Best Clipstack Award

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Best Clipstack Award

Postby Downhill » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:09 am

ironhanglider wrote: I'll go out on a limb here and guess that you have small feet and have 3 bolt type cleats (Look, SPD-SL etc). I've noticed that this combination always causes release problems and suspect that the small shoes have a tighter radius curve on the sole of the shoe which distorts the cleat....

I have SPD-SL's. I solved the problem by setting the cleats slightly toe-in. This makes them release more quickly. You don't have turn your heel out as far before they unclip.

Regrettably this information could lead to a reduction in the number of nominees for the Best Clip Stack Award! :shock: :mrgreen:

I nearly became a contributor again this week, but I was saved by a handy wire fence and an impromptu performance of the Clip Stack Shuffle.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6
Downhill

by BNA » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:21 am

BNA

Postby Schmenz » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:21 am

ironhanglider wrote:
Schmenz wrote:... Having clipstacked it only the day before... To make matters worse I was then stuck there like a beached whale still attached and struggling to get my feet out..

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that you have small feet and have 3 bolt type cleats (Look, SPD-SL etc). I've noticed that this combination always causes release problems and suspect that the small shoes have a tighter radius curve on the sole of the shoe which distorts the cleat. I put a washer under the front of the cleat at the front bolt to "flatten" the curve on my wife's shoes and she found clipping in and out much easier. Some Mr Sheen on the pedal as a lubricant between it and the cleat wouldn't hurt either.

After all that my wife decided she needed to be able to walk after riding so she changed to Crank Bros pedals and MTB shoes and they work well for her too.

Cheers,

Cameron

EXACTLY!

US mens size 4-5 :D and spd-sl's. I now have speedplays and havent had a clipstack yet! (although this morning was close when i tried the overpass- and got to the turn at the end.. grabbed onto the fence instead! a LOT more stable than otto bins!)
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com
Schmenz

Postby Sweeper59 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:54 am

A mate turned up for a morning ride about a month ago with blood flowing from a gash in his nose. It took us a while to get the full story out of him, but he finally confessed. It turned out he had ridden up his steep driveway to the road, then remembered he'd left his sunglasses on his garage bench. So he headed back down the driveway. He generally 'bunny-hopped' over a sunken paver at the bottom of the driveway most days, but he misjudged it this day, and the front wheel stopped in the hole. Paul went over the handlebars with the bike still attached, and almost completed a full circle before his bike hit the garage door.

We were also involved in an embarressing 'group clip stack' some time ago. I think it might have been the 2009 'Loop The Lake Ride' (Newcastle, NSW). There were about 10 of us travelled down from Port Macquarie. We all had matching outfits, and we arrived at the start in formation - looked pretty impressive, I reckon :D However, one of the girls forgot to unclip as she pulled up, took out about half of our group and a few bystanders as well. It wasn't quite the entry we had planned to make....
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!
Sweeper59

Postby duds2u » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Last Sundays ride.

We had completed 80 of a hot and steamy 100k ride when we came to the only set of lights on the ride and they were for a pedestrian crossing. Yes, they were red, I was dehydrated and the next thing I know is I'm sliding, ever so slowly, down the the light post for an ever so gentle clip stack. It was that gentle that the bike didn't even hit the ground.

Buggered if i know what happened but the last thing I remember was slowing, slowing waiting for the lights and then tryng to clip out when it was too late.
It would have been a laugh for the guys in the car beside me though.

I did feel better about 10k further down the road when a 15year old girl stuck her head out the window of a passing car and screamed "nice ass bitch"". I'll take any compliment like that from some one who is old enough to be my grand daughter. :shock: :twisted: :lol:
duds2u

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy