diet aint going help this kid.

human909
Posts: 8744
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

Postby human909 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:06 pm

NASHIE wrote:Felt so sad for a young (very overweight) kid at my youngest schools assembly on Friday who struggled to stand up 400mm high stage to accept his honour certificate. He went to hand and knees to get up, and i reckon he was about 9-10yrs old. Healthly 6yr olds didn't even notice the step.

It must be the carbs. (kidding :wink: )
While his diet probably is bad, I'm sure you could grow a healthy kid out of it if the same child was active.

NASHIE wrote:Some rich tv personality selling his BS paleo diet aint going help this kid.

Definitely agree with that. Though I'd suggest that doctors advice regarding diets isn't helping too many people either.

My advice (that I'm sure many on this forum would concur with):
Stay active and find a way to ENJOY being active. The latter IMO is so very important, because people often stop doing things they don't enjoy.

NASHIE
Posts: 564
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:16 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

Postby NASHIE » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:43 pm

human909 wrote:While his diet probably is bad, I'm sure you could grow a healthy kid out of it if the same child was active.


Absolutely, and maybe on thread, no MHL would mean kids like him would ride to school ?. Of the approx 400 kids that attand this primary school i only see 7-10 bikes in the shed when i ride to meet my daughter to ride home. Yet being a school in an area where all the kids come from about a 1-2km radius, they must all walk you say ?. No because the Footpath is jammed with parents cars that cant be arsed educating their kids on healthy living, ie walk or ride the 300-400m to school. Yep teach your kids to drive 300m :roll: These poor kids have no hope. The bad scary people that are around every cnr to harm our kids have always been there, and i don't accept that as the reason kids are not allowed to ride or walk to school. Its just lazy PARENTING that cant be asred walking or riding with their kids to teach them healthy living.
Michael Mosley is about the only Dr on TV who manages to back healthy eating practises with real life tests to confirm or dismiss......or as much as you can in a ½hr time slot. I think he favours a fasting type diet which really gets us back to Hunter gatherers indigenous diet.

human909
Posts: 8744
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

Postby human909 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:42 am

Pretty much agreed.

NASHIE wrote:Its just lazy PARENTING that cant be arsed walking or riding with their kids to teach them healthy living.

Though I'd give the parents a break here. We have societal and government backed scaremongering. We even have laws than punish parents for allowing kids to be independent. Of course there is a line between independent kids and childhood neglect but sometimes it can get ridiculous.

NASHIE wrote:Michael Mosley is about the only Dr on TV who manages to back healthy eating practises with real life tests to confirm or dismiss......or as much as you can in a ½hr time slot. I think he favours a fasting type diet which really gets us back to Hunter gatherers indigenous diet.

Don't know that one, not that any TV Dr is ideal. Though I have heard of the fasting fad. I sort of practice that myself sometime due to laziness. Also the one time I did try a fat reduction diet it was pretty much fasting plus protein. (It worked, though it was more of a personal body experiment rather than a health or vanity need. I had a tiny bit of extra fat compared to my normal zero excess, skinny default. I'm normally trying to put on muscle weight not lose it.)

User avatar
Comedian
Posts: 5456
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

Postby Comedian » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:42 pm

human909 wrote:My advice (that I'm sure many on this forum would concur with):
Stay active and find a way to ENJOY being active. The latter IMO is so very important, because people often stop doing things they don't enjoy.


So, I was obese 8 years ago, and well on the way to being properly obese. I lost 30kg or so and have kept it off for those 8 years. That makes me a very very rare Hooman in our society. I have achieved this by finding the activity I love through riding.

When having the uncomfortable lunch room discussions with co-workers.. I just say you need to do 1h a day of pretty intense exercise .. probably 6 days a week. Finding your 30 might be enough if you're already quite fit but if you want to reverse a lifetime of inactivity you're going to have to do better. There is no magic pill. Sorry.

Then I usually get the "but this, or that, or the other" excuse why they can't ride. I say that's fine - but you'll have to find something else then - but it might be just easier to ride to work.

Anyway.. all a bit off topic to this thread. What I do find interesting though - when you look at crowds of people in Brisbane. There are very good reasons to wear hats - yet I'd be guessing only 1 or 2 % of people actually wear one.

I know wearing a helmet isn't an imposition to a Mamil.. but if you want to get people just to ride around the local area.. it's a massive barrier. Oh well.. doubt it will ever change.

Arbuckle23
Posts: 475
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula

Re: Mandatory Helmet Laws & stuff (MHL discussion)

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:06 am

Interesting video put up on Cycling Tips


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users