Green paint in Clover's bike lanes

trailgumby

Green paint in Clover's bike lanes

Postby trailgumby » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:37 pm

Just a heads-up: take it easy in the wet on Clover's bike lanes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQuvGRQK ... er&list=UL[/youtube]

il padrone

Re: Green paint in Clover's bike lanes

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:24 am

Ouch!!

Tiles!! Never a good thing for traction when riding. In the wet, double-danger :(

And I must say, I really do not like the style of the bike lane merging with regular traffic on the right, nor riding in the second lane from the right, with buses overtaking on your left. Road allocation in Sydney looks screwed.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

sogood

Postby sogood » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Sorry to see the crash. But given you were turning, did the front tyre actually lose it on the green paint, or mossy tiles, or white painted boundary line? I thought there were more than one suspect.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

zero

Postby zero » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:38 pm

sogood wrote:Sorry to see the crash. But given you were turning, did the front tyre actually lose it on the green paint, or mossy tiles, or white painted boundary line? I thought there were more than one suspect.
I don't think that is trailgumby. The paint hasn't filled in the tile grooves, and add some combined braking + turning with narrow tires + water lubrication and the wheel has railroaded down a tile groove line. Rider is probably lucky more than anything that he didn't land sideways on the little kerb thing, its a real hip breaker. I don't think the paint is currently particularly slippery there, but I imagine it will get worse.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Top marks for not at least muttering something

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:50 pm

It definitely looks slippery on those tiles. That said the line that cyclist taking seems far from ideal. In the wet you need to take wider gentler lines. The more I replay that footage the more I am appalled by the line that that cyclists is taking. You gotta be gentle, instead he tries a quick left hander. You either need to slow right down or veer into the right hand lane first. Personally I'd be making that turn from the right hand lane.

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Like dogshit on a wet lawn :twisted:

russellgarrard

Postby russellgarrard » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:35 am

While whoever runs the bicycle path should be held liable due to the poor design/construction. I'd have to find the bicycle rider at least partially at fault for excessive speed in the circumstances.

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:28 am

Ouch. Hope you're ok. :shock:

Was the problem the tiles, or the green paint? It looked like you were on the paint when you came off, but fell onto the tiles. The green lanes here (Melbourne) typically have material (glass beads or aggregates) mixed into them to provide grip, giving them a sandpaper-like texture. A bit scary in the dry, but a lot grippier in the wet. Do they use these in Sydney?

(Also, a tip: If you've got any road-rash, try cleaning it and putting Tegaderm on it. Never again will I make the mistake of using Elastoplast spray-on bandages, not after the underpants-glued-to-road-rash incident. :lol: :cry: )
- Dave

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:40 am

Isn't that DavidSydneyCyclist's youtube channel?

+10 Jens points for getting straight back on the bike, then checking for damage after riding away 8)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Nate

Postby Nate » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:17 pm

m@ wrote:Isn't that DavidSydneyCyclist's youtube channel?
looks like it!

yeah even in the dry i take it wide, signal left (so someone doesnt pass on the left as i've just veered right)... and turn in slowly...

The green stuff isnt that bad actually & is a LOT better than not having it, its like the red bus lanes, pretty sure its an epoxy coating - like sandpaper really.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:29 pm

trailgumby wrote:Just a heads-up: take it easy in the wet on Clover's bike lanes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQuvGRQK ... er&list=UL[/youtube]
Took this path in yesterday's rain but I was probably going at 1/3 of your speed and I also have fatter wheels. So managed to survive this bike lane but yep, slippery in the rain - whether green or not.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.