Best Clipstack Award

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Best Clipstack Award

Postby Downhill » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:18 pm

OK time for some fun. Given the number of posts about clipstacks, I thought there must be a rich field for the Best Clipstack Award. Clipstacks are easy as falling off a bicycle, but I think people underestimate the years of hard work and dedication that go into stacking it in style!

The idea is simple. Anyone can participate, so post the details of your most memorable clipstack. If the majority of other members agree that yours is the best so far, you go to the top of the list! If you're assessing some one else's stack, give due consideration to the elements of style - speed, originality, degree of difficulty, amount of applause or public acknowledgement, entertainment value, etc.

I'll volunteer this one to get the ball rolling (so many to choose from): Approached a T junction and unclipped my left foot while trying to decide which direction to take. Decided to walk the bike around. Unfortunately I forgot to unclip my RIGHT foot before trying to dismount... Fortunately the two cyclists behind me saw it coming. :oops: :roll:
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am
Location: WA

by BNA » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:25 pm

BNA
 

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby arkle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:25 pm

Fitted clip-in pedals to my bicycle for the very first time. Mounted the bicycle, clipped in, and rolled, with misplaced confidence, down my (level) driveway, out into the street and turned up the hill, discovered I was in top gear, stalled and fell over within two metres of my gate and twisted my ankle.

Next.

arkle
arkle
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Bridgewater, SA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby arkle » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:34 pm

Next...

Later on the same day, with my twisted ankle still hurting, a slow puncture of my front tyre caused a pinch flat as I crossed a ridge in the road and, as I turned a sharp corner, the front tyre rolled off the rim and all my weight went into gouging my bare left knee across the rough tarmac followed by me face-planting the rocky verge so hard that I smashed my sunglasses, knocked my contact lens out, cut my forehead open, gave myself a bloody nose, a grazed chin and a fat lip, and all without me taking my hands off the handlebars.

Hard to fix three puncture holes and ride home with a sore ankle, a leg wound, facial injuries, concussion, mild hypothermia and only one eye working.

arkle
arkle
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Bridgewater, SA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Comedian » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Downhill wrote: Clipstacks are easy as falling off a bicycle


Great idea for a thread. Can I just clarify something though.. The BCA award has to be given to someone who falls over while attached to a bicycle. :D
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4409
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Robdog » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Climbing a small hill (like 30m long...), dropped the chain. Unclipped right side, bike and body leaned left as I stopped and did a beautifully smooth roll onto my back on the grassy verge, the bike was directly up in the air still attached to my extended leg having never touched the ground. The Russian judge would have given me a 9.2/10 for sure
2009 Avanti Cadent Team
2007 Avanti Carbonio Team - Died and gone to heaven
2005 Avanti Barracuda - Reincarnated
Image
Robdog
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:22 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Downhill » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Comedian wrote:
Downhill wrote: Clipstacks are easy as falling off a bicycle


Great idea for a thread. Can I just clarify something though.. The BCA award has to be given to someone who falls over while attached to a bicycle. :D


For the purpose of the award, a "clipstack" is defined as any fall that is directly attributable to the use or attempted use of clips or cleats while cycling. This includes situations where the rider stacks it while trying to get clipped in, as well as situations where the rider only manages to unclip after passing the point of no return. The acid test is whether or not the stack would have occurred if clips or cleats weren't being used. :)

Where the clips aren't the only contributing factor, the assessment needs to be scaled according to the "purity" of the clipstack.
Last edited by Downhill on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am
Location: WA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Downhill » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:30 pm

arkle wrote:Fitted clip-in pedals to my bicycle for the very first time. Mounted the bicycle, clipped in, and rolled, with misplaced confidence, down my (level) driveway, out into the street and turned up the hill, discovered I was in top gear, stalled and fell over within two metres of my gate and twisted my ankle.

Next.

arkle

+1 for the twisted ankle (ouch) and stacking it within the first 2 metres.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am
Location: WA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Downhill » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:34 pm

Robdog wrote:Climbing a small hill (like 30m long...), dropped the chain. Unclipped right side, bike and body leaned left as I stopped and did a beautifully smooth roll onto my back on the grassy verge, the bike was directly up in the air still attached to my extended leg having never touched the ground. The Russian judge would have given me a 9.2/10 for sure


+1 for the classic roll, stylish finish and the added touch of a dropped chain. Well executed.

So far we appear to have a draw - one vote each!
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am
Location: WA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Downhill » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:38 pm

arkle wrote:Next...

Later on the same day, with my twisted ankle still hurting, a slow puncture of my front tyre caused a pinch flat as I crossed a ridge in the road and, as I turned a sharp corner, the front tyre rolled off the rim and all my weight went into gouging my bare left knee across the rough tarmac followed by me face-planting the rocky verge so hard that I smashed my sunglasses, knocked my contact lens out, cut my forehead open, gave myself a bloody nose, a grazed chin and a fat lip, and all without me taking my hands off the handlebars.

Hard to fix three puncture holes and ride home with a sore ankle, a leg wound, facial injuries, concussion, mild hypothermia and only one eye working.

arkle


Would the stack have still occurred if you weren't using clips?
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am
Location: WA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby arkle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:39 am

Downhill wrote:
arkle wrote:Next...

Later on the same day, with my twisted ankle still hurting, a slow puncture of my front tyre caused a pinch flat as I crossed a ridge in the road and, as I turned a sharp corner, the front tyre rolled off the rim and all my weight went into gouging my bare left knee across the rough tarmac followed by me face-planting the rocky verge so hard that I smashed my sunglasses, knocked my contact lens out, cut my forehead open, gave myself a bloody nose, a grazed chin and a fat lip, and all without me taking my hands off the handlebars.

Hard to fix three puncture holes and ride home with a sore ankle, a leg wound, facial injuries, concussion, mild hypothermia and only one eye working.

arkle


Would the stack have still occurred if you weren't using clips?


Umm yes well no, maybe, the rule police introduced new entry conditions after I had submitted my story.

But the clips certainly magnified the extent of my injuries. I'm sure that, had I not been attached to the pedals, I wouldn't have made such a mess of my knee and face.

arkle
arkle
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Bridgewater, SA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Downhill » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:31 pm

arkle wrote:
Downhill wrote:
arkle wrote:Next...

Later on the same day, with my twisted ankle still hurting, a slow puncture of my front tyre caused a pinch flat as I crossed a ridge in the road and, as I turned a sharp corner, the front tyre rolled off the rim and all my weight went into gouging my bare left knee across the rough tarmac followed by me face-planting the rocky verge so hard that I smashed my sunglasses, knocked my contact lens out, cut my forehead open, gave myself a bloody nose, a grazed chin and a fat lip, and all without me taking my hands off the handlebars.

Hard to fix three puncture holes and ride home with a sore ankle, a leg wound, facial injuries, concussion, mild hypothermia and only one eye working.

arkle


Would the stack have still occurred if you weren't using clips?


Umm yes well no, maybe, the rule police introduced new entry conditions after I had submitted my story.

But the clips certainly magnified the extent of my injuries. I'm sure that, had I not been attached to the pedals, I wouldn't have made such a mess of my knee and face.

arkle


Guilty as charged. :D It's still a very good stack, and there has to be some recognition for having two stacks on the same day!
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am
Location: WA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Mir » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:04 pm

2nd day with new bike. Wanted to stop at the side of the road to adjust my shoes.

Clipped out with left foot, edging slowly towards the pavement. Hit the kerb too hard with my left foot and fell to the right, face planting with a car swerving behind me.

The car was full of laughing children and an anxious looking mother.

It was also the first scratch on my bike:p

The week after, fell TWICE at the same spot. Hadn't moved a meter. Was about to start off on a slight hill, lost balance and fell to the left. got back on this time with my right foot clipped in first for a stronger push and fell to the right this time against a barrier. Quite awkward being stuck in between a bike angled over you and a concrete barrier whilst still clipped in.

Haven't made one for a while now but we'll see. Heading to the Blue Mountains for a few days soon for some decent climbs, not planning on stopping on any hills:p
User avatar
Mir
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby arkle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:59 pm

Mir wrote:2nd day with new bike. Wanted to stop at the side of the road to adjust my shoes.

Clipped out with left foot, edging slowly towards the pavement. Hit the kerb too hard with my left foot and fell to the right, face planting with a car swerving behind me.

The car was full of laughing children and an anxious looking mother.

It was also the first scratch on my bike:p

The week after, fell TWICE at the same spot. Hadn't moved a meter. Was about to start off on a slight hill, lost balance and fell to the left. got back on this time with my right foot clipped in first for a stronger push and fell to the right this time against a barrier. Quite awkward being stuck in between a bike angled over you and a concrete barrier whilst still clipped in.

Haven't made one for a while now but we'll see. Heading to the Blue Mountains for a few days soon for some decent climbs, not planning on stopping on any hills:p


lol mir, ha ha, OMGosh why are clipstacks so funny
arkle
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Bridgewater, SA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Downhill » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Mir wrote:2nd day with new bike. Wanted to stop at the side of the road to adjust my shoes.

Clipped out with left foot, edging slowly towards the pavement. Hit the kerb too hard with my left foot and fell to the right, face planting with a car swerving behind me.

The car was full of laughing children and an anxious looking mother.

It was also the first scratch on my bike:p

The week after, fell TWICE at the same spot. Hadn't moved a meter. Was about to start off on a slight hill, lost balance and fell to the left. got back on this time with my right foot clipped in first for a stronger push and fell to the right this time against a barrier. Quite awkward being stuck in between a bike angled over you and a concrete barrier whilst still clipped in.

Haven't made one for a while now but we'll see. Heading to the Blue Mountains for a few days soon for some decent climbs, not planning on stopping on any hills:p


You get my vote. Nice complexity and a hint of danger. A traffic-side clipstack coupled with face plant, car swerve and appreciative audience! Falling off three times at the same spot is a good effort too. So is getting stuck. :D
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am
Location: WA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Riding across a 45 degree grassy slope in Forster NSW just east of the fish co-op near the enclosed baths. Decide that I want to stop and admire the views of Wallis Lake.

Unclip. Put foot down... on the downslope side of the bike. Well, I would have, if it wasn't so down sloped. So over I go. And over. And over. :oops: Deep bruisin to inner thighs from top tube, as I was still attached. Oh, and to the ego as well. :P
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10205
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby cyho11 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:19 am

I was rolling along the footpath at approx 7km/hr. As I approached the crossing, I quickly checked for cars turning in to the side street. Saw that the coast was clear so I stood up and got ready to power across the crossing and make my way onto the main road.

Lo and behold, in that split second just before I entered the road, a car from nowhere turned into the street right in front of me. I braked hard to a standstill, and toppled over, both feet still clipped in.

To make matters worse, I was in my FDJ kit :( What an embarassment. :oops:
cyho11
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Downhill » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:00 am

trailgumby wrote:... Unclip. Put foot down... on the downslope side of the bike. Well, I would have, if it wasn't so down sloped. So over I go. And over. And over. :oops: Deep bruisin to inner thighs from top tube, as I was still attached. Oh, and to the ego as well. :P


Nice work Trailgumby, chaining a series of clipstacks together is the mark of a true professional! Never mind the bruises - was the bike OK? :shock:

cyho11 wrote:... I was rolling along the footpath at approx 7km/hr. As I approached the crossing, I quickly checked for cars turning in to the side street. Saw that the coast was clear so I stood up and got ready to power across the crossing and make my way onto the main road.

Lo and behold, in that split second just before I entered the road, a car from nowhere turned into the street right in front of me. I braked hard to a standstill, and toppled over, both feet still clipped in.

To make matters worse, I was in my FDJ kit What an embarassment. :P


Ah, the old "surprise the cyclist" trick followed by the classic "brake & fall". The added embarrassment of doing it your FDJ kit rates an honourable mention.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am
Location: WA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Max » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:06 am

I reckon Gumby's just ahead of Mir. Just. :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
User avatar
Max
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby arkle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:18 pm

I can't remember who it was now but someone once posted about pulling up at a red traffic light alongside some cars, forgetting to unclip and falling in slow motion to the left, under a bollard and into a large workmen's hole with the bike still attached to his feet.

Was it someone on here?

arkle
arkle
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Bridgewater, SA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Baldy » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:14 pm

I had a bunch of clipstacks while learning to use them on MTB's in the late 90's. But only had my first one since taking up cycling again late last year just recently.

I was going up the first climb on the TT course in Geelong, during the womens race I think[on the right hand side about 50m from the top]. People, cameras everywhere.....a family sitting in their driveway with a tv enjoying the broadcast while watching the talented athletes ride past.......cue doofus......I had stopped to take a photo of a rider going past, went to take off but did not notice my rear wheel was still on the grass[my front wheel was on a concrete driveway] It was steep so I started out of the saddle, the back wheel spun, I didnt move forward and I fell in an awkward heap on the driveway :lol:

I had to laugh, until I realized I took a 20c piece size chunk out of my elbow and scratched up my mirror/shifter/derailer a bit. Then I was just annoyed :roll:

I must get points for making an international, world class fool of myself :mrgreen:
Baldy
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Downhill » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:23 pm

Baldy, that's a nice mixture of concrete and grass with a touch of wheel spin and a big, embarrasing finish. If it was caught on camera you might even make money on Funniest Home Videos!

I'm embarrassed to admit that I had another stack today. I'd just come off a cycleway that ran down the right hand side of a major suburban road and stopped at one of Perth's busiest T intersections. Made it across the slip lane onto the traffic island. Then the lights changed against me so I unclipped my left foot and stopped.

The layout of the island was a bit different. Instead of having a ramp up onto the paved island, there was a mini cycle lane across the end of the island with very high kerbs on both sides. Only one problem - the button for the "Walk / Cycle" sign was set about a metre away from the kerb on my right-hand side. I was sure I could reach it if I could just stretch - a - little - bit - further........ Uh oh!........ There were six lanes of traffic wondering why a cyclist was lying flat on his back on the traffic island with his bike in the air. :oops: :roll: :mrgreen:
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am
Location: WA

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Robdog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:52 pm

I had another today too - Stopped at a set of lights, clipped in left foot. Go to take off, great big BANG from the drivetrain and I found myself on my side - thankfully there was an enormous cycle lane and a fell away from the traffic. The landing was enough to twist my seatpost 45 degrees and put my stem out of line. Also got a huge mark on my DA skewer :(

Ar$eholes in the commodore 3 cars back thought it was hilarious. Ar$eholes
2009 Avanti Cadent Team
2007 Avanti Carbonio Team - Died and gone to heaven
2005 Avanti Barracuda - Reincarnated
Image
Robdog
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:22 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Max » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:29 am

Robdog wrote:I had another today too - Stopped at a set of lights, clipped in left foot. Go to take off, great big BANG from the drivetrain and I found myself on my side - thankfully there was an enormous cycle lane and a fell away from the traffic. The landing was enough to twist my seatpost 45 degrees and put my stem out of line. Also got a huge mark on my DA skewer :(

Ar$eholes in the commodore 3 cars back thought it was hilarious. Ar$eholes


In fairness to the commode drivers, I probably would've laughed too. :oops: It sounds like you're OK though. Importantly, is the bike OK? Is the mark on the skewer something you can buff out?

And Downhill... that's funny. I can just imagine you reaching.. and reaching.. and reeeeaaaaaccccchhhhhhhing before finally tipping over. :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
User avatar
Max
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:29 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Robdog » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:25 am

I probably should mention the bogan-ness of the Ar$eholes, and their efforts to direct a Nelson Muntz style HA HA at me rather than keep their Ar$ehole BS to themselves -And Max, I don't know that you wouldn't have been pretty concerned, it felt like it would have looked very nasty, standing on the pedal and then going over, left side of the bike took the full force of the fall. I'm very glad there doesn't appear to be any damage other than the mark on the QR which will never buff out :cry:
2009 Avanti Cadent Team
2007 Avanti Carbonio Team - Died and gone to heaven
2005 Avanti Barracuda - Reincarnated
Image
Robdog
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:22 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Downhill » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:49 pm

Robdog wrote:I had another today too - Stopped at a set of lights, clipped in left foot. Go to take off, great big BANG from the drivetrain and I found myself on my side - thankfully there was an enormous cycle lane and a fell away from the traffic. The landing was enough to twist my seatpost 45 degrees and put my stem out of line. Also got a huge mark on my DA skewer :(

Ar$eholes in the commodore 3 cars back thought it was hilarious. Ar$eholes


Ouch! Sorry to here about the mark on the skewer! A crunchy left-side stack with bike damage and a boganised "Ha Ha". Not bad!

In fairness to Arkle, it sounds like the stack was primarily caused by mechanical failure. Would the outcome have been substantially different if you weren't clipped in?
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am
Location: WA

Next

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: human909



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter